The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Three omni SDC paqirs on grand piano
Old 14th April 2011
Gear Addict

It could be ... Well thanks again for doing this.
btw, which ones do you prefer?
Old 14th April 2011
Lives for gear

I do not have definite preferences. I just listened to these tracks and the ones of the cardio SDC test again: I preferred the Schoeps, the DPA and the Audio-Technica, this latter one which I did not expect to select.
Old 20th April 2011
Here for the gear

I just found this addition to your original 6 sdc mic SO.

I like #7 best here for a warmth and clarity.

Please PM the test subjects.

Thank you again,
geoff
Old 24th April 2011
Gear Addict

7) sounded euphonic to me, larger than life.
8) sounded most "realistic" but lacked magic of 7. I can see how this might be better for certain applications.
9) blah too bright in upper registers

Can you send me the key please?
Also what mic preamp did you use for this?

Thanks so much for your good work.
Old 25th April 2011
Lives for gear

Key send.

The preamp is a Fearn VT-2.

YouTube - D.W. Fearn VT-2 Vacuum Tube Microphone Preamplifier
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear Maniac

I didn't really prefer any of the 3. They all have interesting qualities, but I tend to go for a larger sound when I record piano - usually with a pair of DPA 4006 into a Focusrite Red. Seeing the picture of your mic placement, I prefer to have them in front of the piano, not at the tail, or midway between the front and the tail. But then it depends of the piano, the room and the player. I also prefer to have the pair lower, between the edge of the board and the lid, not as far up.

But in no way is this a criticism of your sound! Just that there are so many choices available, there's no truth in recording except the truth you make for yourself... So thank you very much for the shootout - and I'll be listening to the other ones as well, and looking forward to the key!
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

I acknowledge that it may be not the best placement but I have used it for a long time for testing mics on this same nocturne, so I stick to it.
Old 4th May 2011
Gear Maniac

FYI, I just came back from helping set up the recording of the Queen Elisabeth Contest in Brussels (this year it's a singing contest) and the placement of the mic pair for the supporting piano was the same as yours, and it was the best sound we could achieve given the context.

So again, no criticism on my part about your work. And thanks again for the shootouts!
Old 19th October 2011
Gear Nut

absolutely amazing shootout!
I love all of them and could only point out the differences after listening to them for a bit, but I think that:

7 (my favorite) is the darkest, has a bit of a honky mid-range. The difference between 7 and 8&9 is greater than the difference between 8 and 9, but 9 is a little brighter.

From previous shootouts I heard between the STO-2s and the Oktavas I'm assuming 7 is the STO-2s, and from the FR charts (if u didn't use the extreme high frequency boost (grid?) on the DPA) I'm assuming 8 is the DPA and 9 is the Oktavas.

Then again, I listened on (great bang for buck) 50$ headphones straight from my noisy&non-transienty(?) macbook.

Can I get the key please? but not 1-6. I didn't listen to those yet.

Last edited by YTCrazyTieGuy; 19th October 2011 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear Maniac

I liked the tone of 8 the best, even if it was a bit noisy. Are you still sending the answers via pm on this old thread?
Thanks for doing this.
Old 3rd November 2011
spx
Here for the gear

key please, thanks!
Old 5th November 2011
Gear Nut

Hi Didier,

Thanks for this very interesting test. I prefer 8. For me, it has the fullest, roundest and richest tonality, although the other two also sound good. My guess is that they are the DPAs because they're relatively noisy.

I'm very interested in the key!

Best wishes,
Jan
Old 15th December 2011
Here for the gear

Loved the imaging on #8. Key please?
Old 22nd January 2012
Here for the gear

My order of preference is #7, #8, #9. #7 is a bit dark, but still has the most magic. All three are lovely.

Do you mind sending me the key please?

Fred
Old 12th February 2012
Here for the gear

I like #7 and #8. #7 is beautiful but a little bit distorted. #8 is very natural. #9 sounds a bit restrained. My guess : 7 could be Oktava, 8 Avenson and 9 DPA. Please Didier send me the key. François.
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

My preferences are as follows:

#8: DPA 4060 (most detailed)

#9: Avenson STO-2

#7: Oktava MK012 Omni (darkest)

May I get the key, please? Thank you.
Old 12th March 2012
Gear Nut

7 was maybe the nicest to listen to, but also seemed to be the lowest quality at the same time.

8 was a bit bright, especially after hearing 7. Can't tell how bright without knowing what the piano actually sounded like in the room. So not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

9 was in between the two I guess.

Key please!
Old 12th March 2012
Here for the gear
love number 9,
may I get the key please? thank you!
Old 13th March 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Here for the gear

I liked #7 and #8. #9 was too "ringy" to my ears and didn't sound as natural.

