The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Whats wrong with you ? My Converter Shoot Out !
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Nut

Whats wrong with you ? My Converter Shoot Out !

Hey,

sorry for my english

after reading tons of converter threads here , i done my first big converter shoot out in my studio today and ask myself, what is wrong with your ears ?

the summaries of threads are :

auroras are well balanced, very smooth with a 3 D Sound

ssl : a little more colored than auroras but enjoy to listen to.

myteks 192: very clean, but some says cold. a little thin in bass and a little too much highs.

fireface: no comment :-)

my listing setup :

PC to fireface -> spdif -> Converter -> pasive Monitor Controler -> Klein Hummel O300 .

Software : Sampitude 9

Studio: with basstraps and diffusors.

i listen to different styles of music 60`s 70`s 80`s 90`s ...... and my result is:

The only D-A Converter with no Colour is the mytek.

All other converters have too much colour.

The worst is the fireface, then ssl then aurora.

for sure the aurora are very smooth ... but the aurora colours the sound in the 300 hz range. for my feeling they makes the music equal.
The aurors sound like, that aLL bands done their music on the same mixing console.

the ssl sounds a little boxy in the mids with better high mids (seperation) like the fireface.
All Converters have a big improvement by mytek clocking. but the basic sound off the other converters is steady.

So i Don`t understand why so many people here like the auroras and other people
don`t like the myteks ?

The myteks 8x192 are the first conversters, which i can`t hear

It is a pleasure to mix on them. For my feeling i don`t need my analog summing anymore.

i had no clue that the converter differents are so huge and i understand my
mixing - psychosis on my fireface converter. when you can`t hear it, you can`t mix it .

i love them and have to buy them.

cheers

Marc

Last edited by Mixary; 10th November 2009 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixary View Post
Hey,

myteks 192: very clean, but some says cold. a little thin in bass and a little too much highs.

The only D-A Converter with no Colour is the mytek.

Marc
But what you're describing of the mytec is just that : Color.
Bit of a contradiction me thinks.

All of the converters you listed are good. It's just personal (or in my case functional. need auroras for PTHD) preferences.

There's nothing wrong with anyone's ears.

Great thread. dfegad
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
But what you're describing of the mytec is just that : Color.
Bit of a contradiction me thinks.

All of the converters you listed are good. It's just personal (or in my case functional. need auroras for PTHD) preferences.

There's nothing wrong with anyone's ears.

Great thread. dfegad

"myteks 192: very clean, but some says cold. a little thin in bass and a little too much highs."
No that are views from other threads, i read here.

as i said , for my feeling the myteks have no colour. and converter colour is personal ? when i need colour i use my anamod or great river or api 2500 or 1073 or what ever but i need no converter colour thats for sure.

i have not tested other high end converter like prism .....

try before cry ...

cheers

Last edited by Mixary; 10th November 2009 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Guru

saying a piece of gear has no color is like saying someone speaks with 'no accent'
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
saying a piece of gear has no color is like saying someone speaks with 'no accent'
He's absolutely right though. Whether it technically has color or not, what Mytek provides to the audio world is exactly that....the closest thing to a straight wire. That actually happens to be what Mytek advertises, so he's dead on.

I love my Aurora16's clocked to my Microclock II...insane setup with a Dangerous 2bus running the mix through some dual 72's. Amazing!!
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixary View Post
This is how I would describe the DAC sound of the Tascam DV-RA1000HD, and I understand they use the same chipset.

I would also say that for less-colored conversion with tons of real detail, the Tascam DAC is tremendous. I currently monitor Dangerous for convenience, but I was monitoring out Tascam a month ago and I master out the Tascam. I mix through 2192.

I wouldn't buy more high-end conversion right now without evaluating the Myteks in person. If they are 8 channels of the Tascam alone it would be worth it for me.

Price no object I would try em all!
Old 10th November 2009
Altough never tried any other high end converters than the SSL MADI AX I own, I must say:

white is also a color!

By that I mean, if color is a variation of a sound, everything colors.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

totally agree with the OP on the mytek. i havent tried the others mentioned but the myteks are great. after reading all these "mytek is bright" nonsense posts lately i did my own test yesterday. just plugged he mytek input directly into its output and re-recorded a beatles song. no coloration whatsover. i dont understand what some people are talking here. to my ears the myteks are transparent. im happy to post the files.
Old 10th November 2009
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
He's absolutely right though. Whether it technically has color or not, what Mytek provides to the audio world is exactly that....the closest thing to a straight wire. That actually happens to be what Mytek advertises, so he's dead on.
When ever I read threads like this I'm always curious if anyone has tried the Crane Song LTD. stuff? or the iZ stuff?... or Prism? or Grimm? or _____? or _____?

I wonder about perspective and how advertising and "rumor facts" [like some of the "bordering on religious fervor" statements taken as Gospel truth on this and other forums which have little basis in reality other than having been said a couple of thousand times] affect the statement process.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Player1

Does any of this really matter? If the color of one thing or another is in fact part of the end product and you satisfied with that product who cares. I would spend a lot more time on performance value and track tone then worrying about what color my converters are.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post

I wonder about perspective and how advertising and "rumor facts" [like some of the "bordering on religious fervor" statements taken as Gospel truth on this and other forums which have little basis in reality other than having been said a couple of thousand times] affect the statement process.
fortunately this effect is confined to the world of audio forums...

imagine if this spread to politics, science, medicine, celebrity gossip and conspiracy theories!
Old 10th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragletrollet View Post
white is also a color!
Ummm...I think that technically, white and black are categorized as tints, not colours.

But since this is GS, and since this is "High End", and since people here discuss things of this nature, to answer another post, yes, it does matter. We're talking about converters here. Perhaps colour is the wrong word, but I want to find transparent converters.

That means, the analog source sounds identical to the digital sample.

I think that sometimes the Gearheads here get a little too smart for their own good, and begin analyzing things to the point where there's no possible solution; therefore discussing it, in their mind, is pointless.

For example, "What is the best mic pre...ever?" One could argue, "For which mic", or "which genre", blah blah blah.
Maybe the OP just wants opinions on people's favourite pre.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Nut

Hey,

for sure there are tons off other highend converter, like hedd, prsim, lavry, dad ....,

and the mytek is the only and first highend converter, which i listen to.

i have to say, here in europe are different price ranges like in the us.

and the mytek seems to be the best deal for the bucks.

I can imagine, that the mytek will also have a light coloration.

the problems of audio - experiences are: you have to listen and compare different
sources to understand what the different is and how the differents will change your
workflow and your life.

i don`t want to malign the other converter, which i listen to.

for sure the auroras are fine converters to listen to, but i know their limitation now.

i love pea soup, but i don`t want to eat it every day.

the second reason, why i will buy these babies is :

the myteks are the first converter, which give me the illusion, that the recorded artist
stand close beside me.

i don`t know the technical background of these technical phenomenon.

it isn`t a single problem like frequ. response or the clock of converter.

it seems to be more technical phenomenons, which come together.

You should give highend converters a try to understand what i mean.

Cheers

Marc

Cheers

Marc
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
When ever I read threads like this I'm always curious if anyone has tried the Crane Song LTD. stuff? or the iZ stuff?... or Prism? or Grimm? or _____? or _____?

oh, the irony here is dripping

unfortunately for most of us there are limited ops to actual critically listen to and A/B gear to make our decisions....so we do the best we can and have to put our knee boots on to wade through the discussions accordingly.... Hey, thats what gear shoots are for though...and I have a better idea of where my next $5K spent on a converter is going because of it.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear