The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Original Audio vs Single through Profire Converters
View Poll Results: What clip is the original?
Clip A is the original
1 Votes - 7.14%
Clip B is the original
11 Votes - 78.57%
Who cares, they sound the same!
2 Votes - 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th May 2009
Original Audio vs Single through Profire Converters

I posting the clips of a simple test I did that started a long discussion:

Conversion.....overated?

I took a CD wav rip of the Steely Dan song "Peg" and ran the output from the M-Audio Profire 610 back into the inputs on the Profire and recorded the result. The test was done because I wanted to hear what the D/A and A/D stage on my Profire was doing to the audio.

Take a listen and let me know what you guys with the really high end D/A's are hearing. If you could state your listening setup (D/A and monitors) that would be great.

One 30 second sample is simply the original file, the other passed through the Profire converters. Can you tell which is which?

Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

Last edited by aleatoric; 28th May 2009 at 07:45 AM..
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post

Conversion.....overated?

I took a CD wav rip of the Steely Dan song "Peg" and ran the output from the M-Audio Profire 610 back into the inputs on the Profire and recorded the result. The test was done because I wanted to hear what the D/A and A/D stage on my Profire was doing to the audio.

Take a listen and let me know what you guys with the really high end D/A's are hearing. If you could state your listening setup (D/A and monitors) that would be great.

One 30 second sample is simply the original file, the other passed through the Profire converters. Can you tell which is which?

Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!
Mytek converter v.s. Digi 002 converter:A/B Test here!

the performance curve vs. price is not lineal, its logarithmic. but its not always true.
there are some verry overpriced converters out there that dont sound good.

Found: Lavry Gold AD122-96MKIII vs. Apogee AD-16x
digital loop tests is not the best way to test converters, but its fun.

the best way is something like:
pure analog direct transformerless condenser mic ---> clean mic.pre---> AD -->DA vs. DA ---> analog console--->Big Far Field "Cinema" loudspeakers.
vs.
direct analog from mic.pre--> in analog

here are some interesting original files:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...est-redux.html

loop tests are verry limited to many variables, like listenin equipment, AD quality, wordclock jitter, cable quality, etc... its like a window inside a window.

for example; ive done loop tests with Emu 1820m, in the loop test didnt sounded soo bad, but listening 1820m DA vs. other DA the diference is incredible. the 1820m DA sounds verry colored in the mids, the E-DSP 576ps wordclock sounds totally lifeless.

here is another interesting test:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...hout-ears.html
Old 28th May 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post

Okay, I'll bite.

"A" sounds pinched,especially noticeable on the melodic stabs at the beginning and on the snare and lacks some of the depth that the other clip has, "B" has more depth and doesn't have that pinched sound.

My guess is that "B" is the original track.

Benchmark D/A->Bryston->NS10's->EARS

Mark
Old 28th May 2009
Hey Mark,

Thanks for taking the test!

I hope to get 20 or so votes before revealing the answer.
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear
for the record you know my opinion about this :-)

I voted B. I prefered the sound of B because it sounded like what I remember when I was 13 (peg was one of the first basslines I learned when I was in grade 8 - DAMN I LOVE THAT SONG).

However I understand a little too well the inaccuracy of the human brain, so I will chalk it up to me "thinking" that B sounds better than A while I expect fully well that if I put both into an editor, superimposed them and analyzed the results I'd find them virtually identical.

Hey, wait a minute, that's a good idea! LoL hang on, let me do that

cheers,
Don
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

B seems to sound better on my setup. Slightly more clear - better snare - better cymbals at intro - neat stereo image...

not super obvious which one is orignal though
Old 29th May 2009
Gear Nut

The lack of response on this thread is hilarious... no one wants to get it wrong.
Old 30th May 2009
Lives for gear
I actually wanted to not hear a difference because I'm a backer of the "converters are all so good these days that they really aren't worth spending a ton of money on" school of thought.

But what would be funny is if B is the converted version eh?

Like that famous dat deck test where the few people who could hear a difference after dozens of times through dat converters to dat tape and back again generally preferred the sound of the mult-converted one thinking it sounded more full and had better imaging so it must be original.

it will be very interesting to me.

Hey OP, could you PM me the results? I won't tell (you know I won't) but it might take a long time to find out at this rate if you're waiting for more voters.

cheers,
Don
Old 2nd June 2009
Gear Nut

B sounds like the original. Tighter and more distinct. Snare drum decay is clearer.

The ears do play tricks, though. These tests are best done blind.

If B is through the M-audio converters, then they are doing something nice to the audio!
Old 5th June 2009
Gear Nut

Would love to hear the answer soon. :-)
Old 10th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Really could not tell much of a difference on headphones, at least not enough to justify buying better converters...I own a profire
Old 1st April 2011
Gear Head

I love how someone starts a thread like this and never replies or finishes it...

Pffffffft.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search