The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can You Tell The Difference? ART vs. Great River! Condenser Microphones
View Poll Results: Which preamp do you prefer?
Orange
221 Votes - 56.67%
Apple
169 Votes - 43.33%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by archfrenemy View Post
The GR MP-2NV is an amazing sounding preamp. It is a great choice for an all around pre as it is extremely flexible and simple to use. If I were you, I would completely ignore this entire thread unless you plan to use the GR to record Mellencamp covers without attention to room treatment, mic placement or EQ.
Adleina,
Please disregard this creep. He/she seems to think that playing, acoustics, and technique trump over gear.

...whatever!

I think you should buy the Great River, right now
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Nut

Hah! Are either of you guys (archfrenemy or Jimbo) being sarcastic(?) You both seem to be giving a positive response about the GR upgrade. The way you go around saying it is hilariously confusing. Funny. Thanks
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

I am definitely not being sarcastic about the GR MP2-NV. It gets bashed in this shoot out thread, but the preamp only matters if everything else is in place. Room, Microphones / Placement, Knowledge, Ear... You really need somewhere in the range of +20 dBu input levels on your audio interface to allow for headroom at high gain settings. (Some interfaces that list +4 dBu input levels may have a headroom space buffer that provides the +20 dBu input level overall.)

Assuming that everything else is in place, the GR is pure magic. It is my "desert island" preamp. It is capable of extremely nuanced recordings ranging from clean, transparent and crisp - to warm, smooth and rich. It is flexible enough to be used on every track on an album. Some of my favorite sources include any acoustic instrument, vocals, DI analog synths and drums, DI electric bass.

Keep in mind though, it is just a preamp. We are talking about mostly subtle differences to great recordings. You need to be able to objectively access your room, instruments and other equipment and know that you are already 95% there. If not, then room treatment and a parametric EQ will probably yield the biggest improvement. Sorry for such a long post. I can't just recommend something this expensive and detail oriented without making sure it is appropriate.
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

Great thread. I prefered Orange. After the results, i still prefer orange despite his poor pedigree.

It means two things :

- my ears are foooked up (30 years behind a drumset ya know).
- i can trust them, cause price tag did'nt changed my perception.

I will not sell my good pres to get a bunch of Oranges, but at least it remind me to calm down with all this.

but , of course i'm an amateur recordist.

For those of you who have been making records professionally in good rooms, for years, i have questions aside of this thread :

- Did you prefered orange ? (c'mon, it's not that bad no ? after all, sound is not only a matter of education, but a matter of taste).
- In case of yes, would you choose it over apple for a project ? (i don't know if i would)
- Do you think the test did not reveal anything about pres ? (i don't)
- If oranges are good, why big room does not use them for making good records ? (My guess is : they could possibly do this. What they can't do is to sell studio time with oranges pres.)
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderblast View Post

- Did you prefered orange ? (c'mon, it's not that bad no ? after all, sound is not only a matter of education, but a matter of taste).
Not at all. Thought Orange sounded dreadful.

Quote:
- In case of yes, would you choose it over apple for a project ? (i don't know if i would)
Never.

Quote:
- Do you think the test did not reveal anything about pres ? (i don't)
The test revealed two things: before we knew which was which, it showed that the vast majority of users on Gearslutz are either deaf or don't know how to listen, don't know the kinds of sounds that go towards making a great recording, or simply have wretched taste.

After the reveal, it showed that GS is filled with both a giant number of lying wannabes (the folks who now suddenly thought Apple sounded great) and whiny, butthurt babies who hate the fact that their cheap consumer toys don't really stack up against proper professional equipment (the folks accusing everybody who picked Apple of being lying wannabes).

Quote:
- If oranges are good, why big room does not use them for making good records ? (My guess is : they could possibly do this. What they can't do is to sell studio time with oranges pres.)
As noted, Orange is not good. Though I wouldn't be so quick to say you can't make a good record with them. The preamp has nothing to do with the quality of record, only the quality of sound.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch View Post

Never.

The test revealed two things: before we knew which was which, it showed that the vast majority of users on Gearslutz are either deaf or don't know how to listen, don't know the kinds of sounds that go towards making a great recording, or simply have wretched taste.

After the reveal, it showed that GS is filled with both a giant number of lying wannabes (the folks who now suddenly thought Apple sounded great) and whiny, butthurt babies who hate the fact that their cheap consumer toys don't really stack up against proper professional equipment (the folks accusing everybody who picked Apple of being lying wannabes).

As noted, Orange is not good. Though I wouldn't be so quick to say you can't make a good record with them. The preamp has nothing to do with the quality of record, only the quality of sound.
You know, I looked for your post before the reveal since you so definitively knew that Apple was better...but I can't find it.

Strange how you said that GS is filled with lying wannabes, the folks who suddenly thought apple sounded great. I can't seem to find any post from you saying Apple was great until after the reveal...

Keep embarrassing yourself. I'm getting a real kick out of this!
Old 16th February 2013
Here for the gear

Apple is the Art I think, and the Orange is the Great River....I feel like I'm hearing that "whooly" tube saturation sound that you hear a lot with cheaper tube gear: the vocal transients on Apple aren't so nice however I'm digging the added saturation on the bass... Orange is more detailed throughout the frequency spectrum, it has a fuller more clear guitar sound.

That being said, both tracks are totally useable, but I'd probably pick Orange most days depending on what I had for breakfast that morning.
Old 17th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
You know, I looked for your post before the reveal since you so definitively knew that Apple was better...but I can't find it.

Strange how you said that GS is filled with lying wannabes, the folks who suddenly thought apple sounded great. I can't seem to find any post from you saying Apple was great until after the reveal...

