The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Black Lion Audio Profire 2626 mod vs. stock Profire 2626
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Just wanted to also add that if you are going to do another comparison, I think it would be more interesting to use stock clocks.

Thanks for taking the time to do this though!
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkster View Post
Just wanted to also add that if you are going to do another comparison, I think it would be more interesting to use stock clocks.

Thanks for taking the time to do this though!
The BLA mkll clock is suppose to be part of the mod. I would do it with the mkll clock on the modified unit and internal on the stock. There is not enough room in a 1U for a clock mod/swap!! That way we could see if the total $870 mod is worth it. Which to me it is.
Old 26th May 2012
Here for the gear

Hey floks...
I´m a new member of this great forum, and as many users on this thread I own a profire 2626. I´m really interested on doing this mod, but as I´m from Brazil, it would coust me a ceartain amount of money just to send it and take it back from Chicago.
Also, I´m a graduated student of Eletrical Engineering, so I´m encouraging myself to try a mod on it, wich doesn´t apear to be so dificult by looking at the pictures that chicagoisonfire posted. So if someone could post some high resolution pictures of the areas that were modded showing the components terminals to see where it was soldered, and the values or reference of the replaced components, It would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.
Pepeu.
Old 27th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepeu View Post
Hey floks...
I´m a new member of this great forum, and as many users on this thread I own a profire 2626. I´m really interested on doing this mod, but as I´m from Brazil, it would coust me a ceartain amount of money just to send it and take it back from Chicago.
Also, I´m a graduated student of Eletrical Engineering, so I´m encouraging myself to try a mod on it, wich doesn´t apear to be so dificult by looking at the pictures that chicagoisonfire posted. So if someone could post some high resolution pictures of the areas that were modded showing the components terminals to see where it was soldered, and the values or reference of the replaced components, It would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.
Pepeu.
Good luck with your mod!!
Old 29th May 2012
Here for the gear

Yeah, just need some more info.. any pictures?
Old 1st July 2012
Here for the gear

would love a re up on the files!
Old 28th August 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydavies View Post
would love a re up on the files!
same here! I'm really interested in this mod! Please upload again!
Old 28th August 2012
Lives for gear

I have two BLA PF2626 home and studio.. Love these bad boys
Old 27th September 2012
Here for the gear

The test is no longer available. Please re-upload it if possible. I'm interrested for this unit and I want to hear the difference from BLA

Thanks a lot
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ili_vintage_gear View Post
The test is no longer available. Please re-upload it if possible. I'm interrested for this unit and I want to hear the difference from BLA

Thanks a lot
Same here! A re-upload would be awesome.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

Could someone who has opened the hood on their BLA modded Profire 2626 tell me what op amps they replace the JRC 4580's with?
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckofdreams View Post
Could someone who has opened the hood on their BLA modded Profire 2626 tell me what op amps they replace the JRC 4580's with?
Call/Email them!! [email protected]
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

As BLA is too far from our city, and as i'm pretty qualified engineer, i make my own mod for Profires' analog paths and PSUs.

Changed all caps in audio circuits for Panasonic FMs bypassed with quality polypropylene caps, changed all 4580 for 5532ad (i just like how they work), 072 to OPA2134, biased opamps outputs to class A. Filtered PSU with huge caps and coils, increased all decoupling caps.
Now Profire beats Apogee, as one might say.

Waiting for next 2626 mod job, gonna make separate phantom switches for channels plus all mentioned above. And a decent paintjob for nice creamy beige color. )
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
As BLA is too far from our city, and as i'm pretty qualified engineer, i make my own mod for Profires' analog paths and PSUs.

Changed all caps in audio circuits for Panasonic FMs bypassed with quality polypropylene caps, changed all 4580 for 5532ad (i just like how they work), 072 to OPA2134, biased opamps outputs to class A. Filtered PSU with huge caps and coils, increased all decoupling caps.

Waiting for next 2626 mod job, gonna make separate phantom switches for channels plus all mentioned above. And a decent paintjob for nice creamy beige color. )
The BLA mod makes it a better box aswell!! But I bet you saved tons$$$
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'd pay you for a PSU mod!!! How much?

Better yet how much for a PF2626 mod!?? PM me please!!!!!!

I just bought a 3rd one...!!
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
I'd pay you for a PSU mod!!! How much?

Better yet how much for a PF2626 mod!?? PM me please!!!!!!

I just bought a 3rd one...!!
Man, it is the same price as BLA really, in U.S. you have higher labour prices, but here in Russia we have higher prices for electronic components. ) And you will not win with a DHL/UPS charges. Buy if you want - i can make it )
Old 5th October 2012
Here for the gear

Can someone re-upload the samples please???
Old 24th October 2012
Here for the gear

@zvukofor, Are you on groupDIY.com (prodigy pro forum). I'm sure that some of the guys over there would be very interested in a tutorial on these mods or even a kit.

How are you doing your PSU? I've talked extensively with BLA and they modify the filtering in the box itself, but I was surprised that they don't touch that dirty Chinese power supply that ships with the unit.

PM me if you don't want to give away some of your secrets, but I'd love to chat with you about the circuitry on this thing.
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimrok View Post
@zvukofor, Are you on groupDIY.com (prodigy pro forum). I'm sure that some of the guys over there would be very interested in a tutorial on these mods or even a kit.

