The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Linear Phase EQ shootout!!! Equalizer Plugins
Old 29th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble View Post
What does the spectrum of the nulled signal look like?
If you see a lump at/around 500hz, it indicates that your settings were incorrect; grab an analyser and verify that you get -6dB at 500Hz from both filters; with 24db/oct this should work out correct. Also, you'll need a Q of 0.707, using the standard definition. Plausibly the EQ designer might normalise this to 1. I've seen weirder things.
Also, make sure you test on a static signal! :P

Dave.
The settings are definitely good, and identical. The spectrum shows a lump at 500 Hz down about -132 dB. Using 24db/oct the residual signal is down at around -53 dB. When I try this with other LP's, for example my DAW's LP EQ, I get down to -163 dB thereabouts.
Old 29th July 2010
Gear Addict

Notice that a linear-phase filter has to be made with some compromises and the differences may well be bigger than between minimum-phase EQs. For example Algorithmix Red and Orange are both linear phase.

Technically:
A minimum-phase filter has (theoretically) infinite post-ringing. A perfect linear-phase filter requires infinite pre-ringing, but in real world you can only have a limited latency. Some linear-phase EQs let you choose this latency, some don't.
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
The settings are definitely good, and identical. The spectrum shows a lump at 500 Hz down about -132 dB. Using 24db/oct the residual signal is down at around -53 dB. When I try this with other LP's, for example my DAW's LP EQ, I get down to -163 dB thereabouts.
Try sweeping one of the frequencies around and see if you can do anything that improves the -53dB figure. Might be that the filters are normalised so that you always have -3dB at the cutoff frequency, rather than -6dB.
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtrbn View Post
Notice that a linear-phase filter has to be made with some compromises and the differences may well be bigger than between minimum-phase EQs. For example Algorithmix Red and Orange are both linear phase.

Technically:
A minimum-phase filter has (theoretically) infinite post-ringing. A perfect linear-phase filter requires infinite pre-ringing, but in real world you can only have a limited latency. Some linear-phase EQs let you choose this latency, some don't.
Absolutely right, but the ringing does tail off pretty fast, particularly for something simple like a smooth 6dB shelf lift; to the extent that the window chosen (what we use to make the ringing behave) shouldn't have THAT much of a difference. If it was <-96dB of cancellation, I'd believe it was a windowing/response length matter; because that would indicate a bit of error in computing the response shapes, and that would really be believable. The >-30dB cancellation I was hearing (do try it yourself), and the fact that it sounds just like a phaser leads me to suspect that a repeat of the test would be informative.

Dave.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search