Keep embarrassing yourself. I'm getting a real kick out of this!

^^ case in point.

Also: nice hipster website, weirdo. Glad you were able to take time away from your busy schedule of bashing teenagers and twenty-somethings to search through 25 pages of drivel for a post from me.
Old 17th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

^^ case in point.

Also: nice hipster website, weirdo. Glad you were able to take time away from your busy schedule of bashing teenagers and twenty-somethings to search through 25 pages of drivel for a post from me.
Takes no time at all to search. Here's a hint: click on your name and look for the selection that says, "Show only isawsasquatch's posts in this thread". In one click it's easy to see every post from that person in this thread.

Besides I always have time to embarrass a phony. It's too hard to pass up. I get a kick out of being called a weirdo by the person who makes no attempt to hide that he is exactly what he said is wrong with this thread. Or are you really that incapable of seeing what a fool you look like?
Old 17th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Takes no time at all to search. Here's a hint: click on your name and look for the selection that says, "Show only isawsasquatch's posts in this thread". In one click it's easy to see every post from that person in this thread.

Besides I always have time to embarrass a phony. It's too hard to pass up. I get a kick out of being called a weirdo by the person who makes no attempt to hide that he is exactly what he said is wrong with this thread. Or are you really that incapable of seeing what a fool you look like?
Maybe you should start a blog about it.
Old 5th March 2013
Gear Guru

Oddly enough, one of my favorite morning smoothies is Orange, Apple, and Banana.

I'm sure there's some kind of metaphor in there, if only I knew where to look.

What might be cool for we Orange/Apple virgins is if some kind soul relabeled the files and reposted them so newcomers like myself could take a newly blinded test.

In terms of possibly preferring the ART, I ain't scared of nothin'... a few years back I unwittingly preferred Behringer converters to Aurora, and every time I revisit that test I come to the same conclusion.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 5th March 2013
Gear Maniac

It´s a late bump. I dont care though. Thru my krk monitors, Orange was mutch better, the apple was flat but had sparkling highs almost like you get using an exciter, dont like exciter to mutch though.....

Gonna buy my me an Art MP
Cheers
Old 5th March 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Never.

You really whant the apple to sound better huh?

//As noted, Orange is not good//
Not good for whom?
Old 5th March 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Bwahahaaaaaaa

Lol. Of course you easily chose apple now! Hahahaaa

This bears repeating:

Made me laugh, needed that.....
Tanks for the fun time.
Cheers
Old 7th March 2013
Very impressed by the art
Old 27th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Anyone still have the files? The links seems don´t work anymore..
Old 13th March 2015
Gear Head

I have been using my ART Tube MP for twenty years this year, and have recorded hundreds of tracks of vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, bass, saxophones, flutes and sundry other instruments with it - almost always with praise for the great sounds that I captured with it.
There is a huge amount of snobbery about gear amongst musicians and recordists, and this thread just about sums it up.
Thanks for doing the comparison.
Old 13th March 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfall View Post
I have been using my ART Tube MP for twenty years this year, and have recorded hundreds of tracks of vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, bass, saxophones, flutes and sundry other instruments with it - almost always with praise for the great sounds that I captured with it.
There is a huge amount of snobbery about gear amongst musicians and recordists, and this thread just about sums it up.
Thanks for doing the comparison.
20 years …. is that the original model then?

here
Can You Tell The Difference?  ART vs. Great River!ART Tube MP Original mic pre amp (NEW) | eBay
Old 13th March 2015
Gear Head

Yes - and it has performed faultlessly all this time, though it has for many years had a NOS Mullard ECC83 in it.
Old 14th March 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfall View Post
Yes - and it has performed faultlessly all this time, though it has for many years had a NOS Mullard ECC83 in it.
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear

wish I could hear the comparison files. threads like these are true gold.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
wish I could hear the comparison files. threads like these are true gold.
I can vaguely remember this thread. But, if my memory serves me right, I think I voted for the Art preamp. lol

Edit: I just checked the first page; YUP! I definitely voted Orange, for the ART. Lmao
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

This thread should be in the GS hall of fame. It will forever be one of the best examples of insecurity, backpedaling, vote changing, and the old chestnut, "I'm listening on my laptop speakers". I'm still chuckling, re-reading through it all these years later watching how many GS'ers suddenly knew "Apple is the GR, you're deaf if you think otherwise" AFTER the results were revealed. Great times.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
This thread should be in the GS hall of fame. It will forever be one of the best examples of insecurity, backpedaling, vote changing, and the old chestnut, "I'm listening on my laptop speakers". I'm still chuckling, re-reading through it all these years later watching how many GS'ers suddenly knew "Apple is the GR, you're deaf if you think otherwise" AFTER the results were revealed. Great times.
Agreed! It should be pinned/stickied. I think, when I get my gear I'll do a similar comparison.

This thread is golden! It really illustrates how confirmation bias can cloud one's perception.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's the thread I will think about, whenever I read "Art Tube MP is useless crap".
Old 31st December 2018
Gear Head
Sorry to resurrect a necrothread, but are the recordings still available? The links in the initial thread are to a domain that's been re-registered.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Thumbs up Yes! Hall of Fame!

Quote:
I don't even remember how I wound up here. I was looking for gear on another website I think, and saw this link. You know how it goes. I vaguely remembered this thread as it was prolific even back then, but had forgotten how entertaining it all was. Your summary is spot-on and I got many laughs from it.
Anyway, more than one lesson to learn from this thread.
Cheers.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Wow! This took me back - have I been here this long? This was a good time for GS as a site

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search