The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Grace 101? & what do you think of my mix? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

Grace 101? & what do you think of my mix?

Im opening a studio, I read good reviews on the grace 101, but was wondering if anyone had a vocal they have used the grace 101 on I could hear?

I really want a pre-amp thats going to give that thick rockstar sound. My mixes are pretty good which what I have now, which is just my 002 and the studiochannel tube pre I use which was like 300 bux or something.

Here is a song I wrote/recorded/produced/performed all instruments and mixed.

LimeLinx - Preview - 01 Track 1.mp3

Tell me what you think.

I really want a pre thats going to give a super fat rockstar warm sound. My budget is about 700$ max right now.

ps: im using a baby bottle as my condenser, any other reccomendations?
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

nice track!

Grace 101 is a great choice for super clean, but when I hear "thick rockstar sound" I think transformers and the 101 is transformerless. The single channel Great River ME-1NV (or whatever it's called) would be a great choice but it runs closer to a grand, I believe. Worth saving a bit more for, though.

Can't think of any single channel stuff in your budget, maybe just stick with what you got - I like the tube saturation in your voice. Or pick up the 101 for a clean choice in contrast to the tube that you already have.
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
nice track!

Grace 101 is a great choice for super clean, but when I hear "thick rockstar sound" I think transformers and the 101 is transformerless. The single channel Great River ME-1NV (or whatever it's called) would be a great choice but it runs closer to a grand, I believe. Worth saving a bit more for, though.

Can't think of any single channel stuff in your budget, maybe just stick with what you got - I like the tube saturation in your voice. Or pick up the 101 for a clean choice in contrast to the tube that you already have.
What about the API single channel strip ? Isnt it like 700 or so?

ps: What do you mean about transformers?

PSS: I want my mixes like this..... the guitars/vocals sound so good.. its got that thick rockstar sound (vocally)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph2paQZSDKk <-- listen
or this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILS6ULfhIhI <-- listen

The second one's vocals sound incredible...
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Honest Opinion

Hey Coleibe.....

The content of the song is solid. Written well....has direction. Your voice is good- even, pitch, feeling etc. Back ground voxs are too much at times and pitchy. Hook is good...and memorable. Production wise it lacks....
Your vocals need to be the emphasis...at times the drums are too busy and take away from your vocals. Less is more....(something it took me years to learn.) You need to learn the gear you have, learn how to bring the best that you can out of it...then one day when you can get to the "next level" of gear you will be so surprised at how much you have learned.

The song is solid, well delivered....your vocals are solid, with a good voice. The mix is not! I know so many times people on here say "great job" etc. when actually it stinks. Your stuff has promise....some of the better I have heard on here. Please just believe I am trying to critique honestly. If this isn't what you are asking for, then just delete me. This is one persons opinion....I know I want others to tell me what they think...so I will get better. HAVING A YES MAN GETS YOU NO WHERE!!!
Hope this helps....
Keep writing this kind of stuff....just get to know your gear better. Draw the best sound you can from it...don't accept 2nd best in any area of your work. There are a lot of people out there...be better than they are at EVERYTHING! You will love yourself for it!
Cordially,
Wiggles

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search