The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JJ Audio Mics Milkbone Mod (MXL 991) VS Neumann KMi84 Condenser Microphones
View Poll Results: Which file is the Neumann KMi84???
JJ Audio Milkbone vs KMI84
27 Votes - 65.85%
KMI84 VS JJ Audio Mics Milkbone
14 Votes - 34.15%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
This may be naive, as I know very little about mic circuits and their fineties of interaction, but would it be worth you lot trying a transformer out on this Milkbone thing? I say this, as I learned the transformer coupling cap and its size (almost tripled it ...) in my G7 mic is a very good way to play around with the bottom response of the mic and my mic sounds much nicer with more bottom/body AND bottom reach (which is why I thought of it when reading Dr Bill's thought) in a way that it seems this thing could benefit from. Then trim the top a little for slightly less poke and the thing could be very nice indeed. Not that I thought it sounded crap now, but the top feels a touch strident and the body a bit seethrough. Bla bla bla.....

Hi Karloff,

The whole idea of this project was to optimize the 991/603 circuit. I have made some good improvements in the sound of this microphone. Since the clips were posted I have made some improvements in the circuit design can the capsule design. I incorporated some of the topology Neumann used in their circuit and their capsule that changed the top end considerably.

Some of the changes that I did to the capsule was to grind the front of the capsule flush with the recess in the capsule face. Michael does this on his capsule mod, he also rounds the edge of the capsule face to smooth that reflective surface. The thing that I do differently is to chamfer the front of the capsule similar to the KM84 and the capsule mod that Marik does. I also added a perforated metal disk (like the KM84 and the MK012 ) in front of the capsule to change the frequency response.

The overall mod sounds much better. I will post today.

I also may, in the future, build a transformer coupled SDC similar to the KM84.

The changes I made to the circuit? ....Shhhh......Hmmmm.... good. thumbsup
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Guru

Cool! Looking forward to hearing it!
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post

In fact, JJ sites Mark Fauxman (Marik) as the source for part his MK-319 mod. I'd humbly like to request you offer the same sort of source referencing when it clearly involves my own prior work. Leaving one bar in the center of the vent does not constitute novelty or remove an ethical obligation to acknowledge prior work.
Michael,

A few corrections, if I may. First, my name is spelled Fouxman, second, the word "sites" should be changed to "sited until recently". Somehow it seems for JJ Audio a couple months was enough to believe this is already their own mod (unless they came up with something completely new, I am unaware of), and even though in the article about that switch mod (which I posted here on Gearslutz) I specifically said there should be NO CHARGES for it, on the JJ Audio website they put the fee as $50. How nice of them!!!

On the other hand, I completely agree with your request about asking for reference to your mod. Indeed, even though there might be arguments that Neumann did it before (or even bring to the attention the lack of the vents, as in MXL991, with brass ring removed), you were the first, who started messing with the size of those vents, as applied to MXL603 and other Chinese mics, so that request does not seem unreasonable.

Personally, when I was doing the 603 mods I refused any of my clients requests to mess with the vents, as I believed this was "your baby", this was your work, and this was your intellectual property, as well as to show that there are actually quite a bit of other different ways to achieve similar result. But then it might be just me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat View Post

The thing that I do differently is to chamfer the front of the capsule similar to the KM84 and the capsule mod that Marik does.
Jim,

What capsule mod are you referring to? Did you find my 3-chamber capsule (design I was working for over a year full time) and copied all the dimensions?

Best,
Mark Fouxman
Samar Audio & Microphone Design
Old 23rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marik View Post
Michael,

A few corrections, if I may. First, my name is spelled Fouxman, second, the word "sites" should be changed to "sited until recently". Somehow it seems for JJ Audio a couple months was enough to believe this is already their own mod (unless they came up with something completely new, I am unaware of), and even though in the article about that switch mod (which I posted here on Gearslutz) I specifically said there should be NO CHARGES for it, on the JJ Audio website they put the fee as $50. How nice of them!!!

