The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Play & Record 10 times - AD/DA loop back test
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku View Post
I would prefer to use the original reference file, since it contains lots of natural sound sources which people are accustomed in hearing every day and they have incredible amount of nuances in those sounds. Also the dynamics are excessive. All these have lots of potential in revealing any flaws with the AD/DA conversion the given interface has.
yes it s good ! thanks for doing this ,i lisened the 5 pass test and it confirmed what i think about rme sound,rme make everyhting sound steril and unpleasant,it tired the ears, digitis sound .just one a/d pass and it s already printed on the source.
Old 9th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract View Post
yes it s good ! i lisened the 5 pass test and it confirmed what i think about rme sound,rme making everyhting sound steril and unplesant is not a legend !
Notice that the original RME test was affected by the patchbay. I've uploaded a new RME test result where there's no patchbay between the I/O.
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

i edited my post to get more in detail , i listened the old sample my bad !but it s years i use rme products and i can t stand them anymore . i almost hate their sound, imo their clock suck big time as even clocked to a audiofire it sound better to me.
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjoubaud View Post
Yes, I definitly did and the file I sent you definitly is the one that went 10 times in the convertors.
You have to understand that the uln8 is one of the best convertors out there.
I'm pretty sure that the saffire did not go 10 times in the adda though. I think the word would have circulated if it was that good
there is lot of hype and placebo with converters so i m not sure of this. tomorrow i could record 2 orpheus pass and tell one is a echo audiofire , then everyone will buy echo and tell how good it sound .
Old 9th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjoubaud View Post
I'm pretty sure that the saffire did not go 10 times in the adda though. I think the word would have circulated if it was that good
I actually got a confirmation from the guy who made the Saffire LE test that the signal did go through the converters 10 times as it should have. I know the guy well enough that I trust he didn't cheat. I suspect the reason the word hasn't circulated is that no-one has done this kind of an experiment before. This test magnifies the conversion artifacts ten fold.

But to me it seems (based on this test so far) that all of the audio interfaces sound really good. Maybe the audio converter technology has finally come of age?
Old 10th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract View Post
there is lot of hype and placebo with converters so i m not sure of this. tomorrow i could record 2 orpheus pass and tell one is a echo audiofire , then everyone will buy echo and tell how good it sound .
I hear ya, and I would never buy a piece of gear only bases on some internet review. But here's my experience when it comes to the interfaces I've owned :

I started with a motu 828 a while back, then upgraded to RME FF800. A couple of years later I added a UA 2192 (which blew me away, didn't expect such a difference). I then replaced the FF800 with a aurora 8, and recently got the ULN8.
I've always had the older units to compare with the newer ones
The RME was very much better than the Motu, without a doubt.
The Lynx was a little better than the RME soundwise only (this is a move I wouldn't recommend to others)
The ULN8 is much better than the aurora but not better than UA 2192.

I made my living from recording and mixing for the last 5 years (mostly post production work but also music), and everything that can make my results better, I take.
But I'd definitely agree that there are far more important things than converters.
Old 23rd April 2011
Gear Maniac

What is the name of the song which is used for testing?
Tomorrow upload Prism Orpheus result.
Old 24th April 2011
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear

can someone test with the Apogee AD16x Please? thanks dude's!
Old 24th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainTime View Post
What is the name of the song which is used for testing?
Tomorrow upload Prism Orpheus result.
The song is Aaron Neville's "It Feels Like Rain".

I've added your sample to the list. Thank you!
Old 24th April 2011
Gear Maniac

U r welcome !
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear

Great thread ! thumbsup
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Aurora 8

I'll try and do the test with the original file thru my aurora this weekend.

Is it my poor ears or do these examples sound pretty similar? I thought there would be more degradation in some of those files?
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

they all sound similar, with the prism sounding better than the original - go figure
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton92 View Post
can someone test with the Apogee AD16x Please? thanks dude's!
I only saw this thread today, but I am game. I will do it tomorrow! My friend next door down the hall has the 192 interface. I will ask him to do the test as well. I would love to hear the new HD interfaces and even more so the Symphony I/O.

