The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Portico 5012 vs. Great River MP-2NV Shootout
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocrat View Post
Yeah, for me it's a toss up between the Portico and GR. I prefer the Portico on vocals, but the GR is so versatile with the loading and impedance switching.

Anyone do a comparison between these and Vintech?
The Portico is great on vox. Silky

[QUOTE=billyindonesia;ztefxt AD16-x sounds Amazing !!
if only you change the mic and the oodewqpreamp
lets say U67 and tteyifynteffxv 1084 ..lol..[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoote View Post
Wow, I remember listening to these files back in the day when this thread was new. I still appreciate the files and the song.

I can really hear the difference between these preamps, but it really does seem to be different strokes for different folks. In fact, I think this time around I picked differently, mainly because I'm in the middle of seeking a slightly different sound for a slightly different situation.

What makes gearslutz great is that there is so much good gear, that it becomes preference. It's like being at a great restaurant and having a fantastic choice of appetizers, salads, main courses, and desserts. They are all good, and on some days you hanker for one or the other.

Sent from my M860 using Gearslutz App
Old 20th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
(sorry thread resurrection)-I felt like the GR sounded like it had a hi pass filter on.. otherwise very similar.. I don't see why you couldn't get identical Sounds using hi pass filter on the Portico.. but with the great River since you're not getting that low end you're just not getting it- I picked the warmth of the portico for vocals definitely
Old 24th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
(sorry thread resurrection)-I felt like the GR sounded like it had a hi pass filter on.. otherwise very similar.. I don't see why you couldn't get identical Sounds using hi pass filter on the Portico.. but with the great River since you're not getting that low end you're just not getting it- I picked the warmth of the portico for vocals definitely
I agree, the Portico sounded more full bodied and balanced - just a higher fidelity sound to me. Actually quite a pleasant sound.
Old 24th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I wound up buying a GR anyway ..and wow its awesome!...so now I have both flavors ..and I just got my RND5032 fixed/overhauled ..very very fair prices and done fast by RND..!!
Old 6th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
I agree the Portico is excellent. But it sounds like maybe you didn't push the input on the Great River enough. IME the bass frequencies get quite thick when pushed.
Old 6th May 2014
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
It seems the Portico has more character and the GR clearer and a little bigger. Many seem to prefer the character sound over the clearer sound.
Old 16th October 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The GR compared to the Portico sounds similar, but definitely thinner and more mid focused...but it also sounds like it has more detail. The acoustic clip with GR had more balance between the lows and highs, and had a bit more attack.

That being said, the stereo image of the Portico does seem wider, because it has a more extended low end response. But, apparently that's what Dan was going for...a more stackable 1073 with less mud in the low end.

Though I've never used a GR personally and also thought it sounded a bit thin and harsh on vocals in these examples and others I've heard, that changed when I heard vocals tracked through one in a busy mix...WOW! It was incredible, that Neve sound, and it cut through the mix perfectly, without being harsh at all. I still think the MA5 is better, but it works nicely.

Now with me liking the Neve style the best (especially recording digital), I'm considering selling my Portico and A2D and just having a couple MP2NVs...damn this thread!

Last edited by PsilohsaiBiN; 16th October 2014 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: grammar ****
Old 26th November 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Clouds View Post
I'm glad I listened to this cause it just reconfirms my original opinion that the GR sounds terrible on vocals. I had one, then bought a A Designs P1. Sold the GR right away! The great rivers are cool on guitars but for me just blow on vocals, too mid, grating, strident for my taste.
Funny, cause I think the exact opposite. Except, I don't think either preamp you mentioned ever sounds "terrible." I just like the Neve style for vocals and the P1/Pacifica's mid scoop doesn't push it to the forefront like an MA5 or NV series will.

The P1 DI with the pad in on the other hand...is probably the best I have ever heard.

Something you might have missed on the GR is that you need to push the loading button in to get a flatter sound that doesn't sound "too mid, grating, strident" as you said. With the loading button out, you will kind of get that, but sometimes it's a desired effect. I personally think it would've made more sense for them to reverse that loading button implementation, but that's the way it is.
Old 28th November 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsilohsaiBiN View Post
Funny, cause I think the exact opposite. Except, I don't think either preamp you mentioned ever sounds "terrible." I just like the Neve style for vocals and the P1/Pacifica's mid scoop doesn't push it to the forefront like an MA5 or NV series will.

The P1 DI with the pad in on the other hand...is probably the best I have ever heard.

Something you might have missed on the GR is that you need to push the loading button in to get a flatter sound that doesn't sound "too mid, grating, strident" as you said. With the loading button out, you will kind of get that, but sometimes it's a desired effect. I personally think it would've made more sense for them to reverse that loading button implementation, but that's the way it is.

I don't have it anymore but I'm pretty sure I messed around with all the options like loading on the GR. I guess I just wasn't feeling it for whatever reason. But boy are you right about the P1 being one of the best. Since then I've owned a Hardy and a couple other biggies and still, the P1 takes the cake. I don't have it anymore but i'm surely looking to get back into one or a Pacifica as soon as i can.

By The Way GAA (gear awareness alert)
I recently needed a pre on the cheap and I ended up picking up a Danfield MX20vpr. This guy actually sounds REALLY good. On the clean side with lots of options. For a mere 300.00 brand new it's a steal. Alto Music.

Gary Noble Show: Danfield Audio mx20vpr 500 series Mic Pre

peace
πŸ“ Reply