On the other hand, I completely agree with your request about asking for reference to your mod. Indeed, even though there might be arguments that Neumann did it before (or even bring to the attention the lack of the vents, as in MXL991, with brass ring removed), you were the first, who started messing with the size of those vents, as applied to MXL603 and other Chinese mics, so that request does not seem unreasonable.

Personally, when I was doing the 603 mods I refused any of my clients requests to mess with the vents, as I believed this was "your baby", this was your work, and this was your intellectual property, as well as to show that there are actually quite a bit of other different ways to achieve similar result. But then it might be just me...

Jim,

What capsule mod are you referring to? Did you find my 3-chamber capsule (design I was working for over a year full time) and copied all the dimensions?

Best,
Mark Fouxman

Hi Mark,

The $50.00 charge you are refering to is for the switch mod alone. As you can see it is included in the MK319 at no extra charge.
As you can see the prices for these mods are very reasonable and with the switch mod there is much more work involved.

Again thanks for the inspiration.

Prices from my web page:
MK 219 & 319
$125.00

MK 012
$75.00

Switch Mod (included in the MK319 mod)
$50.00

Mr Joly has made many strides in developing his own sound and has many wonderful mods. Making the vents larger is a mod that he has developed and I will give him credit for that inovation.
As for my mod on the 991, I am still testing the venting and may or may not enlarge the vents.

The capsule mod that I sited was milling down the face of the capsule and chamfering the edge of the capsule vs rounding the edge. I have not changed the baffels in the capsule.
Old 23rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Mark,

The $50.00 charge you are refering to is for the switch mod alone. As you can see it is included in the MK319 at no extra charge.
As you can see the prices for these mods are very reasonable and with the switch mod there is much more work involved.
Jim,

I am afraid you are missing the main point. It does not matter whether your pricing is reasonable or not, and it has nothing to do with how much work is involved.
The switch mod is MY intellectual property and you cannot make profit of what does not belong to you, so if you charge even $1... sure enough you know how it is called.

Once again, I very clearly stated in my original article "NOT TO CHARGE FOR THAT MOD", and also emphasized the need to site my work. While you originally did mention this was my mod, I am quite puzzled what made you remove that citation. I’d greatly appreciate if you could site my work, and also remove the charge for the switch.

Quote:

Mr Joly has made many strides in developing his own sound and has many wonderful mods. Making the vents larger is a mod that he has developed and I will give him credit for that inovation.
I think that would be fair.

Quote:
As for my mod on the 991, I am still testing the venting and may or may not enlarge the vents.
Sorry for confusion, here I meant a side addressed 990. The 991 is similar to 603.

Quote:
The capsule mod that I sited was milling down the face of the capsule and chamfering the edge of the capsule vs rounding the edge. I have not changed the baffels in the capsule.
The essence of my MXL603 capsule mod was converting the capsule into 3-chambered design. While indeed, I did shaved the front of the capsule, as well as used different shape of the grill mesh of much more rigid material, those were very secondary factors and affected the sound very little and were rather final touches (you can make a search for my further discussion with Michael Joly on that matter). As such, I’d appreciate if you did not refer to those minor changes as my mod, as that would misrepresent the essence of what my 603 capsule mod was.

Best, Mark Fouxman
Old 23rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jim,

I am afraid you are missing the main point. It does not matter whether your pricing is reasonable or not, and it has nothing to do with how much work is involved.
The switch mod is MY intellectual property and you cannot make profit of what does not belong to you, so if you charge even $1... sure enough you know how it is called.

Once again, I very clearly stated in my original article "NOT TO CHARGE FOR THAT MOD", and also emphasized the need to site my work. While you originally did mention this was my mod, I am quite puzzled what made you remove that citation. I’d greatly appreciate if you could site my work, and also remove the charge for the switch.

I think that would be fair.

Sorry for confusion, here I meant a side addressed 990. The 991 is similar to 603.

The essence of my MXL603 capsule mod was converting the capsule into 3-chambered design. While indeed, I did shaved the front of the capsule, as well as used different shape of the grill mesh of much more rigid material, those were very secondary factors and affected the sound very little and were rather final touches (you can make a search for my further discussion with Michael Joly on that matter). As such, I’d appreciate if you did not refer to those minor changes as my mod, as that would misrepresent the essence of what my 603 capsule mod was.

Best, Mark Fouxman

Hi Mark,

I have not intended to make the switch mod a separate mod. I was offering that service to people that may have had the switches disabled and wanted to have them work again. I have not had anyone do the mod so there was no money made for that option. I will remove that option from the web site this weekend.

The web site does not have you credited for the switch mod concept and I did not realize it was omitted. That also will be changed.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Mark,

I have not intended to make the switch mod a separate mod. I was offering that service to people that may have had the switches disabled and wanted to have them work again. I have not had anyone do the mod so there was no money made for that option. I will remove that option from the web site this weekend.

The web site does not have you credited for the switch mod concept and I did not realize it was omitted. That also will be changed.
Well Jim, it obviously did not happen over weekend...

Also, I emailed you about a week ago about the transformers I sent you four months ago (!!!) for which I never received payment. I did not receive my transformers back, either. I mentioned very poor and unreliable communication of your sales person—Langston, asking for you to personally take care of the transformers ASAP.

It is quite surprising to see that you are leaving all those things without any attention, or even courtesy of response. I feel myself put in quite a strange position, when I have to run after you, asking for such obvious things. Is it how your company functions?
I am sorry to tell, but putting all these bits together one can clearly see a certain trend here.

Thanks for your prompt attention to those matters,

Mark Fouxman
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Mark,

I just retrieved your email, among others, from my spam folder. The web site is sending my mail to my spam box.

The trasformers will be shipped back to you and the web page changed shortly.

Sorry about the delay
Old 28th April 2010
This kind of is how the company functions, babe....
Old 29th April 2010
Lives for gear

In all fairness, Jim (JJ) is participating in open forum discussion of his products with transparency. I would think that any other company would not address any of these issues with a public response.

Jim's a good dude, as is Langston. I trust you'll be credited and your transformers will be returned.
Old 29th April 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

And in all fairness to us, we made many efforts to test the samples we were sent by Samar Audio.

Those samples were used in the Studio E shootout and are plainly seen on the fan video by Philly Slick, when they do the close up of the JJ Audio Mics Husky.

However given the fact that we had not yet released any mics that would be able to accomodate the large ginourmous size of Marik's beautifully designed torroidal transformers, they sat waiting for another test platform. We had only tested them in a few microphones and spent plenty of time looking them over and evaluating them.

They are very consistent and lush sounding, however for reasons that I will not air here publicly, they simply would not fit our business model.

I directly communicated with Marik regarding his transformer samples, I do not share an email account with Jim, so I only can say that we are publicly sorry for any delays caused by lost emails (which wound up in the spam account).

However Samar Audio is among quite a few companies that we have free samples from and they have all waited eagerly to hear our remarks/comments as well.

Marik is a stand up guy and we also try our best to keep lines of communication open with manufacturers and customers.

I only will present the concluding remarks here that so far we have not sold any "switch mods," to customers and that we will not be fixing any dead/disabled MK319 switches on customers mics for free.

Whomever has broken/disabled these switches can repair them for free, but JJ Audio Mics is a professional company with standards

We can either stop advertising the switch mod and therefore remove any credits owed to you.

Or we can all come to an agreement here and let bygones be bygones.

The switch mod is completely useful for the Oktava community and seeing as how we actually had to do our share of engineering ourselves (with your public help, along with other sources from the web) to get those switches to work properly, I fail to see why we don't deserve any credit. You said that as long its not done for profit then it can be used; it was incorporated into our mods and the price hasn't made any significant increase since we added it. Our mod is still very affordable in contrast to other offerings and we added your switch mod with no increase in price to the mk319 mod that we already do.

