The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oktava MK-012 vs. Schoeps MK21 & RME FF400 vs. Steinberg MR816X Audio Interfaces
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

FF400 has the same preamps like the UC, UCX and UFX. The Fireface 800 has different preamps because it is older.

Comparison of FF400 preamps with DAV BG1 et al. here.

Comparison of FF400 preamps with DAV BG1 and Fearn VT-2 on Beyer M 130 (ribbon).

Comparison of FF400 preamps with DAV BG1 and Fearn VT-2 on Schoeps MK 21.

I do not agree on your statement about the Fireface 400 preamp being bad. I agree that the MR816 are warmer (because of a bit of colour).
Old 10th June 2014
Gear Guru

Thanks for this test, good selection of gear to listen to and a nice little piece of music. The Steinberg sounded a little clearer than the FF and the Schoeps clearer than the Oktava, I haven't picked a favorite.

I have just taken ownership of a Steinberg UR824 and am eager to put it to use. I got rid of two Echo Audiofires which do not compete with it on any level...sound, features, build quality, software. Steinberg is clearly the better interface (than the Echo).
Old 12th August 2014
Gear Head

The Schoeps/ 816 is so much better. The FF sounds pretty dead in comparison.
This isn't the first time I've heard and been told about the RME gear sounding like this but the 816 is pretty decent for the price.

Monkey.... How is it living with the 824?

James
Old 31st May 2015
Gear Head
I cant hear enough of a difference to warrant going one way or the other.

Which ever one is cheaper and/ or has better drivers. Seriously, most units sound good enough these days to get some amazing recordings.

Throw a couple nice pres and use it on a channel that bypasses the pres, and just about any unit you buy these days will work. The pres in these all in ones are generally all very similar in design, with different op amps being the main difference. I am yet to hear a new unit that is not capable of a good recording and which do not have useable pres, in some way.

How about a test of the crappiest AD conversion that make it impossible to get a useable recording. This would be hard to do.
Old 31st May 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whestworld View Post
Monkey.... How is it living with the 824?

James
Sorry just saw this months later.

James I have grown very attached to the UR824. I have a lot of converters and interfaces, actually 5 separate units, but the UR824 is competent even with stiff competition.

I mostly use it for outboard, out of the box mixing, but I have made very clean recordings with it also.

This is a truly modern interface. Meaning maximum features, value, and sound quality by today's standards. I can't find any faults with it other than the software is somewhat convoluted.

I'm using it as a standalone ADAT interface though so this is a non-issue for me.

Apollo is my main recording interface, but UR824 is a great expansion.
Old 20th August 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post

RME converters are great! Used in oh-so-many-world-class mastering studios.
For recording, brilliant!
Sorry,
But I have to point out that this post is totally wrong and can mislead inexperienced people into believing otherwise.

RME converters are NOT used or were NOT used in any World Class Mastering Studios.

Not to say anything bad about RME, I actually really like RME sound cards is that that post is simply not true.

World Class Mastering Studios use Lavry, Prism, Mytek, Benchmark, Crane Song Converters.

Even Apogee converters are rare in World Class Mastering Studios.
Old 2nd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLCacciLLo View Post
Sorry,
But I have to point out that this post is totally wrong and can mislead inexperienced people into believing otherwise.

RME converters are NOT used or were NOT used in any World Class Mastering Studios.

Not to say anything bad about RME, I actually really like RME sound cards is that that post is simply not true.

World Class Mastering Studios use Lavry, Prism, Mytek, Benchmark, Crane Song Converters.

Even Apogee converters are rare in World Class Mastering Studios.
Wow, thanks for that. You quoted a 5+ year old post of mine, talk about misleading...

First, define "world class" ... is it a grammy awarded studio, or a 24/7 workhouse enterprise with thousands of happy customers, from all over the world, with high quality end product?

How many top jazz artists prefer purity of RME over the character of Crane? How many death metal artists prefer the frying on a Mytek chip over Lavry, or vice versa?

Of course "no one" uses Apogee for mastering, as this converter is know for it's character, not it's transparency! Still, genre depending, that could very well be a valid choice. But certainly not the norm.

Mainly, who is behind, and what is the signal chain before these converters?

And "totally wrong", I ping pong back to you. I talked about RME converters, not specifically the Fireface - just to set the record straight, since we're going totally off-topic here.

And to further that, RME is still used not solely for it's converters, but for it's rock-solid drivers and TotalMix, that to this day are both industry standard, and I dare anyone to say otherwise.

The HDSPe AES has been, and in some cases still is, used as the center point distribution PCIe card. At one point, back in time we could even say it was the de-facto card for any pure analog mastering house. Exactly because back then you DID NOT (if one needs to capitalise to emphasise a point) hit the converter near, or just over, clipping. What you did want was a very high headroom, clean and transparent superb low floor noise converter, to capture the essence of true analog sound, and in rock and pop, tape saturation. And that is what RME converters are known for. Some call them "stale" 'cos they don't add character. That is exactly why the ADI-8 QS was such a success in the mastering market. and exactly why both, despite the age, are still being produced.

5+ years ago, and back, you had better converters but much worse jitter sync'ing gear. How about that? The clocks on RME's are solid gold.

And I am not even going to go on about MADI and Multiface, or even dare mention the now almost vintage hdsp9652 - still in use and much loved.

Nowadays, sure, the industry has evolved and thank goodness for commercial competition. The norm is one-rack-size-fits-all top shelf converters to do "kinda" both at the same time. Add character and have superb range. Sausage mastering, anyone? Time have changed, no doubt. Some even have an "analog saturation" button to press and make LEDs glow red. RME are the exact opposite of that.

Bollywood adores RME for example. So does Latin America. So do slutty american real tape ops.

RME HDSPe AIO
RME interfacce for mastering
New Daw : pci audio card or?

Is the Boiler Room not "world class" ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbtd8nZwKJM

These are not just random google hits, just a quick search & checking credits. Again, judge what "world class" is.

Restoration | Mastering | Bauer Studios Ludwigsburg
El Estudio | Astor Mastering
Kilohertz - Equipment of our online audio mastering studio - Strasbourg, Alsace, France

So please do you homework before the near flaming, and have a look around in google, or right here, about why and when RME converters ARE used in world class mastering.

And I did not say they were the best! Just that they are great, and yes, used in oh-so-many mastering studios dating 5+ years and backwards. Times have changed, and if I ran a mastering house, I would definitely buy something better. The industry has evolved and there are much better products available.

But for the price, RME still kicks some serious butt.

Last edited by Big_Bang; 2nd November 2015 at 05:51 PM..
Old 15th November 2015
Lives for gear

The Steinberg pres are Yamaha's D-Pre design -- discrete Class A circuits.
Old 24th December 2018
Lives for gear

The Schoeps are indeed much better, but the Oktavas are good for the price.
Old 15th January 2019
Gear Addict

The Schoeps might have sounded smoother, but the Oktavas had a great big sound and very emotional. I liked the sound from both setups, so really everyone wins!

For the money difference the MK-012 really does perform well. Just test mic placement.
Old 7th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
How many top jazz artists prefer purity of RME over the character of Crane?
None!

You made a wrong statement, probably based on the knowledge you had at the time.

Admit it and move on....
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLCacciLLo View Post
None!

You made a wrong statement, probably based on the knowledge you had at the time.

Admit it and move on....
Wow… last time you bumped a 5 year old post, now you quoted me on a 3 year old post.

Plus, you seem to agree with me, clearly because you didn't understand my statement, or for some reason just wish to call me out on old posts. Of course the answer is "None!" - that was the whole point of that post.

Sure dude, whatever makes you tick… go for it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search