How are you doing your PSU? I've talked extensively with BLA and they modify the filtering in the box itself, but I was surprised that they don't touch that dirty Chinese power supply that ships with the unit.

PM me if you don't want to give away some of your secrets, but I'd love to chat with you about the circuitry on this thing.
Yup... A power supply upgrade would be FANTASTIC!!!
Old 1st December 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=chicagoisonfire;6255133]
Right now i'm monitoring with a pair of acoustic research AR-18BXis (blast from the past, but i like them better than NS-10s

great choice, my friend's studio has these instead of NS10s. similar freq response but way more pleasant on the ear. not tried mixing on them yet tho.

.... and back to the main topic, sorry. lol
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Hmmmmm
Old 1st January 2013
Gear Addict

I have three Profire2626's... would it be possible to purchase an external power supply to feed all three at once?
Old 10th January 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. View Post
I wonder if such a mod exists for the ProFire 610 model (1/2 rack version)? Also, if there is a mod that improves more than the conversion & clock & if there are other options (a HPF option would be great). The quality of the preamps is good, only good enough if I have to use my stereo mic. But for microphones, on a mono source, 3rd party preamps are always better. Plus, I much prefer a HPF at the preamp stages vs. mic, or after in software. While I don't like the preamps much, I will say, as a guitar or bass DI, they are great. They get that part right.
i wonder this too.
Old 10th January 2013 | Show parent
Quote:

how much would u do a mod on a profire 610???
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz31 View Post
how much would u do a mod on a profire 610???
He's in Russia...
Old 1st February 2013
Here for the gear

Does anyone have a spec sheet or a schematic for the BLA mod. I asked them directly just for kicks and they weren't too keen on that idea. It would be nice to know atleast which op amp chips they swapped out or what they recapped.

I know a tech down here in south texas that can definitely do this mod if he had some kind of spec sheet or schematic. At the rate he works I can say I could have the same exact mod for about 100 dollars if I just knew what exactly they did with the BLA profire.

He probably could reverse engineer it, being that I have some unmodded profires, but who is going to going to lend me a BLA profire? Yeah I really doubt it.

Well yeah if someone gets me a spec sheet of what exactly they are modding in the profire, after he mods my profire, I could do an AB test of a mix on a modded and unmodded profire, and then if it sounds good I will forward you my tech's info and maybe you could send him your profire to get modded.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaticanBeach View Post
Does anyone have a spec sheet or a schematic for the BLA mod. I asked them directly just for kicks and they weren't too keen on that idea. It would be nice to know atleast which op amp chips they swapped out or what they recapped.

I know a tech down here in south texas that can definitely do this mod if he had some kind of spec sheet or schematic. At the rate he works I can say I could have the same exact mod for about 100 dollars if I just knew what exactly they did with the BLA profire.

He probably could reverse engineer it, being that I have some unmodded profires, but who is going to going to lend me a BLA profire? Yeah I really doubt it.

Well yeah if someone gets me a spec sheet of what exactly they are modding in the profire, after he mods my profire, I could do an AB test of a mix on a modded and unmodded profire, and then if it sounds good I will forward you my tech's info and maybe you could send him your profire to get modded.
What you are suggesting is in really poor taste, if nothing else.. If your tech is so good, have him invent his own mod for the unit - or just do business with BLA and reward them for their innovation.
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
What you are suggesting is in really poor taste, if nothing else.. If your tech is so good, have him invent his own mod for the unit - or just do business with BLA and reward them for their innovation.
It isn't that he is good(though he is), but I trust him more than I trust myself when modding some of my more essential gear. Replacing caps, and op amp chips is novice tech work that anyone with soldering chops can do, and in no way is "proprietary". I buy mostly vintage gear and the first thing I do is always replace the caps being that you should replace caps every 30 years. Everything has op amp chips from consoles to guitar pedals and it is easy as swapping out.

What I am getting at is the bla mod is very overpriced. I akin this situation to building your own SCA preamp, it is just logical to do it yourself.

I paid fifty dollars each for my profires, this might explain why I'm hesitant of sending them for the BLA mod.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaticanBeach View Post
It isn't that he is good(though he is), but I trust him more than I trust myself when modding some of my more essential gear. Replacing caps, and op amp chips is novice tech work that anyone with soldering chops can do, and in no way is "proprietary". I buy mostly vintage gear and the first thing I do is always replace the caps being that you should replace caps every 30 years. Everything has op amp chips from consoles to guitar pedals and it is easy as swapping out.

What I am getting at is the bla mod is very overpriced. I akin this situation to building your own SCA preamp, it is just logical to do it yourself.

I paid fifty dollars each for my profires, this might explain why I'm hesitant of sending them for the BLA mod.
If its so over priced and it takes $50 why are they the only game in town?
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
If its so over priced and it takes $50 why are they the only game in town?
I'm not sure I follow. I purchased my used unmodded profire 2626's for around 50 dollars each on craigslist. The county I live in and the surrounding counties are some of the top ten most impoverished counties in the US, which brings down the cost of living.

I attribute this to the costs of used gear, and services being exceptionally inexpensive compared to larger metro areas.

If anyone has the schematics or spec sheet of the mod, message me thanks.
📝 Reply