The 50 dollar charge (1 hour of labor) was simply for people who wanted to get their switches resurrected. However that has rubbed people the wrong way and so it was removed.

Again I am sorry this experience has left you feeling this way.

Sincerely,
Langston Masingale
Sales and Customer Support
JJ Audio Mics, USA

Peace
Illumination
Old 29th April 2010
Langston... you probably remember our conversation yesterday morning....

You were calling to tell me about the exciting new Pro VLA Mod you guys are working up. Which sounds very awesome and cool... and so eventually the topic of why Jim doesn't respond to the PMs I sent about how he's coming with the mods to the two MXL V57M's I send him in March...

And I had conjectured that perhaps some evil force had hacked his account and deleted the PM's-- surely the most logical explanation I could come up with-- and you said, "Naw, he's just being a jerk and ignoring you."

And I thought-- "Wow. That is SO STUPID! That's like, the high-speed rail to Stupid City!"

Which struck me as a funny line. I'll have to use that, sometime.
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
And in all fairness to us, we made many efforts to test the samples we were sent by Samar Audio.

Those samples were used in the Studio E shootout and are plainly seen on the fan video by Philly Slick, when they do the close up of the JJ Audio Mics Husky.
Langston,

First, I have no idea why you needed to put in bold the word “samples” a few times. Those are actually not samples, but rather prototypes. In any case, I appreciate and would like to thank you for your efforts.

Quote:
so I only can say that we are publicly sorry for any delays caused by lost emails (which wound up in the spam account).
It seems there was only one alleged lost email and it was from last week. We are talking about muuuuuch longer than that.

Quote:
However Samar Audio is among quite a few companies that we have free samples from and they have all waited eagerly to hear our remarks/comments as well.
I am puzzled to read this passage, as when we talked last that was you, who actually were complaining that companies require prototyping fees, which BTW, is a normal procedure for MOST of the companies… I was nice enough not to charge the prototype fees, but as I have already mentioned, the transformers I sent you by no means were (as you trying to put it) "free samples"--that was the arrangement we made from the very beginning, and I am surprised as for why would you change your story here.

Also, in four months I was never given more or less detailed remarks/comments… but at this point, the only part I am “eagerly waiting” is to get back my transformers in original condition, with uncut wires—exactly as we talked. And the reason being, I have some other companies waiting for them, and the torroidal transformer winders are a HUGE pain in the arse to set up. Since at the moment I am finishing up my dissertation and don’t have ANY time to deal with all of that, and since over a month ago you reported you don’t need them anymore, I asked you to send them ASAP, as any delays can cost me a good chunk of business…

Quote:
I only will present the concluding remarks here that so far we have not sold any "switch mods," to customers and that we will not be fixing any dead/disabled MK319 switches on customers mics for free.

Whomever has broken/disabled these switches can repair them for free, but JJ Audio Mics is a professional company with standards

We can either stop advertising the switch mod and therefore remove any credits owed to you.

Or we can all come to an agreement here and let bygones be bygones.

The switch mod is completely useful for the Oktava community and seeing as how we actually had to do our share of engineering ourselves (with your public help, along with other sources from the web) to get those switches to work properly, I fail to see why we don't deserve any credit. You said that as long its not done for profit then it can be used; it was incorporated into our mods and the price hasn't made any significant increase since we added it. Our mod is still very affordable in contrast to other offerings and we added your switch mod with no increase in price to the mk319 mod that we already do.

The 50 dollar charge (1 hour of labor) was simply for people who wanted to get their switches resurrected. However that has rubbed people the wrong way and so it was removed.

Again I am sorry this experience has left you feeling this way.
Sorry, this part left me completely lost, and wondering…
Moreover, I have very hard time of understanding, or following your logic.

To make it clear, when I was publishing that switch mod I was very specific about the terms. Please tell me, which part of those is unclear.

