The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Retro Sta-Level, CL1b, MC77, Distressor EL8 - processed files
Old 12th October 2015
  #271
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

What a cool undertaking. Thanks, littlesicily. I will check these out tonight.
Old 13th October 2015
  #272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
What a cool undertaking. Thanks, littlesicily. I will check these out tonight.
You're welcome!
Old 13th October 2015
  #273
Files added of CAPI FC526 FET Compressor. This comp is really special. Great sounding unit, excellent tone, added 2:1 ratio, S/C HPF Circuit. Several Op Amps choices. Kits available at Classic Audio Products of IL, Inc.

Also, I ziped ALL the comp files into one folder and provided a LINK to download ALL of them at once.
The link is in the 1st post.
Old 17th October 2016
  #274
Gear Maniac
I realize this is quite an old thread, but it is an awesome one. Any chance to run the vocal through a Chandler RS124, Highland BG2, AML 54F50 and/or Manley ELOP+? Would be awesome, thank you!
Old 17th October 2016
  #275
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecMyWorld View Post
I realize this is quite an old thread, but it is an awesome one. Any chance to run the vocal through a Chandler RS124, Highland BG2, AML 54F50 and/or Manley ELOP+? Would be awesome, thank you!
Glad u found this thread helpful. I don't have those comps on hand but if any of them come thru my studio I'll gladly add them.
Old 18th October 2016
  #276
Gear Maniac
That would be fantastic. Thanks again!
Old 3rd November 2016
  #277
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Yeah, Joe Meek was kinda boxy and dark compared to the rest. I'm sure it has it's place. Mine found it's place in someone else's rack!
Man, the Vc1 is my favorite. I'm weird I guess. lol
Old 3rd November 2016
  #278
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRanger View Post
Man, the Vc1 is my favorite. I'm weird I guess. lol
To each his own!
Old 27th June 2017
  #279
Gear Head
 

Wow! Thanks for this (I know it's old, but files are still there and still useful - so, thank you). Definite favourites for me were:

Sta-level, and CL 1B.

Wasn't anticipating loving the Sta so much! Very smooth & very natural to my ears. I suspect most (including myself) are finding the Sta particularly good here because of how it tames the strident sibilance with what seems like a gentle HF roll-off. Worked perfectly for this vocal.

However, IMO the CL 1B lifts and evens out that essential midrange in a way that no other compressor managed to do here. Distressor fairly decent but a bit "hard" sounding in upper mids IMO.

For this vocal, I'd have settled on the Sta. But there's just something about that CL 1B!

Fun, thanks!
Old 28th June 2017
  #280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrodmusic View Post
Wow! Thanks for this (I know it's old, but files are still there and still useful - so, thank you). Definite favourites for me were:

Sta-level, and CL 1B.

Wasn't anticipating loving the Sta so much! Very smooth & very natural to my ears. I suspect most (including myself) are finding the Sta particularly good here because of how it tames the strident sibilance with what seems like a gentle HF roll-off. Worked perfectly for this vocal.

However, IMO the CL 1B lifts and evens out that essential midrange in a way that no other compressor managed to do here. Distressor fairly decent but a bit "hard" sounding in upper mids IMO.

For this vocal, I'd have settled on the Sta. But there's just something about that CL 1B!

Fun, thanks!
You're welcome! Yes I love those two comps also.
Old 3rd July 2017
  #281
Lives for gear
 
funka's Avatar
 

Quote:
Any chance to run the vocal through a Chandler RS124, Highland BG2, AML 54F50 and/or Manley ELOP+? Would be awesome, thank you!
I'll do some samples with the BG2. Ok?
Old 11th July 2017
  #282
Lives for gear
 
funka's Avatar
 

Here are 6 files with a BG2: all with 600 ohms / American / Fast attack setting, but with different releases, from 1 to 6. All at -20db max. gain reduction.
Attached Files

BG2 600 am fast r1 -20gr.wav (3.32 MB, 849 views)

BG2 600 am fast r3 -20gr.wav (3.32 MB, 849 views)

BG2 600 am fast r5 -20gr.wav (3.32 MB, 843 views)

BG2 600 am fast r6 -20gr.wav (3.32 MB, 848 views)

BG2 600 am fast r4 -20gr.wav (3.32 MB, 833 views)

BG2 600 am fast r2 -20gr.wav (3.32 MB, 910 views)

Old 3rd September 2017
  #283
I'm gonna add a few more soon.

I have a new favorite compressor I wanna share...
Old 4th October 2017
  #284
Lives for gear
 
ghostwriter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
I have a new favorite compressor I wanna share...
New compressor?

Do tell.
Old 5th October 2017
  #285
Actually, I have two new favorites!
A pair of Serpent Audio SPLICE MKII's!

Sold my Urei's... these rock.
Attached Thumbnails
Retro Sta-Level, CL1b, MC77, Distressor EL8 - processed files-splice.jpg  
Old 6th October 2017
  #286
Lives for gear
 
ghostwriter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Actually, I have two new favorites!
A pair of Serpent Audio SPLICE MKII's!

Sold my Urei's... these rock.
Lucky you, I can't wait to hear them.
They are on my radar, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.
The 'Blue Stripe' characteristics is what peaked my curiosity the most.

