The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
67' fender princeton>FLEA47,Bluebottle,FLEA12,royer,kiwi
Old 9th June 2010
Gear Nut

67' fender princeton>FLEA47,Bluebottle,FLEA12,royer,kiwi

Hello once again fellow slutz, today I have a special treat for those of you who like vintage amps and microphones. I did a shootout comparing my FLEA 47, Blue bottle, FLEA 12, Royer r-121, and blue kiwi. All mics were placed VERY close to eachother.

I wanted to do a shootout on electric guitar, because I feel the lack of amp focused shootouts on here somewhat frustrating. I tried out 3 different guitars, with different amp settings. I also wanted to do this so that those of you who want to know what a princeton sounds like, and what different guitars sound like, are able to do so here.

I'm using one of my own songs for this test, well the segment of one. Should you wish to hear the song in full, go here:
YouTube - tommorow could be (aras and the volodkas)

The first setting is a G&L legacy (strat style) guitar, with the amp set to 0 treble, 10 bass, and volume on 3, with a little reverb. This is a blind test, I did not scrambe the mic order in this test as I did with the other test, I will drop some hints in the next few posts. See if you can tell what mic is what mic.

I will give one hint here: the Blue bottle is equipped with the B7 cap in this test, and of course, the r-121 is bi-directional.
Attached Thumbnails
67' fender princeton>FLEA47,Bluebottle,FLEA12,royer,kiwi-picture-090.jpg  
Attached Files

mic1-1.wav (5.06 MB, 2771 views)

mic2-1.wav (5.06 MB, 2622 views)

mic3-1.wav (5.06 MB, 2557 views)

mic4-1.wav (5.06 MB, 2537 views)

mic5-1.wav (5.06 MB, 2683 views)

Old 9th June 2010
Gear Nut

Test:#2.

This test is with the mics in the same position, the only difference being that I switched the b7 to the b6 cap. I wanted to make mention, that while I am a fan of the blue mics, for those of you who are curious, the b7 DOES NOT sound like the u47, there are several key differences. In any case, they both sound good. I do not wish to speak ill of Blue, that is just my experience. I will post some more tests in the coming months should you be curious about this subject in particular.

Anyway, in this test, I switched guitars to a heritage hollowbody, an es335 copy (if you want to call it that ). I changed the amp setting by adjusting the treble up to 3.5, and I turned the volume down to 2.5, because this guitar has very hot pickups.

I also forgot to mention, I did not use any preamps or compressors in this test, what you are hearing is the mics plugged straight into my digi003+ rack. I wanted to give you guys a very straight sound. Also a brief apology, I let the Blue bottle clip in this take, I didn't realize until after the test was over.

Sorry if my guitar playing isn't all that great, I'm a little rusty :/
Attached Thumbnails
67' fender princeton>FLEA47,Bluebottle,FLEA12,royer,kiwi-picture-092.jpg  
Attached Files

mic1-2.wav (5.06 MB, 980 views)

mic2-2.wav (5.06 MB, 908 views)

mic3-2.wav (5.06 MB, 873 views)

mic4-2.wav (5.06 MB, 793 views)

mic5-2.wav (5.06 MB, 884 views)

Old 9th June 2010
Gear Nut

Test #3.

In my final test, I decided to try out the mics with a bit of ambience, I left them in the same position, but moved the amp back about 5 or so feet (as pictured below).

For this test, I used my favorite guitar, the fender telecaster. I changed the settings on the amplifier once again, turning the treble down to 2, and the volume up to 3.8 since the amp is further away, the mics can handle the extra volume.
I changed the bottle's b6 cap to a b4, an excellent ambient capsule, which is bi-directional. I switched the polarity of the kiwi to bi-directional, as with the c12. The 47, as many of you know, doesn't have bi, so I switched to omni directional. And again, the royer r-121 is still bi as that is how it always is.

For those of you with sharp eyes, you may have detected the clutter in the living room, and the bottle appears to be backwards, this is not so. The bottle's body is backwards, that is how it came when I bought it from someone on ebay, I never adjusted it back... just fyi... to avoid an unwanted debate One mic is also noticeably more present than the other mics, that is not a mistake, that is truly how it sounds!