If you “will not be fixing any dead/disabled MK319 switches on customers mics for free”, by all means, please don’t!

If you are “a professional company with standards” then by all means, please follow you standards—you don’t have to make that switch mod, to start with.

What is the “share of engineering” you are talking about? Finding -10dB point of gain reduction of resistive divider, or calculating corner frequency of capacitor from the known values? Com’on!!! By all means, take that well deserved credit!!!

When you say “it was incorporated into our mods and the price hasn't made any significant increase since we added it”, does it mean that the price actually was increased, when in fact, I was very specific from the very beginning that it “SHOULD NOT INCREASE”???

If you want to “stop advertising the switch mod and therefore remove any credits owed to” me then by all means stop advertising… I don’t care… really! But on the other hand, if you do advertise, then please, just give a proper credit--that's all!

Care to elaborate what do you mean by “Or we can all come to an agreement here and let bygones be bygones”? We have already made an agreement (which BTW, you solicited yourself). Right now you completely changed it on your own terms and conditions—as you implied, you raised the price, you charge for the switch as a separate mod, you removed all the credits!

And I have to be frank, this part is very troublesome for me—you don’t follow through, you don’t keep your word, you keep changing things on your own terms at your convenience. To be honest, I cannot say I like it.

Mark Fouxman
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

Excuse my use of the word significant.

The mod is 125 for the whole shebang and has been advertised for that amount (as early as 2009) well before we incorporated the switch modification and still is the same amount.

So a 0% price increase is what I mean.

Your transformers are being returned to you.

We are sorry we took so long with them.

Good luck with your PhD. My dad got his in Inorganic Chemistry and it was very stressful for him. Borderline bats in the belfry.

Peace
Illumination
Old 1st May 2010
Gear Nut

Hey guys, I'm just a fella who loves making music... I'm not a complete gear nut (or slut) but I get excited when I hear about cool creative and good sounding alternatives to the microphone big boys.

However, I have to tell you, whether it makes a difference or not, the kind of pissy banter that has been going on in this thread is a real turn off. It's unprofessional and just has to be bad for business, any way you look at it. Maybe I am misunderstanding the purpose of this forum altogether but I can't help but think that the intent here was to provide a space for healthy and positive discussion that ultimately pushes all of our interests forward and allows us to learn from one another. I came to this thread because I've been interested in options for upgrading my MXL 603s but I am left wanting to ditch it and rent something good for sessions until I can save up for a Gefell, ha.

It kind of reminds me of how I used to love going to indie coffee shops but, now, I just don't mind paying an extra dollar at Peets or Starbucks if I know I'll get something decent, consistent and I don't have to listen to a bitter twenty-something tell me how crappy their day is going or how I am "wrong" for liking dark roast. Professionalism, discretion and good business goes a long long way.

So should I sell that 603s or what?
Old 2nd May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixlrose View Post
... Professionalism, discretion and good business goes a long long way....
Okay-- time out for a little brutal honesty. Cruel & sadistic honesty if you will.

Have you ever had an experience that changed your life? Like, today you live in a different world than you did yesterday?

This happened to me when I got my modded MXL V57M's back from JJ Audio. I used them for a piano concert tonight, on a Steinway grand, where I usually have two Sputniks and two Earthworks. Long story severely abbreviated: after a little juggling with the placement, I am satisfied I don't need those others in the future. Sounds like science fiction, I know-- sounds preposterous! Preposterous and post-posterous! (I'll be threading a review in about a month with samples of this show, and a whole variety of other genres I'm lining up: guitar folk pop, orchestra with strings, madrigal singers, all the different acts I have booked for the next month.) I can barely believe it myself! If I didn't recognize the basic shape of the mic body, I would swear I got back TOTALLY different mics-- like, whatever a cross between a Sputnik and a QTC-30 would be.