Last edited by ghostwriter; 6th October 2017 at 06:18 PM..
Old 8th October 2017
  #287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
Lucky you, I can't wait to hear them.
They are on my radar, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.
The 'Blue Stripe' characteristics is what peaked my curiosity the most.
Yeah, these are more useful than any Urei I've ever owned. The sound is totally there, and then the 2:1, side chain & blend features take it over the top.
Old 13th December 2017
  #288
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Yeah, these are more useful than any Urei I've ever owned. The sound is totally there, and then the 2:1, side chain & blend features take it over the top.
Epic effort, thanks again!

Did you post examples of the Serpents? Currently have me eye on that, along with the MC77, 176 and CL-1B.

CL-1B and 176 my faves. Depends on the flavour you want!
Old 6th March 2020
  #289
Lives for gear
 
MREVOL's Avatar
 

Would someone be so kind to make some takes from a chandler rs124.

Really curious on that unit

Thanks
Old 6th March 2020
  #290
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Actually, I have two new favorites!
A pair of Serpent Audio SPLICE MKII's!

Sold my Urei's... these rock.
Well, no knock on the Serpents... but I'm back to Urei's. After much use and a/b I came to the conclusion that if you want "THAT SOUND" you need the originals. The Serpent's are great and a more modern version of that color, but for the way these originals saturate is just not capable in recreations, IME.
Currently loving these comps:
Red3 original w in/out xfmrs (the plugin versions are laughable in comparison)
Pair of Urei La3a's
Urei 1176-F (my fave revision)
Teletronix La2a
Tube Tech CL1b
Attached Thumbnails
Retro Sta-Level, CL1b, MC77, Distressor EL8 - processed files-b5b85589-a070-415d-afcf-aa339259622e.jpg  
Old 6th March 2020
  #291
Lives for gear
 
MREVOL's Avatar
 

Very awesome to hear an update on where you're at with these toys.

Did you ever a/b mohog's against the urei's? Part of me is thinking about selling my Rev.F's for mohog's and putting money towards something else.

Would really love to hear a rs124.
Old 6th March 2020
  #292
Lives for gear
 
MREVOL's Avatar
 

BTW why did you go back to the la2a and cl1b. Weren't you digging the sat-level? I could be wrong but I thought it was you.
Old 7th March 2020
  #293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL View Post
Very awesome to hear an update on where you're at with these toys.

Did you ever a/b mohog's against the urei's? Part of me is thinking about selling my Rev.F's for mohog's and putting money towards something else.

Would really love to hear a rs124.
I haven't heard the Mohogs but kinda gave up on looking for a cheaper way to the Urei sound. Some get close but I guess I just wanted the sound I've been hearing on records for decades.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL View Post
BTW why did you go back to the la2a and cl1b. Weren't you digging the sat-level? I could be wrong but I thought it was you.
The STA-Level sounds massive and thick and very impressive when solo'd in shootouts. In the real-world it's incredible around 10% of the time and the other 90% can be too much. The La2a works 90% of the time...same with Cl1b so I opted to keep these two. If I want a little more saturation and low end I patch my RND 542s.
Old 9th April 2020
  #294
Gear Nut
Almost a toss up, between the sta level, and the distressor on this voice, I believe, either of these would sit nicely in a mix. Difficult to make a decision without hearing the vocals with music although, the sta does something beautiful when, this particular vocalist opens up into her head voice, and for this reason, I have to choose the sta level.
I love the distressor, and have for years, use it on pretty much anything, and if, you put in the work, usually you'll end up with a good sounding track. We own the HW. I've used the el-8 and the el-8x. Distressor provides you a large bag of tricks. Once you get to really know the distressor, you will understand why it is almost, must-have HW.

Magic however, always wins, the sta level should be this vocalists go-to imho.

Great shootout! Many thanks. I'll be listening on this thread for years!
Old 11th April 2020
  #295
Lives for gear
 
CrankyChris's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
I took a vocal file from the 3d Audio "Mic Pre CD"
I knew I recognized that cut lol. I wore that cd out. It's why I have a GML and a Great River White pres.
Old 11th April 2020
  #296
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyChris View Post
I knew I recognized that cut lol. I wore that cd out. It's why I have a GML and a Great River White pres.
Yeah Lynn's CDs were really helpful to me. Even still, I ended up buying/trying close to 60 preamps and comps over the last 15 years because I wanted to really know each unit's sound in real-world scenarios over a wider range of sources.
Old 13th April 2020
  #297
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLSentelle View Post
I love the distressor, and have for years, use it on pretty much anything, and if, you put in the work, usually you'll end up with a good sounding track. We own the HW. I've used the el-8 and the el-8x. Distressor provides you a large bag of tricks. Once you get to really know the distressor, you will understand why it is almost, must-have HW.
I had a pair of Distressors years ago and, while they are capable of lots of curves, I found no matter how you change the settings they always sound like... a Distressor. The edge they impart is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on the source and your needs. I found I could have a MUCH larger sonic palette by having several different compressors (opto, VCA, FET, etc).
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 66 views: 11061
Avatar for Barnaby150
Barnaby150 5 days ago
replies: 795 views: 157466
Avatar for DSK
DSK 3 weeks ago
replies: 71 views: 5437
Avatar for Chris Lago
Chris Lago 25th October 2009
replies: 2191 views: 185558
Avatar for cjogo
cjogo 1 day ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump