The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gefell UM70 vs Neumann U87 Condenser Microphones
Old 1st October 2009
Gear maniac

Gefell UM70 vs Neumann U87

Posting 2 files both recorded into an API with no compression.
Attached Files

Gefell UM70 - API (no comp).mp3 (353.8 KB, 24808 views)

U87 - API (no comp).mp3 (350.6 KB, 22650 views)

Old 1st October 2009
Lives for gear

Which one do you prefer?

For this particular voice I like the pronounced low-mids of U87, but I would probably EQ them out in the mix anyway - so I guess UM70 sounds like the "processed" vocal I would put in the mix...

But for spoken word, minimalist arranged ballads I would like one U87 around I guess.

What's that - more proximity effect on U87 or what?

I own UM70, so I'm a little biased.
Old 1st October 2009
Gear maniac

I too love the low mids of the U87 and after listening to it, going back to the Gefell makes it sound thin, but in the context of a mix the Gefell sits beautifully with no need for eq at all.
Old 1st October 2009
Lives for gear

I have one of each of these mics, and I love them both.

In these two examples, I have to lean toward the UM70. Sounds much more dimensional to me.

All of that, of course, could change completely when put in a mix context.

They sound great, though!

Cheers.

Old 1st October 2009
Gear maniac

I've had the Gefell for a while and at first couldn't get used to it (had been using a 414B-XL11 which made it sound much thinner) but after a while I realized it was quite a beautiful sound, very smooth. I have only just got the U87 which is very dark sounding but I think music is all about how you use your tools. As you rightly say, hearing something isolated is one thing, in a mix quite another. It's nice to have them both.
Old 1st October 2009
Pat
Gear Addict

Gefell
Old 19th October 2009
Gear Head

Think the Gefell is nice.

Voice is very clean and compact.

Nice mic!
Old 19th October 2009
The U87 sounds very good, but the Gefell sounds great.

Which model is that Gefell, exactly? (Looks like they made the UMT70S now, which may or not be the same mic as your UM70...)
Old 20th October 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace View Post
The U87 sounds very good, but the Gefell sounds great.

Which model is that Gefell, exactly? (Looks like they made the UMT70S now, which may or not be the same mic as your UM70...)
UM70 is an older mic and has a transformer. The "U" designates multipattern. THe UM70 has Cardiod, Fig-8 and Omni patterns.

The UMT70 is multipattern as well, BUT it is TRANSFORMER-LESS. Similar, but definately NOT the same mic.

There are conflicting reports that you might still be able to buy a 692 preamp body and UM70 head, (yeilding a UM70) but I have not confirmed this.
Old 20th October 2009
Gear Nut

Gefell
Old 20th October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
UM70 is an older mic and has a transformer. The "U" designates multipattern. THe UM70 has Cardiod, Fig-8 and Omni patterns.

The UMT70 is multipattern as well, BUT it is TRANSFORMER-LESS. Similar, but definately NOT the same mic.

There are conflicting reports that you might still be able to buy a 692 preamp body and UM70 head, (yeilding a UM70) but I have not confirmed this.
Thanks for the lesson. Gotta love "T" for "transformerless". Doh!

I used a Gefell mic about 5-6 years ago that I recall as an "M71" --- of course it might have been a UM71 (or something more complicated than that). From looking at their current nomenclature I'm guessing this was a Cardioid-only mic, perhaps a Cardioid-only UM70?
Old 20th October 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace View Post

perhaps a Cardioid-only UM70?
That is exactly right. Not to be confused with an M70 though which is a SD cardiod condenser.... heh heh

The UM70 is multi pattern LDC.
The M71 and M71S is card only LDC. (Available with removable head or as a one piece as if things weren't confusing enough....)
The M70 is a card nickel Small Diaphram capsule that fits on the same preamp body (692, 691, etc.) as the UM70.

Confused yet?

LOL There will be a test.

I've got all of them, and although the nomenclature is confusing, they are ALL phenomenal mics!! thumbsup Perhaps the M71S is my fave.
Old 21st October 2009
Gear maniac

The one I have and used is the UM70 which has the transformer. Thanks for your interest I love both mics. The UM70 sits perfectly for my voice with no eq necessary at all. The only thing with it is that you have to be careful with proximity if you are blasting as it is very sensitive.

I may post 2 mixes done with acoustic gtr and vocal. Same song. It's quite amazing how the human ear gets used to something. If I go straight for the Gefell I think "perfect" then if I hear the 87 you hear that low end and, in comparison, think "ah the Gefell lacks" which, of course, is not true, as when you hear a full recording it sits perfectly.
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
Which one do you prefer?
Gefell.
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

I love the tiny bit of "growl" I hear on the UM70 when you sing the word "there's a pretty girl"

The U87 bottom is nice, but I would miss that bit of detail in the mids.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

I like the Gefell. It is on my short list.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

u87 on this one
Old 5th December 2011
Gear Head

+1 on the Gefell. Something is more pleasing about it's sound.
Both are nice by the way.
Old 13th February 2012
Gear Addict
To my ears the UM70 sounds quite a bit more detailed.

Tony
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

u87 all the way, the other sounds thin and too much highs.
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Maniac

UM70 is definitely more charming.

U87 is too slow, too "processed", too much.

EDIT: in HD25 headphones
Old 24th March 2012
I'm quite late to the party, but I would choose the Gefell. In those samples it seems to sound like it probably fits the mix as is.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

old thread, but...what about the fact that this is obviously two different takes? ...and the 2nd that w/the u87 is off key? Ever comp vocals? Notice that each take can sound really different? I don't think these tests are worthwhile unless it's the same take with 2 mics up. Maybe his mouth was more open or closed etc etc etc...
Old 11th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk sanchez View Post
old thread, but...what about the fact that this is obviously two different takes? ...and the 2nd that w/the u87 is off key? Ever comp vocals? Notice that each take can sound really different? I don't think these tests are worthwhile unless it's the same take with 2 mics up. Maybe his mouth was more open or closed etc etc etc...
I totally agree. Two different takes. The take with the U87 was sloppy, while the gefell-take was more confident. I mean I'm on laptop-speakers so the only difference I could hear was the hugely different takes. As I'm in the market for a better vocal-mic I get a bit sceptical when I hear this test and see the results. Is it some gefell marketing-scheme or something??

Sorry to say, but this was a very bad test indeed.
Old 11th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vido View Post
Is it some gefell marketing-scheme or something??
HA!
serious!?

MG is a very established company, and well,
this is just a gearslutz example from a user.

Gefell does not even manufacture the microphone in question,
why would they be trying to market it?

Old 16th July 2013
Lives for gear

You wouldn't use the Gefell to record acoustic guitar then.
Sounds processed. I liked the Gefell better too.
Old 11th September 2013
Gear Addict

It's difficult to judge with two performances, as close as they are. An inch of distance or a few degrees different of an angle and the same mic could sound like two mics.

Of these two, I like the beefier girth of the Neumann better.
Old 9th October 2013
Lives for gear

Vote for Gefell!
Old 10th October 2013
Gefell. As only a VO artist, I am starting to question the U87 these days. It is very EQ-able, and definitely sounds "real" as if someone is standing right in front of you, but it also is beginning to sound cheap to me, especially for the price tag. The Gefell is pretty, and sounds ready to be popped in the mix as of yesterday.
Old 14th October 2013

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search