The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage King - Summing Mixer VS ITB Processed Shootout! Saturation Plugins
View Poll Results: Which example is OTB?
1a is OTB
49 Votes - 39.52%
1b is OTB
75 Votes - 60.48%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Cool Vintage King - Summing Mixer VS ITB Processed Shootout!

I took the driven Dangerous 2-bus examples and as well as the ITB examples from the Vintage King shootout. Obviously I could not 'sum' the separate tracks because they are not provided (would be even more interested if they were), but I processed the ITB examples and then level matched them with the driven examples better than what's originally presented on the Vintage King website.

Please vote and I'll reveal the answers in a month after the poll ends. If there are at least 80 votes for either A or B, I'll reveal the answers before then!

If you have any questions feel free to post and I'll reply as long as it doesn't involve giving the answers away early.

Here's the first one, Alt Country Rock, which is the OTB?

EDIT: OK, poll is over, the answer is B for all examples. Thank you for participating.
Attached Files

1a.mp3 (1.15 MB, 3097 views)

1b.mp3 (1.15 MB, 2979 views)

Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Second one, Jazz, same poll options apply.
Attached Files

2a.mp3 (1.08 MB, 2235 views)

2b.mp3 (1.08 MB, 2118 views)

Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Third one, Metal, same poll options apply.
Attached Files

3a.mp3 (1.29 MB, 2143 views)

3b.mp3 (1.33 MB, 2082 views)

Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Last edited by mljung; 25th December 2010 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: It's a poll, I removed my comment
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Is the level matched between those ? B sounds a bit louder, that would affect the results in a significative way. BTW a month seems long, chances are the thread will be buried until then.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capa****or View Post
Is the level matched between those ? B sounds a bit louder, that would affect the results in a significative way.
They are not level matched perfectly, but as mentioned, a lot better than the original examples on the Vintage King website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capa****or View Post
BTW a month seems long, chances are the thread will be buried until then.
I'm giving it a month so that there are a decent number of votes. If there are at least 80 for either A or B before then, I'll reveal the answers early. I'll make sure the thread doesn't get buried. So far there have been a lot more views and listens than votes and that's already telling me something. heh
Old 30th December 2010
can you give some details of how you processed the ITB track? Its just 1 track that is processed against the multiple stems OTB?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry, I'm not giving any hints. Yes, it's ITB processed 2-track VS the OTB individually summed tracks. I know it's not a true comparison, and I wish I could do the VS with individual tracks, but I still think this will be fun regardless.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

1b OTB
2a OTB
3a OTB

ah well all good fun
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genieg View Post
1b OTB
2a OTB
3a OTB

ah well all good fun
I did not mix up the A & B examples. It's either all A or all B. heh

Happy new year!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
I did not mix up the A & B examples. heh

ahh heh

then I guess its the majority

and you have a good one!
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm guessing B is analog summing since it sounds like the micro dynamics are more even + has a bit more midrange character. A sounds clearer to me so ITB. Also... A sounds cheap... and thats not what I associate with Vintage King. It seems pretty clear to me, but I might be eating my words... in a month... when i won't care... lol release em earlier

The differences are pretty clear between one form of processing and another, even though the volumes not very well matched. Its just a matter of which is which... lol. I'm surprised how even the votes are!
Old 1st January 2011
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by spice house View Post
I'm guessing B is analog summing since it sounds like the micro dynamics are more even + has a bit more midrange character. A sounds clearer to me so ITB. Also... A sounds cheap... and thats not what I associate with Vintage King. It seems pretty clear to me, but I might be eating my words... in a month... when i won't care... lol release em earlier

The differences are pretty clear between one form of processing and another, even though the volumes not very well matched. Its just a matter of which is which... lol. I'm surprised how even the votes are!

What...you mean the answer wasn't obvious. You weren't immediately blown away with the correct answer?

