The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JJ Audio Apex 460 mod CT12/ M7
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

I definitely know we are looking forward to putting together a C12 mic for Studio E. I certainly have extolled the virtues of Tim Campbell's CT12 capsule.

I love having so many flavors of microphone at my disposal here.

You can paint with such diverse colors.

Coupling those mics with some sweet pres always makes for a fun time as well!

I'm really digging running my Schnauzer (ELA M 251) into the ADK AP1 preamp, especially on male RnB and rap vox.

Peace
Illumination
Old 3rd November 2010
Gear Nut

Update on the "M7" mic -- I got the mic, it sounded pretty good but a little tight and constrained. Jim is so cool about service... he happily took it back, tweaked it a bit more, swapped transformers, sent me clips till we were both happy and sent it back.

GOOD LORD! It sounds really really good! It's huge, warm, natural, wide open, and has absolutely ZERO hype anywhere in the spectrum. I never thought I would own a mic that sounds this good, seriously. With the Thiersch PVC capsule, it was pricier than the typical 460 mods but it still cost me less than any M7/K47 style tube LDC that I would put in this class of sound.

I haven't compared it to anything side by side yet but I'm going to get some comparison clips up here really soon... I promise! Maybe a Soundelux E47, Neumann M147 and a Gefell UM75? I'll see what I can pull together and get back to you all shortly.
Old 3rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixlrose View Post
Update on the "M7" mic -- I got the mic, it sounded pretty good but a little tight and constrained. Jim is so cool about service... he happily took it back, tweaked it a bit more, swapped transformers, sent me clips till we were both happy and sent it back.

GOOD LORD! It sounds really really good! It's huge, warm, natural, wide open, and has absolutely ZERO hype anywhere in the spectrum. I never thought I would own a mic that sounds this good, seriously. With the Thiersch PVC capsule, it was pricier than the typical 460 mods but it still cost me less than any M7/K47 style tube LDC that I would put in this class of sound.

I haven't compared it to anything side by side yet but I'm going to get some comparison clips up here really soon... I promise! Maybe a Soundelux E47, Neumann M147 and a Gefell UM75? I'll see what I can pull together and get back to you all shortly.

...Clips....

That is a beautiful mic!!!

Old 3rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please post some clips of the new mic! When I listened to the first clips I didn't think the M7 version sounded that much better than the stock version as far as how boxed in the sound seemed. Then when I saw that pic I knew the transformer was not helping the situation at all. What is the new transformer that you have?
Old 3rd November 2010
Gear Nut

JJ Audio Apex 460 mod CT12/ M7

I will post a clip of the mic this weekend, and some comparisons shortly after that. I think the transformer is a Cinemag of some kind. Jim could speak to that. Now, keep in mind, I was looking for a mic that had a nice "round" and big sound with smooth highs and a lot of mid/low mid detail... the qualities you would normally associate with a U47 style mic, I guess. I wasn't looking for a "clone" of any kind, just a mic with that kind of feel and a signature of it's own... that's what I got. It's not a dark mic, by any means, but it doesn't have that high end zing that seems to be popular with folks who prefer more of a C12 or U67 type of voicing. This mic seems to handle ess sounds much better than the E47 that I'm used to using, but it doesn't seem to be any darker. We'll have to see when I compare side by side.
Old 3rd November 2010
Lives for gear

The new transformer is a Cinemag 2461 and is a 6.5:1 ratio. The mic now has a better low and mid response thumbsup

Old 3rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysenterygary View Post
Please post some clips of the new mic! When I listened to the first clips I didn't think the M7 version sounded that much better than the stock version as far as how boxed in the sound seemed. Then when I saw that pic I knew the transformer was not helping the situation at all. What is the new transformer that you have?
Just to be fair to our transformer winder, the transformer in the M7 build was originally a 100% steel core design that I requested as an experimental build.

A quick review of the responses demonstrate that some folks actually dug the sound of the Thiersch with this iron core transformer, however the low end response was not what the client was looking for so we went with a different transformer.

In hindsight the 80% nickel core design that we have beta tested is very warm, very clear and has gobs and gobs of low end. The high nickel core went into my personal 6AK5W microphone code named the Husky. It has a JJ47 capsule, a Mullard 6ak5w and the high nickel core transformer along with the PIO cap.

