The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Different Tubes In A Tube Tech CL1B
View Poll Results: Which one is for you?
No compression - I hate compression
6 Votes - 6.90%
Stock CL1B Russian Tubes
11 Votes - 12.64%
Manley Ref C tube
6 Votes - 6.90%
Siemens Tubes
6 Votes - 6.90%
Mullard Tubes
27 Votes - 31.03%
Telefunken Tube
38 Votes - 43.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Guys what are you talking about?! I was talking about the samples, how they SOUND and didn't said that they null, that's impossible...i said they ALMOST null (analyzed in cubase).
Old 10th August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hi
On a CL1B the valve circuitry is only a fixed gain (about 30dB) amplifier with an opto compressor in front of it. Performance due to the valves alone, assuming they are working to the same 'spec' will be minimal. Variations in performance due to compressor settings are likely to be greater than valve characteristics alone. If checking for valve variation on this unit, the compressor should be 'disabled' (1:1.2 ratio and threshold off)
A comment earlier about a HF 'boost' sheen or whatever on a HARDWARE as opposed to the pluging is likely if the output is not terminated into 600 Ohms and also depending on cable capacitance as there is a HF lift when running into loads more than 600 Ohms. This would be exacerbated if running into say a real Pultec EQ with a transformer input whilst being nominally 600 Ohms is reactive.
Matt S
Old 20th August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
On a CL1B the valve circuitry is only a fixed gain (about 30dB) amplifier with an opto compressor in front of it. Performance due to the valves alone, assuming they are working to the same 'spec' will be minimal. Variations in performance due to compressor settings are likely to be greater than valve characteristics alone. If checking for valve variation on this unit, the compressor should be 'disabled' (1:1.2 ratio and threshold off)
A comment earlier about a HF 'boost' sheen or whatever on a HARDWARE as opposed to the pluging is likely if the output is not terminated into 600 Ohms and also depending on cable capacitance as there is a HF lift when running into loads more than 600 Ohms. This would be exacerbated if running into say a real Pultec EQ with a transformer input whilst being nominally 600 Ohms is reactive.
Matt S
Tnx for clarifying that
Old 20th August 2010 | Show parent
Why isn't someone selling one?! Damnit!
Old 21st August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hi
You can get a new one with warranty from TubeTech and I think their new 'rack module' may be of interest.
Matt S
Old 8th April 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

i will try

it seem interesting to see the test,i own a CL 1A i have to sets of tubes yone telefunkens that are superb,and another using a IE ECC82 and another JAN philips military,they have diferent sound,but all good i would love to test the mullards,my boys in the studios all arund london the all stick in the philips and mullards,the rusian tubes tend to make the sound blury or mudy,it change the dinamic of the sound,did not like it.
i will let you guys know when i do it,when i have time
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
Oh, I see. I was under the impression that yours were mixed up.

Has anyone had a chance to take that dry file that Johan posted and run it through their CL 1B w/ upgraded tubes?
Old 8th April 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Wink

You need 2 tubes 1 ECC82 & 1ECC83,prferable good quality ones,mullards philips,telefunken,mazda,and so on,the vintage tubes where build on diferent standard of quality,with higher quality control standards,new technique have lowered quality.
do not even think to use chinese tube the do not meet the standard for a tube tech.
i do not really know the exact wodrs to describe this but try,tube tech CL1A or 1B can tolerate up max of 185 mili something coming from the tube,cheap tube easy overpass this to up to 225 mili wathever.
your tube tech can handle it and even work for years like that,but at some point,a vital component will blow,it cost arond ยฃ75 plus 2 Hours of work.make in it 175 in UK.
then chnaging tubes is not just take one out and plugin another one. sometimes the unit needs to recalibrated,so the VU meter readings are acurate.and also test the valves for make shure the valves do not over pass those miliwhatever.
ii hope you get a better picture.whatever you do do not use chinese or rusian tube,remember something.
what makes a tube tech sound and stand are the tubes,the better the tube the better the result.
why do you think that are tubes out there that worth 1200 dollars,would you buy a rollsroyce and then put budget tyres?
If you need i can put you in contact with someone in germaby that have telefunkens tested at reasonable prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
So what are th
e model tubes I need?

Sorry for the confusion, I'm just not a tech dude at all and these type of threads lose me. How many and what exact models?

Thanks
Old 26th October 2011
Here for the gear

I just want to thank Johan for doing this shootout. It was immensely helpful in me finding my ideal vocal compressor, which is a CL1B with the Telefunken tubes. There was always a little something that bugged me about the CL1B's midrange. I never really gave much thought to the tubes, but swapping the stock to the Telefunkens really did the trick. They smoothed out the mids and extended the lows and highs in a beautiful way! Everything became nicely evened out.

