The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MXL Genesis (hear it here) Condenser Microphones
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up MXL Genesis (hear it here)

Hey guys...

When I started shopping for a new studio mic to use on my vocals, the MXL Genesis caught my eye because of several reviews saying that this mic sounds "expensive" and other flattering comments, but I had trouble finding much good information from guys who had actually used it. And the only audio I could find was some idiot whacking on the mic on youtube and the MXL demos which I didn't trust at all. After a couple of months of trying to find info and coming up empty, I decided to buy the thing.

So here's some samples I recorded to help others who might be looking at this mic decide if it's what they're looking for or not.

For what it's worth, I'm fairly impressed. The mic is pretty dark sounding and definitely adds its own color (and I don't mean red and gold). I notice a slight distortion somewhere in the lo-mids which lends a certain "sexiness" to my voice and something on the edge of a harsh sibilant from time to time, but it can be tamed pretty easily by rolling off a little in the 5k range. Even without an eq plugin on the track it sounds decent to me and it is the first of my meager mic collection that I can say that about.
Below you will find three attachments. The first is the totally dry track (only a bit of compression on the input). The second will have reverb added. The third has been compressed to keep my peaks in check, I've thrown in a little reverb and I bring the guitars up after about a quarter of the track.

This is all recorded direct into an M-Audio Profire 2626 and into Pro Tools 8. I used the onboard pre and a bit of input compression via an aux track in Pro Tools. All stock plugins. Nothing fancy here but the sound. . . at least to my ears.

UPDATE: Here's a link to a simple song with a female vocal on the Genesis. http://soundcloud.com/the-uprising/baby-d

Happy New Year
Attached Files

Gearslutz Genesis Demo Dry.wav (7.93 MB, 2803 views)

Gearslutz Genesis Demo Verb.wav (7.93 MB, 1785 views)

Gearslutz Genesis Demo add guits.wav (7.77 MB, 1848 views)

Old 4th January 2011
Gear Head

It sounds like a Mullard tube, really dark, not my cup of tea on vocals, not even in the pre.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crybaby View Post
It sounds like a Mullard tube, really dark, not my cup of tea on vocals, not even in the pre.
Thanks for the reply. I guess maybe a bunch of people think the same as you and were afraid of hurting my feelings or something. I really appreciate it man.

I'm pretty excited about what I'm gonna be able to get out of this mic. Obviously I'd love to get my hands on some real high end mics, but for 500 bucks, I don't know that I could have done much better, especially not new.

thanks again dude.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Head

The thing is that a MXL 2003a, or Audio-Technica AT4047, or M-Audio Sputnik, or Kel HM-2D, or Oktava MK-319, ... would have most likely done a better job here for not more money.

The Genesis could be good, but it is more in the category of the "special effects" mics. You really need to be after that.
Old 12th January 2011
Y.E
Here for the gear

I like the sound of the Mullard tube.
heard the demos on MXL site and decided to get one.
got it 3 weeks ago and still have not decided if I keep it.
it sounds good on you but a little whistling at the top, but that Chinese quality.
More suitable for dark pre as UA610 with a healthy low.

What you like is what counts.
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Maniac

My Genesis on Female vocal

Hey guys, not that anyone's paying attention to this, but here's a song featuring my MXL Genesis on a female vocal. I'm not exactly impressed with the Genesis for this particular vocalist. I eq'd the hell out of it to get something passable. It was too piercing on the highs and I couldn't seem to work that out without loosing all of the air. At this point, I've given it two shots and been relatively unsuccessful. If given the chance, I'll re-track her vocal with another mic.

http://soundcloud.com/the-uprising/baby-d

Check out the voice on this girl.
Old 22nd January 2011
Y.E
Here for the gear

The link does not work.
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y.E View Post
The link does not work.
Sorry man,

Try this.

Baby, Do You? by The Ashes Studio on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Also, I've realized that soundcloud uses some kind of compression that hurts the sound of my mixes quite a bit, just fyi
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Cool

Didn't like it. Didn't like the track, sounds too (yodelly) on the hook. needed to use that in the prehook...short 2 BARS. rewrite the lyrics to be more metaphorical, sounds generic. Need some transitions pre and post hooks in the track as well. She'll get it up once she write more songs. Aside from the song, there's no lowmids in that mic. That's it. Good luck
Old 26th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproduca View Post
Didn't like it. Didn't like the track, sounds too (yodelly) on the hook. needed to use that in the prehook...short 2 BARS. rewrite the lyrics to be more metaphorical, sounds generic. Need some transitions pre and post hooks in the track as well. She'll get it up once she write more songs. Aside from the song, there's no lowmids in that mic. That's it. Good luck
Thanks for the feedback

The Genesis didn't really do a lot for her voice, but to be fair, I should have used a different mic for her but was too tempted to see what I could get out of the Genesis.