Sounds SWEET!

Looks alone won't tell you about a transformer BTW, Oliver's transformers from Tab Funkenwerk are awesome sounding (I have one in my Schnauzer) but some of them look like they came out of a droid from Star Wars heh

And I mean that in a good way!

Peace
Illumination
Old 8th November 2010
Gear Nut

Okay! Here are a couple of clips. I did these really quick and dirty but I hope they help to get an idea of what the mic sounds like. Please forgive my half arsed Bob Dylan impression.

This is the JJ Audio modded Apex 460 with a Thiersch STW7 PVC > Daking Mic Pre/EQ (eq off) > RME ADI-2 into Pro Tools.

Unfortunately, the room is very very dead so you wont hear much of it around the sound. Yadda yadda..
Attached Files

Voc.mp3 (1.83 MB, 926 views)

Voc and Guit.mp3 (2.31 MB, 930 views)

Old 8th November 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Okay! Here are a couple of clips. I did these really quick and dirty but I hope they help to get an idea of what the mic sounds like. Please forgive my half arsed Bob Dylan impression.

This is the JJ Audio modded Apex 460 with a Thiersch STW7 PVC > Daking Mic Pre/EQ (eq off) > RME ADI-2 into Pro Tools.

Unfortunately, the room is very very dead so you wont hear much of it around the sound. Yadda yadda..
Damn that sounds good.

THAT is what you call AWESOME!

Again.

Thiersch STW7 PVC, 6AK5W tube, Cinemag USA NiCo TX, JJ Audio USA hand made mics plus quality parts. Worth its weight in GOLD.

Peace
Illumination
Old 8th November 2010
Lives for gear

Nice clips...Also I want a example with a Dutch CT-12 mic¡¡¡
Old 9th November 2010
Lives for gear

thumbsup Awesome clips thumbsup

Nice work!!

Old 1st December 2010
Lives for gear

...I told my partner/engineer about Jim's work and he sent Jim his Avantone CV-12...Jim did his magic (including one of those big-ass paper/oil capacitors) and the mic is magical!...suffice to say, this guy has a mic closet full of vintage Neumanns and AKGs, but the JJ Audio/CV-12 has been dominating the mic stands lately...looks like some vintage mics are going up on the auction block soon...

...so I have this gi-normous Cascade V55 valve mic (built for Cascade by sE)...this thing is bigger than a 26oz can of baked beans, so I can only imagine the transformer Jim can throw in...as soon as my holiday financial committments are completed, this badboy is headed for JJ mods-ville...new upgraded capsule, tranny, circuit tweeks and power supply tweeks!...I already swapped out the stock Mullard CV4024 for a sweet GE 5 Star triple mica 6072...

...I threw an sE 2200A in the case next to it in that last pic, just for size reference...

...warm up that soldering gun Jimbo!...
Attached Thumbnails
JJ Audio Apex 460 mod  CT12/ M7-v55hanging.jpg   JJ Audio Apex 460 mod  CT12/ M7-v55-tube.jpg   JJ Audio Apex 460 mod  CT12/ M7-v55powersupply.jpg   JJ Audio Apex 460 mod  CT12/ M7-v55-incase.jpg  
Old 3rd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Damn that sounds good.

THAT is what you call AWESOME!

Again.

Thiersch STW7 PVC, 6AK5W tube, Cinemag USA NiCo TX, JJ Audio USA hand made mics plus quality parts. Worth its weight in GOLD.

Peace
Illumination
Hello so what`s the price for this microphone with those mods above ?
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...suffice to say, this guy has a mic closet full of vintage Neumanns and AKGs, but the JJ Audio/CV-12 has been dominating the mic stands lately...looks like some vintage mics are going up on the auction block soon...
omg...then your buddy has been neglecting his "vintage neumanns and akgs" and should have had them fvcking serviced!..fvck i hate this sort of over adulated, nonsense hubris.really, it's just utter crap..jesus h christ
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
omg...then your buddy has been neglecting his "vintage neumanns and akgs" and should have had them fvcking serviced!..fvck i hate this sort of over adulated, nonsense hubris.really, it's just utter crap..jesus h christ
...my partner is engineer Kevin Miller (Mariah Carey, John Legend)...on most days he can be found running the 154 Channel Euphonix System 5 Console at Echo Beach Studio in Jupiter Beach or the SSL big board at the Hit Factory/Criteria in Miami (with producer Danja), down here in S. FL...if you'd like, I'll PM you his email address and you can ask him yourself (or make an offer on one of his mics)...the JJ Audio modded Avantone CV-12 is his weapon of choice in his home studio, no crap (utter or otherwise)...