YouTube - Dangerous 2-Bus

It seems like for every poll that goes up the results are very close.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I might be eating my words... in a month... when i won't care... lol release em earlier
Don't worry, only 22 more days to go! heh
Quote:
the volumes not very well matched
Well I have to disagree here. Yes, I could have matched them better, but the difference is not bad, and a lot better than the original examples on the VK website.
Quote:
I'm surprised how even the votes are!
It's funny how so little people are voting vs views. Why do you think I gave it a month now? heh
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

I like this shootout. The metal example makes it sooo obvious that B is the OTB mix. A is harsh and unlistenable. The transient softening is beautiful on B.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Mytek is used for ITB mix? VK uses Mytek. In my experience, ADA converters have much more impact than ITB vs OTB. Those mixes sound too different to me.

BTW, Instrument balance is a bit different between 2 mixes. It not your fault, though...
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Well, first of all, I hope everyone votes before they read the replies on the thread.

That being said....

All the A's are definitely OTB. No question. They blend together and are in harmony with each other, whereas the B's fight each other. I think the biggest difference was in the first track. 1a to me sounded powerful and moving while 1b sounded underwhelming. The next two tracks repeated these findings. It would be nice if the B's were OTB....that would mean 1 less piece of gear I have to buy down the road!
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranny-Cap-Tube View Post
I like this shootout. The metal example makes it sooo obvious that B is the OTB mix. A is harsh and unlistenable. The transient softening is beautiful on B.
Really, the reason I think A is OTB is that it sounds more cohesive or "glued". If it isn't OTB is not for me...

Other than that I find both metal examples pretty "unlistenable" and can't hear any "beautiful" softening anywhere, but it's first of all the music that's

::
Mads
Old 3rd January 2011

B sounds better by miles, the As sounded distorted and harsh. Whether its ITB or OTB - dont mind. But B just sounds "nice". Be even nicer if it was ITB - I'm guessing its not !!

Lovers of A - I'll not be hiring ya !! hhahahheh
Old 3rd January 2011
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranny-Cap-Tube View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthepisces View Post
Well, first of all, I hope everyone votes before they read the replies on the thread.

That being said....

All the A's are definitely OTB. No question. They blend together and are in harmony with each other, whereas the B's fight each other. I think the biggest difference was in the first track. 1a to me sounded powerful and moving while 1b sounded underwhelming. The next two tracks repeated these findings. It would be nice if the B's were OTB....that would mean 1 less piece of gear I have to buy down the road!

Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

heh
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

I'd say B is OTB but but A could be as well with an inferior console but I'll pick B. To the casual listener the difference between the two would be irrelevant imo.

Just so I'm clear, the OTB mixed you summed out to the Dangerous but did all the processing ITB? AKA no hardware
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
B sounds better by miles, the As sounded distorted and harsh. Whether its ITB or OTB - dont mind. But B just sounds "nice". Be even nicer if it was ITB - I'm guessing its not !!

Lovers of A - I'll not be hiring ya !! hhahahheh
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
To the casual listener the difference between the two would be irrelevant imo.
It's true, and apparently not just to casual listeners. There are way more views and listens than votes. Looks like my estimate for a month vs 80 votes is almost right on the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Just so I'm clear, the OTB mixed you summed out to the Dangerous but did all the processing ITB? AKA no hardware
The answer to this question has already been said in the first post. I can't really elaborate on it until after I reveal the answers to the poll, and at this time you'll understand why. heh

Anyway, I would also like to do another poll with a custom project. I don't have any projects that I'm able to post with, but if someone has a project which is ok to share as a sample, please PM me.
Old 5th January 2011
Here for the gear

B is w/ the Dangerous. I hear more weight and separation in the recordings. But I have never heard the unit before so I am just throwing it out there.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

B is OTB - There I said it.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

B=OTB
A=ITB

"A" was crisper, edgey, glassy
"B" had the edge smoothed off, warmer

Some sound people will like the crispy sound
Some sound people will like the smoother sound
All depends on what certain people prefer
Most consumer listeners can't hear a difference using earbuds all the time
And the majority don't really care!
So what's the point?
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

All this B is better talk is throwing the polls! it used be almost dead even
Old 5th January 2011

Quote:
All this B is better talk is throwing the polls! it used be almost dead even
..... from the mutton deaf rush to the finish crowd.... hoho!
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

ide say 1b.
both sound nice tho! Either way, this makes me feel good caus ITB sounds darn sweet heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search