I'm not really sure how a critique of the song was in order here as the point was to display the Genesis. I'm only the tech who recorded the tune, but I'll keep your advice in mind on the next song I write.

In defense of the artist (because she's my sister and I will always defend her), She's written in the neighborhood of 200 songs all but this one on the piano. While this tune is admittedly simple, it's admirable that someone with three months guitar experience wrote a song at all. Most of us are still trying to pick through tabs of Stairway to Heaven at that point.

As for the Genesis, the next time I work with Crystal Burton, it's likely to stay in it's case.
Old 26th January 2011
Gear Head

I actually liked the song; but ur recordings with the genesis, especially the dry acapella encouraged me to goahead and buy the mic. I was debating between that and the sterling audio st69 for also $600. I hear they both are very much there on the high's but i have some good vsts that can tame it. Cant wait til my mic arrives! but what kind of interface did u use? Im also in search for a new interface; was looking at the presonus audiobox. but i think its only 16bit/44.1 not sure tho. any recommendations?
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Cool

WOW, 2 DO NOTHING Mics on your wasteomoney list, instead of a AT4047SV? You'll be selling that puppy faster than me selling a MXL Genesis...oh thats what you're buying......WOW.
Old 27th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by he_isthatguy313 View Post
I actually liked the song; but ur recordings with the genesis, especially the dry acapella encouraged me to goahead and buy the mic. I was debating between that and the sterling audio st69 for also $600. I hear they both are very much there on the high's but i have some good vsts that can tame it. Cant wait til my mic arrives! but what kind of interface did u use? Im also in search for a new interface; was looking at the presonus audiobox. but i think its only 16bit/44.1 not sure tho. any recommendations?
I am using an M-Audio Profire 2626. I switched to it from the M-Box 2. It's a world of difference. I needed the inputs, but the quality is what is impressive. The onboard pres sound decent as you heard with the Genesis.

If you're just trying to get an idea down to finish writing or whatever, that prosonus interface will do it. If you're wanting to have an end product that you can confidently show to someone outside family and friends, I'd suggest holding out for something capable of 24big/96kHz or better.

I know this isn't really in the same price range, but check this thing out. It's just a smaller version of the 2626 from what I understand. It's been around for quite a while now and you might be able to find one on ebay or something where someone upgraded for more inputs. Personally, I'd buy something used before I dropped down in bit depth and sample rate.

GuitarCenter

Don't worry about the naysayers, if you have a little bit of skill, you'll be able to make your Genesis work for you, and if you decide that it sucks, pack it up and sell it on ebay and get something else.

I have been very pleased, and although it won't be the right mic for every vocalist or even every instrument, for my voice, the Genesis is great, and that's what I really bought it for anyway.

The whole reason behind this thread was to try to help people make an educated decision on this mic and yours is the first feedback that reflected that purpose achieved.

Good luck and thanks for the post.
Old 27th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
WOW, 2 DO NOTHING Mics on your wasteomoney list, instead of a AT4047SV? You'll be selling that puppy faster than me selling a MXL Genesis...oh thats what you're buying......WOW.
Do you have experience with a Genesis?
If so please tell us about it. Good or bad.

I recently bought one and there simply wasn't enough unbiased info about this mic on the web for me to make an educated decision. Since my Guitar Center didn't have one that I could try and I didn't know someone who had one, I just took a leap and bought it.

I admit that I have limited experience and have never been in a situation where I could carefully choose a mic from a large selection based on the application, but to my ears, I'm getting some great results with this mic on my voice (if you haven't already, check out the files on the original post).

I know that you didn't like my sister's song or my mix and that's fine. It's not really my kind of music either. You don't have to like my songs or or my mixes. If you'd like, you are welcome to start a thread discussing how terrible an engineer I am. I'll even post once in a while to show my ignorance. But the point of this thread is to provide some information on the Genesis from someone other than MXL or a reseller so that potential buyers can make a decision based on unbiased information. It's not about critiquing songs, or trashing mics or the people who buy them.

You are currently derailing and crapping up an otherwise useful thread.