Please PM the key, Didier, and thank you!
Old 25th April 2012
I prefer 7 and 9 to 8 but I'm not sure which is which.

9 probably sounds best to me as 7 was a lot more forward sounding (almost unnaturally) but that's never a bad thing. 8 is lacking the low end of the others and obviously has more noise.

Results please?
Old 8th May 2012
Gear Nut

#7 for me.

7: DPA 4006: clean, focus, larger than life, always sounds mixed&mastered to me
8: Octava MK012: very thick and heavy/slow sounding. Works better on close sources. noisy
9: Avenson STO-2: kinda bright, too buoyant, noisy

can I have the key please? thanks!!!!
Old 13th May 2012
Gear Nut

7 less noise, midrange forward maybe a little too much slighty compressed sound
8 noise mmm more open nice high end more dynamic
9 midrange honky like more compressed? more lifeless? I dont know how write it

key?
Old 9th August 2012
Lives for gear

Interesting comparison, Didier. I'll guess that 7 is the Oktava, since it has the least self-noise.

Key requested.

Thanks and regards,
Old 27th August 2012
Here for the gear

which is which microphone

Thank you for posting these samples. To my ears, Sample 7 sounds more like a recording than both of samples 8 and 9. Samples 8 and 9 have an entirely different style of sound to Sample 7 so I conclude that Sample 7 is the more conventional omni capsule, i.e. that of the Oktava.

Sample 8 sounds by far the most realistic piano sound, with far more body and substance than sample 9. Sample 9 makes the grand piano sound more like an electronic piano as the sound is thinner. Based on this sample, I would not even consider buying this microphone. Sample 8 though is undermined by noise, which detracts rather from the otherwise rather good sound.

If we can go by specifications and all other factors are equal then Sample 8 is the Avenson Sto-2 (self-noise noise 28dB) and sample 9 the DPA 4060 (self noise 23dB). If it wasn't for the noise then I would have said that sample 8 was the DPA as I would have expected better sound from the DPA than from the Avenson.
Old 24th November 2012
Gear Nut

Slightly prefer 7, am considering the Oktavia M012 also. Can you send me the key please?

Nice piano!

Jerry
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice piano!
Indeed ! It is a Steingraeber 205.

My tests on Gearslutz:
Comparison of 6 cardio SDCs | Comparison of 3 omni SDCs | Brauner Valvet vs. Neumann M149 | Rode K2 - FLEA 49 - Brauner Valvet Oktava MK012 vs. Schoeps CMC6-MK21 & RME Fireface 400 vs. Steinberg MR816X | FLEA 49 - FLEA 50 - Brauner Valvet | Brauner Valvet vs. Manley Gold | DAV Electronics BG1 vs. Steinberg MR816X | Vovox vs. Cheap cable | Nevaton MC48 - AKG C414B-XLS - Audio-Technica AT4047 - Schoeps CMC6-MK21 | Audio-Technica AT 4047 and 4050 - AKG C414 Ltd | Schoeps MK21 vs Rode NT5 cardio and Rode NT5 omni | Superlux S502, Oktava MK-012, DPA 4021 | DPA4060 vs. DPA 4021 (inside the piano) | Neumann M149 vs. FLEA 49 and Manley Gold Reference | Line Audio Design CM3 vs. Schoeps MK 21 | Line Audio Design CM3, Josephson C42 , Schoeps MK 21 | Fireface 400, DAV BG1, Fearn VT-2 (Schoeps MK 21) | Fireface 400, DAV BG1, Fearn VT-2 (Beyer M130) | AKG C300B + Fearn VT-2 vs. Brauner Valvet + Fireface 400 | Rode NT5 - Oktava MK-012 - Line Audio CM3 - Schoeps MK 21 | Audio-Technica AT4041 - Oktava MK-012 - Line Audio CM3 - Schoeps MK21 | Sontronics Apollo - Schoeps MK21 - Beyerdynamic M 130 | Neumann M149 - Manley Reference Gold - Rode Classic II | Manley Reference Gold vs Rode Classic II DPA 4041 vs. Neumann KM 133 D Neumann KM 133 D vs. FLEA 50 Preamps: DAV -_Line Audio - RME - Little labs et al. Avenson STO-2 - DPA 4060 - Schoeps MK 21 Line Audio CM3 - Josephson C42 - Schoeps CMC 621 - DPA 4021 Manley Reference Gold in living room vs. famous DG recording in good hall Neumann KM 143 D vs Schoeps CMC6-MK21
Old 25th November 2012
Gear Nut

[QUOTE=didier.brest;8478201]Indeed ! It is a Steingraeber 205.

I play a Grotrian 192 and recognize that German sound! When I win the lottery, it's a 205 for me too. :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search