The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TM-1 Samples with various Preamps
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

TM-1 Samples with various Preamps

Mr. Ray Porter, voiceover extroardinaire, brought his beautiful new TM-1 over today for a session, and we took the opportunity to do a little A-B (and C, D, E and F) comparison using several of my pre's. I also had him do a read with my L47MP, to see how the two U47-ish mics compared. I was glad to note they are quite a bit different, so I don't have to cross the TM-1 off my shopping list!

This mic is a very good fit for Ray, and we both agreed it sounded pretty darn good no matter what we plugged it into. As he tends to be a bit sibilant, we preferred it with the high cut filter in. The differences are sometimes subtle, sometimes glaring, but we were both impressed and a little surprised at how good it sounded through the Grace. All tracks are flat with no compression, though I did a little level matching before converting the files. Any comments welcome.
Attached Files

L47MP Pacifica.mp3 (694.2 KB, 2814 views)

TM-1 BAE 312A.mp3 (719.9 KB, 2598 views)

TM-1 Pacifica.mp3 (721.8 KB, 2492 views)

TM-1 Aurora GTQ.mp3 (712.2 KB, 2682 views)

TM-1 Grace 101 HPF.mp3 (712.2 KB, 2708 views)

TM-1 Vintech 1272.mp3 (711.1 KB, 2754 views)

Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

Hey! Now here's a test I have dreamt about! I will take a listen on my ATC's, but from my Harman/Kardon desktop speakers I can already hear the differences in sound. The Pacifica is the biggest sounding. I was expecting the Grace to have the most top end. Not so, the Vintech is the brightest and most cutting, very close to the sound of my Vintage Design ProPack. The BAE, I liked the least. Good for my wallet. I am no vintage fanatic...

The L47 is miles off and sound more like the TM-1 without the HF filter enabled. Hmmmm, might have to get that Pacifica after all :-)

Many Thanks,
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

Also, which version of the TM-1 is it? Sounds like the stock one more or less. You get to choose from tubes, tranformers and even capsule upgrades....
Old 17th October 2008

L47MP + Pacifica thumbsup
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
Hey! Now here's a test I have dreamt about! I will take a listen on my ATC's, but from my Harman/Kardon desktop speakers I can already hear the differences in sound. The Pacifica is the biggest sounding. I was expecting the Grace to have the most top end. Not so, the Vintech is the brightest and most cutting, very close to the sound of my Vintage Design ProPack. The BAE, I liked the least. Good for my wallet. I am no vintage fanatic...

The L47 is miles off and sound more like the TM-1 without the HF filter enabled. Hmmmm, might have to get that Pacifica after all :-)

Many Thanks,
As Dave says, the TM-1 and the Pacifica are a good match—though I think the Aurora sounds really big also. I agree that the BAE is the weakest in this context. It's a great pre for music, but in general I haven't liked it in any voiceover situations.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
Also, which version of the TM-1 is it? Sounds like the stock one more or less. You get to choose from tubes, tranformers and even capsule upgrades....
I forgot to note the tube. It's not a German tube, but I know he did replace the tube it came with. Maybe Ray will chime in here with the specifics.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

TM-1 with either the Aurora or Pacifica sounded good to me.

All were usable, but those two combos really stood out to me.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

L47MP Pacifica.mp3

L47MP Pacifica.mp3
one vote here for the L47MP --> Pacifica

can you give more info, like converters, wordclock, cables brand&model ?

could it be possible to hear a L45MP ---> BAE 312A ?

thanks.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2012 View Post
L47MP Pacifica.mp3
one vote here for the L47MP --> Pacifica

can you give more info, like converters, wordclock, cables brand&model ?

could it be possible to hear a L45MP ---> BAE 312A ?

thanks.
Two people so far have preferred the L47 to the TM-1. Interesting. Ray won't likely be back in soon, so the L47-312A test probably won't happen. Cables throughout my studio are mostly Mogami, with some Canare and Optima mic cables; converter is an Apogee Rosetta 800 via Lightpipe through an RME Digiface, with a Lucid GenX6 as master WC for the entire system (though I've been toying with the idea of making the Rosetta the master and using the Lucid as a WC distributor instead).
Old 18th October 2008
Here for the gear

Hi, Ray here. My TM-1 is the american tube version using a JAN 5693 (mil spec for the 6SJ7) tube. I ended up "buying american" at Dave's recommendation. He really listens to what you need from his microphones.
After talking with me a few times, he told me I'd be better off with the american version. I still love the idea that the guy who builds and sells the mics was talking me out of spending more money. Each tube has a sound of its own, this mic takes 6SJ7s and 6AC7s. I have a few RCA tubes I found and really the sound is different from tube to tube. Of course the Pacifica is a great match for the TM-1, it is one that Dave Pearlman recommends. I was really surprised by the Grace though, I liked the way it sounded.
I think it would be interesting to run through all of Sean's mics and pres but of course he wouldn't get any work done and we'd both be in trouble with our wives. It would be cool though to read the same copy and really A/B and the rest of the alphabet with different gear combos.
Old 20th October 2008
Lives for gear

Took a second listen on my big ATC's. The Aurora one sounds the best, but is it possible that he is speaking a bit more aggresively on that one? The sound "jumps out" the most in this one, but I also like the Vintech one, and the Pacifica...
Old 25th November 2008
Lives for gear

I know the thread died for a sec but....

I must chime in because I am interested in the TM-1... The Aurora definitely jumps out the most...The pacifica sounds now...The Vintech, I like as well... Just curious Sean, if u can even remember, what did u have the input sensitivity set on.. I also have a 1272...I had been going between a L47 or the TM...I currently have a AT4033, RODE K2(with an Amperex PQ 1961 tube-sounds much better now), 2 RODE NT1a's, GROOVE TUBES MD2a WHICH I LOVE but it's always felt like more of a Solid State than a tube to me @least, a U87, JM37DP which I probably like on my voice more than any of the other mics I have(if u've neva heard it u should; i know it's a cheapy so U wouldn't even look @ it but I got it free with a JOEMEEK TwinQ & couldn't believe my ears)...Anywayz, Sean & Ray thanks for this as u have caused me to spend more Dinero...
Old 25th November 2008
Lives for gear
i am glad i have a tm-1 with a p1 AND an aurora
Old 26th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS View Post
I must chime in because I am interested in the TM-1... The Aurora definitely jumps out the most...The pacifica sounds now...The Vintech, I like as well... Just curious Sean, if u can even remember, what did u have the input sensitivity set on.. I also have a 1272...I had been going between a L47 or the TM...I currently have a AT4033, RODE K2(with an Amperex PQ 1961 tube-sounds much better now), 2 RODE NT1a's, GROOVE TUBES MD2a WHICH I LOVE but it's always felt like more of a Solid State than a tube to me @least, a U87, JM37DP which I probably like on my voice more than any of the other mics I have(if u've neva heard it u should; i know it's a cheapy so U wouldn't even look @ it but I got it free with a JOEMEEK TwinQ & couldn't believe my ears)...Anywayz, Sean & Ray thanks for this as u have caused me to spend more Dinero...
Just our little contribution to the economic recovery! I'm afraid I didn't note the input of the 1272, but it's highly likely I had it wide open (-50) since he was doing a pretty low-key read. The Aurora really is an amazing piece of gear—even more so when the EQ and compressor are engaged. I assume your statement about the Pacifica is a typo. What were you meaning to say?
Old 26th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
I assume your statement about the Pacifica is a typo. What were you meaning to say?
Yeah sorry...I meant to say its sound "NICSE"...
But yeah thanks again for the clips...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search