Thanks again for all the legwork you did.
Old 27th October 2011 | Show parent
Many thanks! You are welcome!
Old 10th February 2012
Here for the gear

I changed the jj tubes out with telefunken and it was a dramatic change for the better. A Wunder CM7 and a Vintech 73 pre
Old 16th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hey, anyone still got the shootout files?
Thanks.
Old 17th January 2014 | Show parent
I have looked everywhere. I can not find them anymore. Sorry.
Old 19th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Thanks so much!
Old 19th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

So I'm not too much into the tech side of tubes etc., but I like the Telefunken tubes in the test and would like to get them for my CL2A.

Anyone care to give me exactly the details of what tubes these are?
I'd guess there are different 'vintage Telefunken tubes', right?

Thanks!
Old 20th January 2014 | Show parent
Awsome! As soon as I get the files, I will re-upload them to the original location.
Old 4th February 2014
Files are back up in their original location again. Thanks, guys!

http://www.worldstudios.se/TubeTechCL1bTubeTest.zip
Old 4th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I actually need to replace tubes right at this moment.

I get the differences but everyone talks about one tube. Aren't there two different types of tubes?

I like the telfunken so far as I want a brighter and tighter low end which it seems to be based on feedback and the files. But AFAIK the tele is a 12AX7, that's the "first" stage or v1. correct? There is also a 12AU7 in the "second" stage or v2โ€ฆ what about that one?

you can't use two teles. So since most people are alluding to one tube does it mean that they are alluding to the v1 and then the v2 doesn't matter as much?

I literally need to goto tomorrow and get new tubes as I'm smack in the middle of mixing a project and it's starting to make crazy tube noise so im 99.9% sure one or both of the tubes are shot. I live in NYC and the closest place where I can go to get tubes tomorrow is Vacuum Tubes For Guitar Amps and Hifi Audio | Dougstubes.com

So based on what you guys see there, what would you guys suggest for the 12AU7. I only use it for vocals and bass. So tight lows for bass and nice top for vocals. Not really looking for a "lofi" sort of thing as some have mentioned about the mullards.

I heard someone say a clear top RCA 12AU7 on another post but I'm not sure exactly which one that is.

FWIW, the USA service center has their replacement tubes as JJ ecc83/82 (TT/CL-1B/SET - $37.95 : TRD Parts OnLine, a division of Thermal Relief Design, Inc.)

Worst case I can just get these from dougs tubes localls and get on with it. But if I am changing tubes anyway might as well spice things up and try something cool like the telfunken here (ANOS Telefunken 12AX7/ECC83 - 12AX7 / ECC83 / 7025 - Preamp Tubes)

and then pick some 12AU7 for the other one
Old 15th December 2014
On the vocal source, loved the euphoric nature of the Mullard sound.

On the Pop Mix, I prefered the Siemens or maybe the Telesm because the Mullards lost some of the 50-80hz fullness. That being said, nobody needs 50-80hz for vocals or guitar or just about any instrument besides bass.
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

what do you guys think of ARS tubes?

I will say this and i hope no one kills me. I heard no difference between golden dragon tunes and vintage telefunken. I did hear a difference between ARS, bigger sound, less detail though. Curious about the siemens.
Old 29th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
what do you guys think of ARS tubes?

I will say this and i hope no one kills me. I heard no difference between golden dragon tunes and vintage telefunken. I did hear a difference between ARS, bigger sound, less detail though. Curious about the siemens.
Well.........I threw NOS Mullard's in mine.......and it's lovely, so it can take all sorts, just got to find the tone YOU really love - that simple!

TLB.
Old 29th January 2015
Lives for gear

what mic was used in the tube tests of the CL1b, as far as I remember there were tons of mics in that shoot out. Is this the c800g?

Will be uploading Cl1a samples of the file shortly of Bowie Telefunken, and ARS tubes, with GE on the ecc82, I have a nos RCA lying around too, might as well give it a spin too, any recommendations on warm-up time?

Last edited by JblKid95; 30th January 2015 at 05:39 AM..
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

CL1a clips...

General Electric on ecc82
Attached Files

CL1a TELE BOWIE~.wav (9.13 MB, 1441 views)

CL1a ARS TESLA~.wav (9.13 MB, 1395 views)

CL1a RCA~.wav (9.13 MB, 1485 views)

Old 17th August 2017
Hi! Right now the files can not be reached in the original location, but try this link: https://spaces.hightail.com/space/XuQC24Eiss

It works. :D

Last edited by World Studios; 16th November 2017 at 08:39 AM..
Old 10th November 2020
I can, for some reason, not edit the old posts, but right now the audio folder is here:

http://worldstudios.se/wp-content/up...chTubeTest.zip

And here:

https://f002.backblazeb2.com/file/b2...chTubeTest.zip

Let me know if that doesn't work!

Also, the one in post #114 above still works, so it is just the one first post in this thread that doesn't work and can't be edited...
๐Ÿ“ Reply