...but if you don't want to contact Kevin, you can always get in touch with multi Grammy award winning producer Bobby Eli (Philly Sound) at Studio E...he'd be glad to give you his thoughts on JJ Audio modded microphones...

...the funny thing about comments like this is, it wasn't that long ago that guys like Dave Bock, Dave Pearlman, Ben Sneesby and others were repairing and modding other peoples' gear...just part of the natural progression leading to their own line of premium quality microphones...myself, I'm looking forward to Jim Jacobsen's proprietary products when they're ready...
Old 4th January 2011
JJ Audio Premium Dutch ordered today!

Well, After many MANY listening test in my studio and reading up on JJ. Im taking a Plunge. Very impressed by JJ Audio's Modding of the 460. I Ordered my Premium Modded Blonde Dutch 460 with Campbell C12 Cap , Tab TxFrmer, with all new Guts/Grille to spec. Fingers Crossed. So far so good with the order/ and correspondence with Langston. When it arrives, I plan on doing a shootout with my Wunder Audio U47GT(K47), SM7b, Soundelux U195, into Lynx Aroura > Antelope Audio clock, P Tools HD>>Just have some Fun . The build time is a bit lengthy but I guess when an ENTIRE Re build is being done for a mic , it happens. Hopefully it will make it's journey to Florida safely and I can post some clips asap!... Im such a slut.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ology View Post
Well, After many MANY listening test in my studio and reading up on JJ. Im taking a Plunge. Very impressed by JJ Audio's Modding of the 460. I Ordered my Premium Modded Blonde Dutch 460 with Campbell C12 Cap , Tab TxFrmer, with all new Guts/Grille to spec. Fingers Crossed. So far so good with the order/ and correspondence with Langston. When it arrives, I plan on doing a shootout with my Wunder Audio U47GT(K47), SM7b, Soundelux U195, into Lynx Aroura > Antelope Audio clock, P Tools HD>>Just have some Fun . The build time is a bit lengthy but I guess when an ENTIRE Re build is being done for a mic , it happens. Hopefully it will make it's journey to Florida safely and I can post some clips asap!... Im such a slut.
Hey it was a pleasure dealing with you, the Dutch is an incredibly sweet sounding platform in the configuration you're referring to and I LOVE the way the mic sounds.

Just in case this clip hasn't surfaced, I have an awesome clip of Amazing Grace that is just like WOW from the exact same Dutch configuration that ology ordered.

Check it out!hehhehheh

Tim Campbell Dutch Premium Full Blown Mod - Amazing Grace

This is what we received directly from the client and is untouched by us.

I can still listen to this clip on a laptop and it sends chills down my spine

Peace
lllumination
Old 5th January 2011
Yeah, I actually listened to that clip through my Studio monitors many times last night. VERY impressive mic. Nice mids on it as well but the air it captured was crazy good..... Im sure most of it was the voice of course but what the mic did was amazing... JJ needs more clips from good singers like that...imho.
Old 10th February 2011
Gear Head

Very nice sound on the clip. What capacitor are you using in the c8 position?
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b-3 View Post
Very nice sound on the clip. What capacitor are you using in the c8 position?

The C8 capacitor on the stock Dutch is a 1UF mundorf. The Paper in oil upgrade is a 0.5UF Paper in Oil. both sound great!!

Best
Jim Jacobsen
JJ Audio
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

That sounds absolutely incredible.
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

How do you go about buying the Thiersch capsule? And what made you decide on the blue line over the red line?
Old 19th February 2011
Gear Nut

JJ Audio Mod vs. Soundelux E47c

If anyone is interested, I put this JJ Audio mic with the STW7 PVC cap up next to a Soundelux E47c yesterday and did some clips. Check it out here. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysenterygary View Post
How do you go about buying the Thiersch capsule? And what made you decide on the blue line over the red line?
I ordered through the Thiersch website and I chose the Blue Line at Jim's suggestion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search