I think the idea here is good. You magnify the "problem" in each converter. Mind you, the cabling will have some effect too. I did this test once before, only to find out that my patchbay shaved off 1 dB and a lot of HF from the sound. That patchbay was out the door 10 minutes later... Some of the issues came from some really cheap patch cables, even if they were a few inches long only.
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Very interesting! I'll gladly test the Duet 2 as soon as I receive my preorder.
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

Here the results from my freshly reset Apogee DA16x into the AD16x (connected by X-HD card to ProTools 9 on a Mac). The cables used is two Cordial dsub to 8x XLR - specified for use with AES/EBU digital signal. This means higher standard than "plain" audio specs. Think military specs. ;-)

I think you can hear the warm hug from the Apogee pillowing the enclosed file. I needed to give it a 1.35 dB gain boost to make it read out the same on my meters.

N-joi!
Attached Files

ApogeeDA_AD16X-GAIN_10.wav (7.23 MB, 1646 views)

Old 28th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOHAMI View Post
they all sound similar, with the prism sounding better than the original - go figure
Yes they do. That's the really surprising part, at least for me.

@World Studios:
Apogee added to the list.
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Mytek 8x192 and Prism Orpheus after play & record one time.
Download Mytek_Prism.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

Time delay, level difference and null depth measured by Audio Diffmaker. The higher the last two figures in dB, the closer to the original after time delay and gain being compensated for.

Focusrite Safire
-10,25msec, -0,982dB (L), -1,291dB (R)..Corr Depth: 6,2 dB (L), 6,3 dB (R)

Fireface 400
-356usec, -1,467dB (L), -1,062dB (R)..Corr Depth: 7,7 dB (L), 7,6 dB (R)

Orpheus
13,04msec, 0,171dB (L), 0,058dB (R)..Corr Depth: 12,8 dB (L), 12,6 dB (R)

Metric Halo
-70,81msec, -0,229dB (L), -0,157dB (R)..Corr Depth: 18,1 dB (L), 17,9 dB (R)

Apogee
-12,92msec, 0,066dB (L), 0,210dB (R)..Corr Depth: 21,4 dB (L), 21,9 dB (R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainTime View Post
Mytek 8x192 and Prism Orpheus after play & record one time.
Download Mytek_Prism.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
Orpheus
-1sec, 0,075dB (L), 0,064dB (R)..Corr Depth: 30,8 dB (L), 32,4 dB (R)

Mytek
-1,002sec, 0,450dB (L), 0,553dB (R)..Corr Depth: 35,3 dB (L), 36,9 dB (R)
Old 29th April 2011
Lives for gear

Who said math could not be sexy? This tells me the Apogee fared the best so far in the 10x test and that the Mytek is going to be at least in the same league, if not slightly better. But our ears do not hear math. The proof is in the listening tests, in all their gooey subjectivity. :-)
Old 29th April 2011
@MainTime:

For reference purposes, could you use the original sample which can be found from the folder with the rest of the audio samples?
Old 29th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Mate, example of working Mytek converter I receive from my friend.
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

Cool thread. I have some Echo units I will do this with when I get a chance.
Old 30th April 2011
Gear Addict

Has anyone attempted a blind listening test? If so, what were the results? Other than the math, it's the only real way to make an unbiased observation.
Old 30th April 2011
Gear Maniac

1 - Prism
2 - Metric Halo
3 - Apogee
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

I rated them like this so far:

1) Apogee

2) Metric
3) Prism

4) RME
5) Sapphire

I think Apogee is clearly the closest to the original, new found respect for them. Prism rather overpriced/overrated after this listening imo.
Old 30th April 2011
Please notice that if the audio clips are 0.2dB louder/quieter to the original, it will skew the blind listening tests somewhat. For such tests please first match the volumes super precisely before starting the blind test.
Old 3rd May 2011
Here for the gear

Digi 192

Hello: I have results from this test on Digidesign 192 IO. PM me your email address so I can it send to you?

Last edited by lamixer; 3rd May 2011 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 3rd May 2011
Here for the gear

How I made my 192 loopback test:

I connected my D-Sub to XLR snakes out-to-in. I used a tone to check the input level and found channels 1-2 were showing exactly -18.0db input from the tone sent out 1-2. I created a 24bit 44.1 session and imported the file. I played the original out 1-2 recorded on another track input 1-2 (output to an unused bus). Subsequent passes I changed the output from the just-recorded track to output 1-2 and made the previous source track inactive. Etc until pass 10 was done.

I lined up with sample accuracy the 10th pass versus the original.

I then check levels (painstakingly) and found one side 0.3db off the other 0.1db off. I processed the track with the Audiosuite Gain plug which re-wrote the file and thus the file should also line up correctly.

More thoughts to come.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search