The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Studer A800 Sound Tests (solo cello)
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

UAD Studer A800 Sound Tests (solo cello)

I just got a UAD-2 card because I wanted this plug. Check it out - here are five versions of the same take:

*** SPOILER ALERT #1 ***

The following link has the list of which take is what in the description. If you don't want to read that yet, then do not read the description - instead just download the track.

*** SPOILER ALERT #2 ***

If you play the file using SoundCloud's player, it will tell you what is what - for convenience, I loaded up the track with popups. Again: if you don't want to read that, close your eyes or just download the track

Here is the link to download the WAV file (163MB):

http://soundcloud.com/scott-whigham/...ests/download/

Here's the link the SoundCloud player:

Scott Whigham - UAD Studer A800 Sound Tests on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I enabled download which is a WAV file for comparison.

This is the plug: Studer A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder | Analog and Digital Audio Products and Plug-Ins | Universal Audio

There's a touch of convolution reverb on it and I did a high pass at 50hz. This is a mono recording with no other changes.

And I tried my best for level matching but it's possible that I goofed somewhere. Hope not!
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
I'm not listening over monitors...so take this with a grain of whatever. I demo'd the Studer (ran out of days unfortunately), but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I thought the 30ips input 0 sounded the best, and I generally found myself liking the 30ips for most everything. It's subtle, but it's better. I'm not sure if I heard an increase in soundstage like some are claiming, but it definitely is an excellent tone-shaping tool...I'm just not convinced I want to spend $350 for it...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well, I don't know how much difference it makes but, on my studio monitors, I prefer the 30ips too. I'm not sure about the input gain differences - so minor to my ears.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
I guess we're not hearing the cumulative effect over many tracks, but to me this isn't the game changer that VCC was...It does make things sound better though...
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Actually I've not heard that - you're talking about this, right?

The Virtual Console Collection - Steven Slate Digital
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear
yes - it's amazing...
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Agree. VCC from Slate Digital was well worth it.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I have VCC and A800. They both are game changer, imo.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Wow that cellist is awesome! FWIW I think the unprocessed clip stands fine on its own. I didn't really find anything too special in the processed clips, to be honest - but I also found the soundcloud interface a little clunky for good bypass/engaged flipping - maybe I'll load the .wav and check it out.

I dunno I was blown away by the playing, maybe that's why I didn't pay attention to the plugin used (wink wink).
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
Wow that cellist is awesome! FWIW I think the unprocessed clip stands fine on its own. I didn't really find anything too special in the processed clips, to be honest - but I also found the soundcloud interface a little clunky for good bypass/engaged flipping - maybe I'll load the .wav and check it out.

I dunno I was blown away by the playing, maybe that's why I didn't pay attention to the plugin used (wink wink).
I will tell him that - he will smile Thank you for taking the time to say something like that.

Yes, the SoundCloud player is not where you really hear the difference to me. To make it streamable I guess they have to cut out lots of those rich lows and that's where the Studer plug really adds some meat!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham View Post
Actually I've not heard that - you're talking about this, right?

The Virtual Console Collection - Steven Slate Digital
What's going on with VCC - anyone know? When I look at the "Demo" tab, it says, "VCC demo is temporarily unavailable due to maintenance. Please check back later." The "Purchase" tab says, "Coming soon"
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I tried it when I was mastering a blues track and I believe I had the IPS at 15, the cal at +9 (i think it's 9 anyways), and I was using the 900 tape. Now there's a fantastic combination.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post

Exact same impression here....
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Head

"download limit exceeded"... so no dice for me. Had to listen on their streaming (not ideal) but differences were still audible. Lovely playing, great to hear the plug-in doing things!

I just got a Folcrom and am using my Forssell SMP-2 to sum with my Bricasti M-7s (stunning!)... I have a UAD card and will be demoing the Studer plug to see if it is needed for my set-up.

I like what I was hearing here (30ips, +0), though...;-)

Thank you for posting this,

~Shea
Old 19th January 2011
Gear Head

Listened via internet. Can't download WAV. On ADAM A7's can't hear big difference. You recorded this clip with very decent mic and pre, so original (clear) seems to me the best (maybe bit too much room in record, but that isn't point). "Taped" ones seems smeared a bit. But i don't know, how it behave in mix with other instruments and sounds w/ and w/out "tape".

If it is solo, i will leave this as is.

Thank You for samples.

P.S. If i could download sample, i will compare A-800'ed with this tiny free one.
Old 29th January 2011
Scott,

You are an amazing musician.

Just a note on AB tests. The brain's aural memory is about 5-8 seconds long. Even the pause between sections makes it hard to remember the difference between A800 effects.

If you allowed us to download we could cut it more closely.

Nice slaps.
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Well, thank you but I can't take the credit - it's my friend, Ross Gasworth! I'm just the lowly "recording engineer" :D

And I would love to enable downloads but it would cost me $80 :( I'm waiting for them to put out some kind of coupon!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search