You will hear the drastic differences in this test, I know my living room wasn't made for ambient recording, but you can hear the differences very clearly here. From these tests I'd say there are mics I prefer over one-another, but in the right applications, each mic has it's own purpose for which it might be better suited.
Good luck with the guessing, I will post the answers early next week!
Attached Thumbnails
67' fender princeton>FLEA47,Bluebottle,FLEA12,royer,kiwi-picture-098.jpg  
Attached Files

mic1-3.wav (5.06 MB, 921 views)

mic2-3.wav (5.06 MB, 877 views)

mic3-3.wav (5.06 MB, 847 views)

mic4-3.wav (5.06 MB, 777 views)

mic5-3.wav (5.06 MB, 861 views)

Old 9th June 2010
Gear Maniac

I like mic5 best in first test

www.telecinesound.com
Old 9th June 2010
Gear Maniac

I like mic5 in the second test too

www.telecinesound.com
Old 9th June 2010
Gear Maniac

I like mic2 in the 3rd test
Old 14th June 2010
Gear Nut

thanks, I might wait until Sunday to post the answers because I'm on a trip with no net access. plus I'd like more slut to chime in. I will say that mic five is different from the others, that's a hint for ya
Old 16th June 2010
Gear Maniac

Sorry Aras, it seems I'm the only one playing this game..

www.telecinesound.com
Old 16th June 2010
Gear Head

I was back and forth between 4 and 5 as my favorites.
Old 21st June 2010
Gear Addict

I like # 5 from test #1 more balance and weight, enough presence.
I may change my mind if I listen again....
Old 21st June 2010
Gear Nut

Hey all, so here are the answers:

mic 1- Blue bottle (B7,B6,B4)
mic 2- FLEA 12
mic 3- FLEA 47
mic 4- Blue Kiwi
mic 5- royer r-121

So it seems people prefer the royer for the close mic. I have used it on a lot of my sessions, especially when I'm going for a more vintage sounding recording.

I do also use the Blue Kiwi a lot as my close mic (which SAE 2111 seemed to prefer as well), I'd say for a more modern sound, the kiwi does a nice job, however, I will most likely start using the FLEA 12 to fill that role... or as a mic to fill in between the royer and kiwi. I think the FLEA 12 has a very pleasant brightness to it. As for test two, I think the FLEA 47 did very nicely with handling the es335 copy.

On the last test, I agree with fimone that the FLEA 12 is best, I was amazed by it's clarity. Up until now I've been using the Bottle with B4 as my preffered ambient mic, I like it better than the royer for ambience, but now I think the FLEA will take over for the ambience... I will keep testing the two mics for different sources.

I will do more tests in the near future, but until then I'd like to get some more opinions, thanks for listening!
Old 22nd June 2010
Gear Maniac

Good job !
I think a combination of 121 close and the flea 12 as a room will be very very good.
thank you
Old 24th June 2010
Gear Nut

you're welcome, and thank you.
I will probably end up using all the mics except the bottle for guitar amps from now on depending on the application.
I've heard the bottle's sdc cap is pretty nice for that type of recording though...
Old 24th June 2010
Lives for gear

thank you for this test! Very interesting.

My conclusion is that proper placement would bring good results with all mics
Old 24th June 2010
Hi there,

This is my first post to the gearslutz community. First of all let me thank you for this initiative. It's always nice to hear these shootouts with such quality microphones.

For me, nº5 was the R 121 and that was obvious, since I own one, its sound is simply unmistakable.

I personally in all tests and takes I didn't like the sound of the Blue Kiwi, it was always a bit harsh and unpleasant to my hear. But I know these mics are good, so maybe in different shootout it might come out better in the picture.

Has for the FLEA C12, simply lovely damn! I loved that clarity and vintage tone. So sweet! It simply proves that the vintage designs are still very very modern! it's a must have for sure.

I was also very pleased with the FLEA 47 on your guitar cab. It behaved very well! I knew already this mic and mine is already on its way!

Thanks for the test!

*Cheers*

Artur
Old 25th June 2010
Gear Nut

You are both welcome, thanks for your first post! I thought the kiwi was harsh too, but again as I say I have used that mic for lots of sessions. Maybe it doesn't go well in that room or, maybe as Ludovico is saying that placement will influence the sound. The Kiwi is my "go to" mic when recording random instruments like piano and percussion, which it handles very nicely.

