Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Gear Shoot-Outs / Sound File Comparisons / Audio Tests (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-shoot-outs-sound-file-comparisons-audio-tests/)
-   -   Play & Record 10 times - AD/DA loop back test (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-shoot-outs-sound-file-comparisons-audio-tests/598078-play-amp-record-10-times-ad-da-loop-back-test.html)

smilinjames 25th January 2012 08:38 PM

I'd like to hear the songs

I get that it can be subjective to judge by simply listening, but I'm REALLY interested to know how these songs sound, before and after 10X.

Early on someone was posting .wav's of the difference between original and 10X (using some kind of inverted phase-elimination), but just because something isn't such a match that it eliminates the original wave doesn't mean it's changed dramatically in terms of the end result.

Would anyone be willing to post an original/10X .wav pair for comparison?

adrianww 25th January 2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smilinjames (Post 7486134)
I get that it can be subjective to judge by simply listening, but I'm REALLY interested to know how these songs sound, before and after 10X.

Early on someone was posting .wav's of the difference between original and 10X (using some kind of inverted phase-elimination), but just because something isn't such a match that it eliminates the original wave doesn't mean it's changed dramatically in terms of the end result.

Would anyone be willing to post an original/10X .wav pair for comparison?

I carried out the loopback test from this thread on my Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 a couple of weeks ago. The raw results file (containing the 1st, 4th and 10th passes) can be found here. You'll need to go to the original thread to pick up the original test file.

There are actually two sets of results in the zip file - one using the line inputs associated with the standard Focusrite input channels and one using the line inputs associated with the Liquid pre channels. In theory, the two should be the same (since the Liquid pre emulations don't apply to the line inputs at all), but I ran into some subtle gain staging problem on the Liquid test with the result that things were seriously clipping by the 10th pass. So don't pay much mind to the Liquid input results - that 10th pass is probably going to sound godawful. The others should be OK for a listen though.

As far as I know, these results haven't yet been processed to give an overall report on the LS56 (so I don't know whether there were any other issues in my test runs that I don't yet know about) but the raw results are there for you to hear if you want.

nms 26th January 2012 01:24 AM

Sorry on the delay there adrian.. I forgot to add it since it was in the thread rather than my inbox! You're right, it looked pretty grim! Results are in the other thread now.

@smilinjames- Null tests will show exactly how drastic of a change has been made to the audio file. The greater the difference the more is left behind. Bad clocking can mess up the results a bit though so examining the waveforms as I've done in the other thread help to solidify things.

elijahlucian 31st January 2012 11:24 PM

thought I would add a mix in here. I couldn't get the original file and it seems that the guy's website is not working anymore. if you need a host I would be happy to host the results on my webspace. (i have unlimited space and bandwidth.)

I did these tests thru my motu 896mk3 I had to turn the preamps up about a quarter of the way to match the volume.. so I'm not sure how much that tainted this test. (otherwise it would have been about -12db down every time. the 10th pass I have the original and then the normalized. no other processing was done to these files.

I did this test in FL Studio 10 (sometimes considered to have the worst audio engine on the planet?) and with my low budget recording interface I had expected MUCH worse than what I actually got.

In fact I can hardly hear a difference between the original and the 10th. but I'll let you decide.

anyways the files are here:

here is the original:

http://www.elijahlucian.com/audiotes...flstudio10.wav

10th pass, unprocessed: (it's a few db quieter than the other one.)

http://www.elijahlucian.com/audiotes...nprocessed.wav

10th pass, normalized:

http://www.elijahlucian.com/audiotes...normalized.wav

here's the folder if needed at all:

http://www.elijahlucian.com/audiotests

ScumBum 4th February 2012 02:08 AM

You know if you feed a pig marmalade , you would get "marmalade flavored bacon " . Mmmmmm marmalade bacon .........

So I don't think its that bad of an idea .

kraku 5th March 2012 09:32 PM

The files in the first post were lost due to server crash. I suggest people go to the new thread that was started after this one. The new thread can be found from here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...ut-thread.html

KT1 29th March 2012 11:16 AM

I have to say, this is the type of thread that reminds me why it's great subscribing to a forum like this. I love the collaborative effort from all who have particiapted in understanding and testing the quality of products we rave and review.

Now that's out of the way. For those of us who are less tech savy (ME!) Can someone (already posted on an alternative thread) please break down practically (just like a scientific conclusion) where we are post round 1. My interest is driven from my current research to upgrade from an RME FF800 to a Halo or prism. Without understanding what the maths/numbers mean to me it's very hard to draw a conclusion.

Could someone help explain relative to the current results realised? I have tried both units in my home space and the difference from what i hear out the monitor to what is recorded from my synths etc is obvious to the ear. Both units sound great. Making this choice is not easy!