I invite your experienced criticism of the Genesis so that this thread can achieve its purpose. It would be great if you could upload some sample files of microphones that you prefer in the $400-$600 range so that the guys on here could compare. In fact, any constructive remarks which pertain to the topic at hand would be not only welcomed, but appreciated.

If that's not something you can get on board with, perhaps you'd be more comfortable in one of our "Work in Progress/Advice Requested" threads which can be accessed via the link below.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-...case-mix-offs/

Thanks

Last edited by bpsrepair; 27th January 2011 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: to be more friendly than I'd originally planned
Old 27th January 2011
Gear Head

No problem, I completely understand and like I said, this thread helped me out alot. And actually, less inputs isnt a negative point for me. I forgot to mention that I will probably only be needing one xlr and one midi. just for the genensis and midi for my casio keyboard. So im looking for something that can even be pretty compact I guess, but just delivers where I need it; I rather not pay extra for features I wont even use. even still tho, its all about performance.

BUT it sucks that the genesis pretty much broke my pockets for rite now, lol so have u heard of anything with a clean, full sound for maybe $200-300thats worth co signing? and usb?
Old 28th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Lightbulb

Quote:
No problem, I completely understand and like I said, this thread helped me out alot. And actually, less inputs isnt a negative point for me. I forgot to mention that I will probably only be needing one xlr and one midi. just for the genensis and midi for my casio keyboard. So im looking for something that can even be pretty compact I guess, but just delivers where I need it; I rather not pay extra for features I wont even use. even still tho, its all about performance.

BUT it sucks that the genesis pretty much broke my pockets for rite now, lol so have u heard of anything with a clean, full sound for maybe $200-300thats worth co signing? and usb?
I have pretty limited experience with interfaces...all I've used much are the mbox2, which I wouldn't recommend if you want quality, and my Profire 2626. BUT

you can look up audio interfaces at Guitars, Musical Instruments, and Musical Equipment from Guitar Center and find several in your price range. There are user reviews on there which might be helpful in picking. I noticed an Alesis that had several great reviews. I'd also check the Lo-End forum on this site and see what people on there are saying about the interface you're looking at.

I don't know if you can get someone to co-sign for it, but there's a Profire 610 at the link below for 279. It is factory refurbished, so it should be in good working condition. If you're worried about buying refurbished gear, there are a couple of new ones for 350 or so. That's probably a small enough difference that you could wait for a paycheck and afford it.

M AUDIO PROFIRE 610 PROFIRE610 BSTOCK NYC PROAUDIOSTAR - eBay (item 290521761462 end time Feb-09-11 14:16:59 PST)

The 610 has the inputs you're looking for and not much more without additional equipment. Having heard the 610's big brother, the 2626, which has the same pres, I think you'd be doing yourself a favor to wait a couple of weeks and save a little more $$. It's the only one that I'm really qualified to recommend because I'm using an interface which is almost exactly the same thing, just bigger.

My only other thought is that no matter what you choose, if it gets you recording, then it's better than nothing. The first recording set up I ever used was a 4-track Boss digital all in one box. I didn't have monitors, I didn't know I needed them. I used the rca outs on the back of the thing and ran it to my $100 stereo. I thought I was a recording genius. And even though my recordings were terrible and my mixes were worse, I got my songs recorded and it was incredible to finally hear my ideas come to life. If I lost my equipment tomorrow and had no other choice, I'd dig that Boss back out of the closet and start recording because it's what I do. The point is, don't let anyone including me convince you that you have to have the top of the line anything to record. What you do is educate yourself, then pick the best thing you can find in your price range and go to work. If you bought a full Pro Tools HD rig and a control surface to go with it and a Neumann U87 and a Neve pre, in a couple of months, you'd realize that you wanted something else to go with your awesome new gear. It never ends. The idea is to do the best you can with what you have. The worst recording in the world beats the hell out of a head full of ideas and a blank CD.
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

Genesis is a great mic. I get nice vox out of it going through an Aurora Audio and DBX160x.

Was worth the $500 I paid for it.
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
Genesis is a great mic. I get nice vox out of it going through an Aurora Audio and DBX160x.

Was worth the $500 I paid for it.
GREAT? Like a great football, basketball and baseball player who are good? People are using the GREAT term to loosely, unless there's another HOT word taking over.......like SPECTACULAR>...STELLAR....Stupendous? No that's not gonna be used, and therefore the MXL is NOT a GREAT Mic. A MINT U67 is a GGGGGGREAT mic a PAIR? Check out the link.