Congrats on your purchase, you won't regret it! The 47 I guess isn't meant for recording guitar amps at high volumes, or so I have read. I'm not sure how loud other people set thier guitar amps at when recording, mine was set at 3 on the princeton which is a low watt amp... but at that volume it sounds good to me. The 47 is a very "hot" mic, so I think that is the reasoning. I dig the sound of it on the cab too though, I'm just not sure how it would handle a larger amp... maybe it's time for another test? hehe.
Old 25th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arasandvolodkas View Post
I also forgot to mention, I did not use any preamps or compressors in this test, what you are hearing is the mics plugged straight into my digi003+ rack. I wanted to give you guys a very straight sound. Also a brief apology, I let the Blue bottle clip in this take, I didn't realize until after the test was over.
:/
Hi,

Not to pick you you, but you DID use a preamp. The digi003 has preamps built into it. There is no such thing as "straight sound" with a mic (although certain preamps are known for being very "transparent"). It needs a preamp to create enough signal to record.

For these kinds of tests, you should use the best quality preamp that you have access to, in my opinion.

Just trying to help, sorry to be a know-it-all.
Old 25th June 2010
Gear Nut

I guess what I meant was that I used no external preamps that color the sound, I only own 1 two channel mic pre, so I didn't want to use it because it would not be fair to the mics that did not recieve the same treatment. I'm looking to get some more mic pre's but I can't afford them at the moment... anyone know of a decent one that has between 4 to 8 channels? lol.
Old 25th June 2010
I would really like too see you testing your microphones with other instruments, acoustic guitars and vocals mainly. It would be really nice!

You have a nice set of mics. I loved the sound of your FLEA 12, it almost convinced me to buy one It's already in my short list!

Cheers,

Arthur
Old 25th June 2010
Gear Nut

You are in luck! I was planning on doing those shootouts, I just need a few weeks because I want to work on my own stuff for a bit, I haven't had a chance to use the mics for my music much yet. I will probably be doing some more shoot outs the week after next... I will try to test it out on acoustic guitar, voice, piano, and maybe something else. I've got a few neat instruments if anyone has any requests.

Thanks arthur, I'm sure you would enjoy it if you were to own one, it's a nice compliment to have around when you have a 47!
Old 26th June 2010
Of course! that would be nice! Just take your time and keep those shootouts coming! Thanks!

Cheers,

Artur
Old 27th June 2010
Gear Maniac

I liked the Kiwi on test#1
thanks
Old 24th May 2011
bee
Lives for gear

I know this is a old thread but I'm digging that Flea12.heh
Old 8th June 2011
Any more info on the amp. Speaker, tubes, etc. Sounded very nice.
Old 18th June 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I know this is a old thread but I'm digging that Flea12.heh
Yeah, I wish I had a 2nd one, great for mic'ing up a piano as well! I haven't had access to my studio for several months, hope to remedy that in July. I'm going to try to record a brass section with it, if I am able I will post it when it's done.
Old 18th June 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrecprod View Post
Any more info on the amp. Speaker, tubes, etc. Sounded very nice.
The amplifier has an original speaker, I think. The speaker has a big service sticker covering up the info, (which I tried to remove but it's proven diffucult) but I can see that it is very old. Of what I can read, it says this:
Special =?????= for
Fender
then there is some font below, indicating it was made in chicago,
and the bottom says "musical instrument loudspeaker".
If you know anything about speakers let me know if that sounds like an original. I don't really care too much either way, but if people ask then I'll know what to tell them, haha.

As for tubes, Sovtek 5U4G, 2 6v6 GT's.

Whatever the case may be, it's still my favorite recording amp for sure, I have a vintage twin, roland jazz chorus, and an emery sound. If I had to sell all but 1 of my amps, then I would keep this one

Thanks for the listens and the compliment.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Guru

Very cool test. I have been very interested in starting to use more ribbons and condenser mics on guitar amps, so this is good listening.

The royer does sound fantastic, especially up close. I also quite like the darkness of the Flea 47, well it is crisp sounding too. The Flea 12 I'm not sure I'd go to for a main sound. Maybe in combination with another mic, or probably as a distant mic.

I didn't listen to the other mics, haha.
Old 29th January 2013
Deleted d69d8cd
Great test indeed, I thought the Flea 12 and 47 sounded very nice.
Listened to test 1.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Nut

Thank you, yes, agreed.

I will hopefully be posting a recording and video soon showing the FLEA 12 pair in action... I ended up selling the Blue bottle to get a 2nd one... they sound amazing on drums and piano, though I have yet to test the pair out. Each mic excels at certain sources.

Yeah the royer has become my go to for guitar amps, depending on what the setup is.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search