Many thanks in advance.

buzzy 16th December 2012 06:20 PM

The links are dead... Anyone able to repost it?

Thx

kraku 16th December 2012 07:57 PM

Unfortunately the files were destroyed in a server crash.

JulianFernandez 17th December 2012 09:21 PM

Do u remember how all the interfaces ranked? Thanks!

kraku 17th December 2012 11:00 PM

IIRC, Lynx HILO ranked highest in transparency. I can't remember which was the second one, could have been Metric Halo, but the third one was MOTU 2408MK3 and 828MK2. All those four were extremely close to each other in results. (these are results from the follow-up thread that was deleted from these forums due to trolls)

JulianFernandez 18th December 2012 06:23 AM

Thanks!

didier.brest 19th December 2012 11:26 PM

There is still this thread based on the same principle.

lipa 29th January 2013 01:27 PM

Anyone can upload all the original wav files from this thread? I'm most interested in Motu 828 mk2 vs Mytek comparision.. also anyone run this through Roland octacapture?

How can this be possible that motu is such a great unit in measurment test while being considered decent (at most) converters comparing to mytek and metric halo etc. (I've had motu ultralite mk3 and returned it to shop after one hour of listening to it's converters.. dull and lifeless..compared to rme and midas venice f32 converters).
hooppie

Audiop 29th January 2013 09:20 PM

Some of the best acoustic (classical and similar in good halls, minimally processed) recordings I have ever heard was recorded with a Motu.

/Peter

ABBA 30th January 2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Some of the best acoustic (classical and similar in good halls, minimally processed) recordings I have ever heard was recorded with a Motu.

/Peter
+ 1

stinkyfingers 30th January 2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lipa (Post 8690899)
How can this be possible that motu is such a great unit in measurment test while being considered decent (at most) converters comparing to mytek and metric halo etc. (I've had motu ultralite mk3 and returned it to shop after one hour of listening to it's converters.. dull and lifeless..compared to rme and midas venice f32 converters).
hooppie

the 'filters' of the converter (or lack thereof) play a big part in the outcome of this test...

xav 14th September 2013 10:30 AM

I think the same converters appear in a different order in your other test
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...fmaker-11.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by didier.brest (Post 6591634)
Time delay, level difference and null depth measured by Audio Diffmaker. The higher the last two figures in dB, the closer to the original after time delay and gain being compensated for.

Focusrite Safire
-10,25msec, -0,982dB (L), -1,291dB (R)..Corr Depth: 6,2 dB (L), 6,3 dB (R)

Fireface 400
-356usec, -1,467dB (L), -1,062dB (R)..Corr Depth: 7,7 dB (L), 7,6 dB (R)

Orpheus
13,04msec, 0,171dB (L), 0,058dB (R)..Corr Depth: 12,8 dB (L), 12,6 dB (R)

Metric Halo
-70,81msec, -0,229dB (L), -0,157dB (R)..Corr Depth: 18,1 dB (L), 17,9 dB (R)

Apogee
-12,92msec, 0,066dB (L), 0,210dB (R)..Corr Depth: 21,4 dB (L), 21,9 dB (R)

Orpheus
-1sec, 0,075dB (L), 0,064dB (R)..Corr Depth: 30,8 dB (L), 32,4 dB (R)

Mytek
-1,002sec, 0,450dB (L), 0,553dB (R)..Corr Depth: 35,3 dB (L), 36,9 dB (R)

didier.brest 14th September 2013 11:56 AM

I do not see which inconsistency you are pointing out. In both tests the ranking is

Saffire < Fireface 400 < Orpheus < Mytek

The Apogee here is an AD-DA 16 and the Metric Halo is an ULN-8. They are not in my test.

xav 14th September 2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by didier.brest (Post 9421594)
I do not see which inconsistency you are pointing out. In both tests the ranking is

Saffire < Fireface 400 < Orpheus < Mytek

The Apogee here is an AD-DA 16 and the Metric Halo is an ULN-8. They are not in my test.

Sorry, I thought that were the same Metric Halo and same Apogee.
ULN2 and ULN8 might have different results.

xav 14th September 2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kraku (Post 6498094)

EDIT:

All the test results people post in this thread will be mirrored in this URL, including the original reference audio file:

AD/DA 10x Loopback Test Results

Current audio interface results in the above URL:

The link seems broken. Is there any other way to see all the results?

didier.brest 14th September 2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xav (Post 9421722)
Sorry, I thought that were the same Metric Halo and same Apogee.
ULN2 and ULN8 might have different results.

They should have different results: ULN2 has second generation converters while ULN8 has third generation converters.