So, this is all leading up to what I want to say: if "professionalism" and "doting concern" and "by the book rigorously enforced thank-you notes" are a huge priority for you-- you are going to miss out on an amazing opportunity and you will regret it. I guarantee that. So... maybe these guys fall on the geeky side of the volleyball net-- maybe there's a little absent-minded mad scientist thing going on-- not even "maybe," how about "sure bet."

Whatever risk you take by dealing with them, you'll be richly rewarded in ways you can't even imagine.

That's as starkly as I can put it-- of course, it's up to you run your life how you want to.
Old 3rd May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Whatever risk you take by dealing with them, you'll be richly rewarded in ways you can't even imagine.
I hear ya Joel. Jim is almost finished (I think?) with a mic I sent him a little while ago and I'm pretty confident that it is going to rule!

Every interaction I've had with JJ and Joly, so far, has been extremely helpful and professional. I guess it was the chest puffing that was bugging me yesterday. Maybe I'm just a sensitive fella, haha.

Getting back on track... Anyone know which Telefunken model these are? The venting looks a lot like Michael's MXL mod. I also noticed that the vents on the milkbone look a lot like the Gefell M300. Hm.

Edit: Ahhh I did some searching and found out these are M280s, same mic as a MK84 but with different vents. Wee!

Last edited by mixlrose; 3rd May 2010 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: M280!
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixlrose View Post

Professionalism, discretion and good business goes a long long way.
Absolutely agree!!! Thank you for reminding me such simple, but clear and concise basics of business. In fact, looking back, I should've followed private advices from my fellow modders and not post details on the mods in public at all. If I were smart and listened to them I would not end up in all that ****... In any case, no more "mod" details on internet!!!

Also, of course, from now on, all my transactions and prototyping fees are going to be prepaid. Indeed, that would be the only way not to be forced into such low tricks as to go public in order to get my **** back from some individuals. If I were smart enough and remembered that, I would not end up looking like a bad guy...

Thanks for reminding me those simple rules of professional, discrete, and good business!!!

Best, M
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
If I were smart enough and remembered that, I would not end up looking like a bad guy...

Best, M
Just to say that from here you never did look anything like that FWIW. Just looks like the guy who most likely knows more than most about modding mics on the net, maybe bar Gus, and who always has worded any gripe with professional restraint from what I've seen.......
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Just to say that from here you never did look anything like that FWIW. Just looks like the guy who most likely knows more than most about modding mics on the net, maybe bar Gus, and who always has worded any gripe with professional restraint from what I've seen.......
I find these types of public arguments make EVERYONE look like the bad guy, including me for even pointing that fact out. It shows a lack of professionalism - Marik looks like an ass for bringing this into a public forum, JJ looks like asses for not being more organized and on top of this stuff.

Reality check: This is what happens with companies constantly. An order doesn't get filled - a legality is missed or neglected. People have to call each other and email and even sometimes go as far as to start suing each other and all that bull crap. Once you start making and selling products this stuff starts getting complicated.

Further reality check: Marik is simply frustrated that his payment was overdue and his work in the field wasn't being properly credited. Totally understandable. Jim and Langston are basically running a manufacturing and distributing company by themselves. That's a lot of work. Mistakes will be made - and as long as they are corrected, that's also understandable.

So - issue put to rest. Let's get back to listening to microphones.
Old 22nd November 2016
Gear Guru

I just wanted to say I thought both mics sounded pretty great, and very similar. Does JJ still offer this mod?

I just did my own based on internet research, and they were just transformed like joelpatterson said.

I started with some 991s, added a paper in oil cap between the capsule and FET, and my two film cap subs for the 220n ceramics were 680n film types, the biggest I could fit out of what I had in stock.

Modifying the shape of the capsule for acoustics gave a profound difference. I did not find it necessary to enlarge the vents on my mics.

I would recommend this project to anyone willing or curious to do so, it really paid off for me. Right now they are living in XY over my drum kit.

Next up is the classic Apex 205 ribbon mods I am finally going to get around to. Maybe even a second pair of MXLs for good measure.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search