Truthful Comparisons and Opinions
Old 28th January 2011
Gear Head

great advice, man. very true. the profire does look good. Im looking at that in the focusrite and saffire. both look great. but one last question, do the profire have usb? Im not sure if see one
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
GREAT? Like a great football, basketball and baseball player who are good? People are using the GREAT term to loosely, unless there's another HOT word taking over.......like SPECTACULAR>...STELLAR....Stupendous? No that's not gonna be used, and therefore the MXL is NOT a GREAT Mic. A MINT U67 is a GGGGGGREAT mic a PAIR? Check out the link.

Truthful Comparisons and Opinions
No like a sm57 is a great mic
No like a mk319 is a great mic
No like a at4050 is a great mic
No like a sm7b is a great mic
No like a akg 414 is a great mic
No like a u87 is a great mic
No like a senn 421 is a great mic
No like a akg d112 is a great mic
No like a blue bottle is a great mic

All great mics that I have and use very often.

I can name about 30 more that I have that are not great and are just ok.

I can also name about 15 that is just blah but I can still get a decent sound out of them.

YMMV but to me the Genesis is a great mic that I get great results from for $500.
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
great advice, man. very true. the profire does look good. Im looking at that in the focusrite and saffire. both look great. but one last question, do the profire have usb? Im not sure if see one
No...that's where the name comes from. It's a firewire interface. You can buy a firewire card for a desktop pc online for 15 bucks or so. Make sure you have an open PCI slot to install it.
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
...the Genesis is a great mic that I get great results from for $500.
You said it, RonT.

It's just ridiculous to write off a mic because of the name on the case.

At one point in history, nobody knew the name Neumann. Now I think everyone here knows that we're not comparing the Genesis to a U87. All we're saying is that we may not have the bucks for a U87 right now and we get results we can be proud of out of the Genesis.

I doubt if anyone could listen to a new song and tell me, based on nothing but sound, what mic was used for the main vocal. What they can tell me is if the mic is working for the vocal or not.

All I'm trying to say is that I have used the Genesis and it's working for my vocals. In my case, it's doing more for my vocals than any other mic I've ever used.

This mic is not going to work for every vocalist. No mic is ideal for every vocalist.

I'm just another broke musician/bedroom producer. I don't have the funds to give a damn if the name on the case of my mic is approved by theproduca or anyone else. I need a mic that works for my voice and allows me to create recordings that sound like I want to sound. The Genesis does that for me better than any of the other mics I have at this point.
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

I just put a old Sylvania 12AU7 in my Genesis this week and the difference is substantial. Less noise, cleaner hi-mids, better detail in the highs. I know it comes with a Mullard 12AT7, but you shouldn't knock it until you've tried some other tubes in it. Much improved.
Old 18th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeng View Post
I just put a old Sylvania 12AU7 in my Genesis this week and the difference is substantial. Less noise, cleaner hi-mids, better detail in the highs. I know it comes with a Mullard 12AT7, but you shouldn't knock it until you've tried some other tubes in it. Much improved.
Very cool. Thanks.
Old 19th February 2011
Y.E
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeng View Post
Glad you found a way to improve.
There is a chance to hear the new combination?

How do you take out the tube.
I tried to pull out and it does not come out,
Need to do something with the white plastic?
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe during the week I can run some clips.

To take out the tube, unscrew the two screws on either side of the tube. Then hold onto the board that the tube socket is built upon and gently (but firmly) pull. Reuse the ring on the new tube.

Of course, before donig this, you have already unplugged the mic from it's power supply.

Talk to BOWIE on this site - he's the tube guru and the guy I got the Sylvania from. Great prices and service and knows his stuff!
Old 19th February 2011
Y.E
Here for the gear

Thanks changeng,
Hope to hear the clips.
Old 21st February 2011
I listened the clip of the dry singing in the OP. I have to say, it does sound dark, but dark and compressed like somethings wrong. I believe it's probably proximity effect. I just think the singer might be standing too close to the mic on this one. I don't see how any $600 mic can sound like that. I mean I have an NTK which is only $500 and sounds pretty good dry.
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

As I've said, too much has been made of that Mullard it comes with - if you don't like the sound, change the tube and hear a big difference.
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

Genesis with a tube change

Hey Y.E. - here are the clips I promised - hold your ears...

MXL Genesis - tube change - CLIPS !!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search