The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic Preamp Comparison Audio Interfaces
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Cool Mic Preamp Comparison

I just entered the Lunch Box Crew and purchased both a Purple Biz MK and the box here from fellow Slutz. Since my ears aren't quite tuned yet, I wanted to know what the Slutz hear. Here's myself playing an acoustic pass with the micpres. Chain is simple......Guitar to pre, to RME ADI96 to DA7 D/A to Apogee PSX-100 A/D to Masterlink. Levels monitored at the input of Masterlink for accuracy. 4 FILES. Pres are: ISA-220, Joe Meek VC-1, Purple Biz, and Golden Age 73 (stock), and of course not in that order. Let me know what you think. Each pass is a fresh play. Thanks.
Attached Files

01 Guitar 1.mp3 (888.6 KB, 820 views)

02 Guitar 2.mp3 (905.8 KB, 810 views)

03 Guitar 3.mp3 (979.2 KB, 712 views)

04 Guitar 4.mp3 (980.4 KB, 623 views)

Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproduca View Post
I just entered the Lunch Box Crew and purchased both a Purple Biz MK and the box here from fellow Slutz. Since my ears aren't quite tuned yet, I wanted to know what the Slutz hear. Here's myself playing an acoustic pass with the micpres. Chain is simple......Guitar to pre, to RME ADI96 to DA7 D/A to Apogee PSX-100 A/D to Masterlink. Levels monitored at the input of Masterlink for accuracy. 4 FILES. Pres are: ISA-220, Joe Meek VC-1, Purple Biz, and Golden Age 73 (stock), and of course not in that order. Let me know what you think. Each pass is a fresh play. Thanks.
Guitar??
Strings?
Mic?
cables?

can you PM the answere?
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

You must have done something wrong. They all sound awful. Most important thing to me in a audio chain is always the FIRST (Mic) and the LAST (Speakers) device. Mic-Preamps are often overrated, I think.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Cool

Thanks for the reply. What do you think I did wrong? I'm interested and by no means offended, I'm here to learn. I'm not the best player on acoustic, pretty good on electric and bass. This was just a test to see how the PurPle stacked up with the pres I had already. Thanks for you input. Remember, guitar DI into the PRE's. heh
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. What do you think I did wrong? I'm interested and by no means offended, I'm here to learn. I'm not the best player on acoustic, pretty good on electric and bass. This was just a test to see how the PurPle stacked up with the pres I had already. Thanks for you input. Remember, guitar DI into the PRE's. heh
Ok let's try. What mic did you use and how did you place it? Watch that dude on youtube to see how to place your mic. Just click on the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ZMChcnKck

Edit: Oh sorry, I overlooked that DI thing. Use a good mic, it will sound much better.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Cool

No Mic, just straight into all of the DI of the pres. and using the chain to the Masterlink. Pick the the horrible sounding file and get back to me. LOL
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Pick the horrible sounding file and get back to me. LOL
heh Yeah, that only confirms my first post. The differences are so small that I guess they rather result from different passes. But somehow I like no. 1 and 2. No. 1 sounds deeper or has more low end but sounds quite nice.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

I hear a lot of distortion on every cut. Something is not right.

If you're using an active acoustic guitar pickup - check the battery. The distortion doesn't appear to be from driving the pre too much. You can hear in on the tail of pretty much every one.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Cool

Thanks Chris, Will do that. Havent used it in a while. Shoulda just did a mic comp.heh
Old 8th January 2011
Here for the gear

I think I liked pre # 3 the most; seems smoother and more musical than the rest to my ears. Of course I am not used to hearing a DI acoustic.
Old 8th February 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Chain is simple......Guitar to pre, to RME ADI96 to DA7 D/A to Apogee PSX-100 A/D to Masterlink.
Instead of going through all of those AD/DA/AD/DA/AD stages, just record all of the mic preamp examples into your PSX-100, digitally into your computer.

(if using spdif or AES, use the proper cables, not RCA or mic cables... you don't know how many pro studios I've seen using the wrong cables on paying sessions...).
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMIXIMAL View Post
Instead of going through all of those AD/DA/AD/DA/AD stages, just record all of the mic preamp examples into your PSX-100, digitally into your computer.

(if using spdif or AES, use the proper cables, not RCA or mic cables... you don't know how many pro studios I've seen using the wrong cables on paying sessions...).
hearz you on that. Actually an AD/DA stage isn't that out of the ordinary. BUT, you're correct, the more simple the chain, the better. I wanted to try something different though. NORMALLY the chain is, Pre-Comp-AD-DAW, which is NOW......ShadowMONO, ElysiaX, RME(Apogee is on it's way to the shop), MR816X(SPDIF)-DAW.

I'm gonna start using the MR816x A/D and see what's up when I get back down there. BTW, as I stated, it was just to see if someone could tell the pres, regardless of the chain and my sloppy playing, AND I didn't mic up the AX, direct in through the DI's, Direct out from the AX. Thanksheh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search