The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can You Tell The Difference? ART vs. Great River!
View Poll Results: Which preamp do you prefer?
Orange
222 Votes - 56.78%
Apple
169 Votes - 43.22%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

I haven't read through this thread in years, but if I remember correctly, a lot of people waited until the results were posted before giving their opinion.
In the grand scheme of things, all this test really proved was that the source, song, and arrangement of the material matters much more than gear. The ART files had more of a warm fuzziness, and the Great River was more clean and pristine. For this performance, warm and fuzzy won out.
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

GR stacks better.....imo
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Anyone game (besides me) NOT to read the "reveal", of which is which? And make their guess.
I thought it would be fun, to bump this old thread.
Chris
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

The files are gone and I wanted to listen to this test again
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Oops, sorry. Chris
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Oops, sorry. Chris
It would be great to revisit this listening test, love stuff like this
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

i have both. anyone want to buy an ART?.... seriously its not even close GR better recording vocals. but i guess it depends on what your recording. guitar bass etc
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC_MAN View Post
i have both. anyone want to buy an ART?.... seriously its not even close GR better recording vocals.
It'll be 'not even close' when you match the right unit to the right sample...which a lot of people failed to do back in the day.

Let's get them files up again somehow, let's have some laughs!!!!!!!

Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
It'll be 'not even close' when you match the right unit to the right sample...which a lot of people failed to do back in the day.

Let's get them files up again somehow, let's have some laughs!!!!!!!

laughs are always good. i wasnt speaking to the specific test here was just speaking to personal preference and experience. i use my GR for tracking not listening to playback cheers
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
I haven't read through this thread in years, but if I remember correctly, a lot of people waited until the results were posted before giving their opinion.
In the grand scheme of things, all this test really proved was that the source, song, and arrangement of the material matters much more than gear. The ART files had more of a warm fuzziness, and the Great River was more clean and pristine. For this performance, warm and fuzzy won out.

Yep all the usual gear snobs held back until they knew the answer than slated the ART once they knew what it was! Says all you need to know really. Modern budget gear is all you need - you may WANT something "better" but modern gear at any price won't prevent you making great music.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
...but modern gear at any price won't prevent you making great music.
True, but great gear can make it even better.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
True, but great gear can make it even better.
This goes without saying. That's like saying a 500 hp vehicle, doing 0-60 in 4 secs with a top of speed of 160mp/h will get you to your destination quickly, but a 600hp vehicle, doing 0-60 in 3.6 secs with a top speed of 170mp/h will get you to your destination quicker. The answer is DUH, OF COURSE IT WILL!

And that's not the argument! But I'm absolutely tired of these gear snobs that insist that you absolutely need the best, most expensive pieces of gear to get good sound, and anything else is noticeably inferior! This legendary test illustrates that simply isn't true. Most people preferred the ART, up until which was revealed as the ART - that says two things. The first is; we don't need expensive gear to make great quality music. And two, most of these snobbyists who claim to hear the difference between 48k and 96k or 192k,and can hear the nuances between cheap gear and expensive gear can't hear a goddamned thing if you don't tell them what they're listening to.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
all you need to know really. Modern budget gear is all you need - you may WANT something "better" but modern gear at any price won't prevent you making great music.
we can agree on this

another note the ART has more ways to adjust shape and control the sound
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I've used mics (like my T-funk Copperhead) that don't really care what pre you pair with them. It has a nice, big, robust sound even through interface pres. And I've used a lot of mics which drastically change with the pre, like a Shure SM81. It's all context.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I PM'd Dan (the thread starter), requesting a re-posting of the original files.

Personally, rather than any "snob thing" being predominant... I have an open mind to "confirmation bias" being a
factor. I understand that on a given source, there can be exceptions. Good to have a quiver of options IMHO.
Chris
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC_MAN View Post
laughs are always good. i wasnt speaking to the specific test here was just speaking to personal preference and experience. i use my GR for tracking not listening to playback cheers
I know, I know...but wouldn't it be great to have someone like you come and accurately match the right file to the right sample 10 out of 10 times? Now, that would be FUN!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search