The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Three omni SDC paqirs on grand piano
Old 5th July 2016
Here for the gear

Wow I'm late joining the party!
#7 Sounds like a performance on a close-lidded piano. (Okatava?)
#8 , My preference. Sounds the way I imagine it would if I were playing, lid open, music stand removed. (Avenson?)
#9 is trying so hard to get me to like it (DPA?)

Any chance Key is still available?
Old 6th July 2016
Lives for gear

Yes the key is still available and was just send to you.
Old 12th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastienpeach View Post
Hi Didier, Thanks for the test. I like 7, 9, 8. Can you send me the key? Im thinking of getting the oktavas...
Thanks!
Me too. 8 seems aggressive to me in the upper mids, 9 is fine, 7 seems like the purest to me.

But, as a pianist, I have a hard time separating the mic from the performance

People talking about 8 noise, is that noise floor, or some kind of gritty thing on the loud passage at the end?

Anyway, every mic you've put on this piano sounds great, because that piano sounds great! Is that sparkly velvet pianissimo a German thing? I have a Schimmel 6-foot, and it has that same quality. Your tests have got me very excited to start recording with it--I haven't done any yet, because of raising small children here at the house.... I have a pair of oktava's too, and even if they are #8 , it will still be a good place to start.

Have you settled on a favorite mic'ing for this piano, with all the options you have available? Because your piano sounds more like mine than any of the pianos I record on in the studios around here (mostly Yamahas and Kawais, and a couple of Steinways) whose engineers I have been asking this question of.

cheers,
-e
Old 12th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodslanding View Post
Is that sparkly velvet pianissimo a German thing?
Yes, a Steingraeber 205.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodslanding View Post
Have you settled on a favorite mic'ing for this piano, with all the options you have available?
Small (< 20 cm) AB in the bow of the piano rim, just below the edge of the lid. In this test, small AB, beside the piano tail. I am recording at home. Hence the mics have to be closer than in a larger room. Then I prefer LDCs.
Old 12th November 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks. I like the intimacy of closer mic'ing myself.

When I worked with Todd Rundgren, he actually taped 2 pzms to the inside of the lid, and closed it! I thought it was a surprisingly nice sound..... and _very_ intimate.

But the engineer I work with most now likes U87s backed way off with the lid open. It sounds fine, especially on his yamaha, which I don't think I'd enjoy hearing up so close.

I have a friend bringing a selection of mics to try on my piano sometime in the next month, so I may be able to publish a shootout of my own.

thanks,
-eric
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Addict

7. Full Bodied, sound closer to the piano than 8 and 9.
8. Natural sounding (but too noisy!)
9. Little bright, but sounds more stereo to me.
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by guarneric View Post
Wow I'm late joining the party!
#7 Sounds like a performance on a close-lidded piano. (Okatava?)
#8 , My preference. Sounds the way I imagine it would if I were playing, lid open, music stand removed. (Avenson?)
#9 is trying so hard to get me to like it (DPA?)

Any chance Key is still available?
I agree with this evaluation. #8 is the winner if you want it to sound like you are sitting there. I think #7 might fit into mix's better if you were using a piano track with lots of other tracks.
Old 7th October 2017
Gear Nut

I prefer 8, 9, 7. I really had a tough time choosing between 8 and 9. PM the key please!
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Addict

Hi Didier, would love a PM. Thanks for the great test!
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Head

Dear Didier,

I liked #7 best. Then #9 and #8 .
Thanks in advance, if you can send me the PM
Old 8th July 2018
Here for the gear

Hi there! Thanks for your wonderful tests. I used to browse this forum for a long time, but this post actually got me to sign up to get the key. I hope that you are still here and will be able to respond with a PM!

My preference was 7 - 8 - 9, in that order.

I have been interested in the DPA 4006 mics for their neutrality, but currently I am looking for a more affordable omni pair, especially with good bass clarity. (If you have any other suggestions for such omnis as well, I would be appreciated for your expert tips)

Btw. I would suggest to make an evaluation of the public opinion of your tests. It is indeed interesting to know which mic was which, but it would also be interesting to know how the majority of the people reacted, i.e. how one own preference was similar or different to those of others. Maybe a poll could be set up?

Thanks again!
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eenimon View Post
I hope that you are still here and will be able to respond with a PM!
You have got a PM.
Old 9th July 2018
Here for the gear

9-8-7 for me.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

If forced to pick one, I would go with #8 , but I don’t really like close microphones on piano for classical music, so it is sort of a lesser of 3 evils choice... but thanks for posting these!
Old 26th October 2018
Gear Maniac

liked #8 better, sounded warmer.
than #7 , more crisp

i just purchased DPA 4060 core witch with a pair of CM3 and OM1, am doing a lot of tests with my Steinway O from 1908.
How old is your piano ? it sounds great !
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear

It is a Steingraeber 205, also from the beginning of the century... But the 21rst one.
I send you the key of this test by PM.
Please don't hesitate to share your own tests on Gearslutz.
Old 26th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
It is a Steingraeber 205, also from the beginning of the century... But the 21rst one.
OMG looks like a dream ! Must have an incredible dynamic and sound !

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
Please don't hesitate to share your own tests on Gearslutz.
I am thinking about it but I want to work on those mics placement a little more.

Last edited by flober1970; 27th October 2018 at 07:19 AM..
Old 24th December 2018
Lives for gear

Hi Didier,

I prefer 7 in this setup because of the fuller tone. 8 has a clean character of high quality. 9 is dissapointing. Please send me the key...
Old 23rd January 2019
Here for the gear

I like 8 best, please could you send me the key?
Thank you
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Curious to get the key for all 9 samples. I too leaned to 8 as my favoured. And probably 5 in the card category (though 8 still overall)
Old 4th September 2019
Here for the gear
Thanks so much for posting these (way back when).

My preferences are 8, 7, 9. Can't quite put my finger on why 8 stands out, seems more intimate, smooth.

I'm curious how the NT5 with omnis would've matched up here, as well as Line Audio OM1.

I personally love using SDC omnis; always find a good fit.
Old 4th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by area8 View Post
I'm curious how the NT5 with omnis would've matched up here
You might be interested in this test: three tracks from the same take comparing the Rode NT5 + NT45-O with two other omni SDCs: Okatava MK-012 and Neumann KM 133.
Old 4th September 2019
Here for the gear
Yes, I was interested. Thanks for the link, and your posts.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
As for these 3, my guesses:

7 - oktava
8 - avenson
9 - dpa

I preferred 9, myself.

Thanks, again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search