The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lynx Aurora 16 vs Behringer ADA8000 Audio Interfaces
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post

The fact that many people were baseing they're decisions on monitoring the examples through the high-fidelity reproduction speakers of a laptop sort of proves the point really....when the people who are buying music and just about keeping this industry alive are listening to music through a crappy system of some description,do you really think they can tell or care for the subtle differences of modern convertors?
This is missing much of the point of great converters. The fact is that they have a big influence on the end result in the whole process of mixing. You cannot process a badly converted signal in the same way you would a good sounding one. Working with the mud, harshness, midrange clutter is very different from a nice, clean sound with good time domain precision. Unfortunately the latter ones still cost quite a lot more than entry level or even midrange gear.
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course not, loops of prerecorded material getting recorded out-to-in on the same clock without anything connected in between is not very meaningfull. You need good converters for listening and great source material to hear inferior conversion with this setup.

A good test would be to record 16 channels from a high quality analog source through the converter, mix them through plenty of outboard and a console and record the sum. This way you end up with drastically different results, and a meaningful real-life comparison.
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

I may agree the objection about the clock being the same for A-D and D-A.
But the converter or the preamp impact being more audible from a mix of a large number of tracks than on a single one is the so-said stacking theory, which is most questionable.
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Bad converters produce a signal with blurred time-domain response, aka muddy bass, cluttered midrange, fizzy high end. These files are not as easily processed (you end up amplifing the artifacts) and thus don't mix very well (it all gets muddy, and the artifacts get in the way of the usefull signal).

Look at your measurements, this is the easy test of just ADDA on the same clock, and the differences are well within the audible range even for the best converter involved.

Now think about, as an example, of the "breathy" high end component of a vocal recording, the average amplitude as well as the peak amplitude for this signal component is pretty low down, and when you now go ahead and compress it and also boost 13k or so on your console EQ by 10db, you could easily amplify the artifacts which "surround" this low amplitude breathy sound by 20db total. There's also a cumulative effect of course with multiple conversions.
Old 26th March 2013
Let's all go Forssell and stop speculating
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Bad converters produce a signal with blurred time-domain response, aka muddy bass, cluttered midrange, fizzy high end. These files are not as easily processed (you end up amplifing the artifacts) and thus don't mix very well (it all gets muddy, and the artifacts get in the way of the usefull signal).

Look at your measurements, this is the easy test of just ADDA on the same clock, and the differences are well within the audible range even for the best converter involved.

Now think about, as an example, of the "breathy" high end component of a vocal recording, the average amplitude as well as the peak amplitude for this signal component is pretty low down, and when you now go ahead and compress it and also boost 13k or so on your console EQ by 10db, you could easily amplify the artifacts which "surround" this low amplitude breathy sound by 20db total. There's also a cumulative effect of course with multiple conversions.
So which Converters are best!!!???
Old 22nd April 2013
Gear Head

Ok so here's a product I'm looking for. I don't think it exists??

Purpose: Provide 8 more channels of DA conversion for summing secondary tracks in a console, at an affordable price.

Description: 8 affordable DA converters like the Behringer ADA8000, but with (4) stereo AES inputs. Don't bother with the preamps or ADC. Balanced 1/4" outputs. Same price as the ADA8000.

I don't think anybody makes that, huh?
Old 22nd April 2013
Gear Head

Ok so here's a product I'm looking for. I don't think it exists??

Purpose: Provide 8 more channels of good DA conversion for summing additional "background" or "less critical" tracks in a console, at a more affordable price.

Description: 8 good sounding DA converters like the Behringer ADA8000, but with (4) stereo AES inputs for compatibility with higher end cards like the AES16e, and 24/96 compatible. Don't bother with the preamps or ADC. Balanced 1/4" outputs. Same price as the ADA8000.

I don't think anybody makes that, huh? Right now you gotta spend big bucks just to get those 8 more channels of AES compatible DA.
Old 26th May 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFang View Post
a .5db change in amplitude can easily be detected by your ears in most cases
Bull ****

utter bull ****.

I am a Dr. of Audiology, and I will happily be proven wrong, please send me a pm and you can travel to me and I will test your incredible ears.
Old 19th September 2013
Lives for gear

I couldn't tell much difference, but zooming on the waveforms, B is much closer to the original than A
Old 20th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS-7 View Post
Bull ****

utter bull ****.

I am a Dr. of Audiology, and I will happily be proven wrong, please send me a pm and you can travel to me and I will test your incredible ears.
Good point. Let's gain 10db vocal to 140db PA and figure out if we can find any difference in 0.5
Old 31st January 2014
Just doing this again, can't remember which was which at all. A sounds bad. I am sure B is much cleaner and closer to the original.

Edit - Still don't know, but after hearing the extra files I now think A is better overall. Amazing how difficult this is.
Old 22nd February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav View Post
Just doing this again, can't remember which was which at all. A sounds bad. I am sure B is much cleaner and closer to the original.
I did it for the first time today. I thought I was crazy thinking that B sounded better when everyone guessed that A was the Aurora.
Then I listened to the Dredge sample and it was sooo obvious that B did the more accurate conversion, the difference between the original and A is huge there, while B is very similar to the original.

It's either a result of peer pressure or just bad hearing. Really makes me question the validity of the some of these peoples judgement.
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Head

Hi all, I also heard it today for the first time.

And I prefer "B". I would not say that is transparent, but it feels more dynamic and colored in a good way. In fact, somehow I prefer than the original ITB mix.
"A" is blurry and I hear it aberrant.

Excuse my English, I'm using a translator

Greetings from Buenos Aires...
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Addict

I'm jumping right to the end of the thread so I don't spoil the answer and I'm going to say that A is the Aurora. Now to go back and see if I just embarrassed myself!
Old 25th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
no idea which converter is which, but blindly switching amongst the 3 i consistently kept preferring the originals. of the converters, B shows up as more hyped around 8-10k, which is not the kind of hype i dig.

so if i had to choose converters from these 2 i'd go with A.

gregoire
del
ubk
I absolutely agree. I also prefer A
Old 19th June 2014
Gear interested

Hi guys. Quick question. Which component in the ada8000 controls the sync? My adat out optical light is faulty (comes on and off) and it feels like an ic issue but im not sure
Old 19th June 2014
Gear interested

Dear Gregsdad86,

My name is Simon Thomas, the AVP of Care for the Music Group. I manage the Care customer support operation for the MUSIC Group.

I would be more than happy to help you get your ADA8000 working correctly as it should. I have sent you a PM so we can efficiently deal with your inquiry.

Kind Regards
Simon Thomas
AVP, Care
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER
Old 20th September 2014
Lives for gear

Oop's, pressed button twice.....

WB.
Old 20th September 2014
Lives for gear

I don think..........I can tell the difference, but if I had to put in my tuppence worth, and of course I'm probably way out, I think, I could tell that the original mix was the best, file A was the Behringer, and B was the Lynx, but, I may be just imagining a difference, there was very, very little in it, if anything for me. I'm going to buy one of these Behringers, and see how it stacks up against my UCX, that should be interesting, for the price of a curry and few beers who's loosing.

WB.
Old 20th September 2014
Gear Head

I listened through my NS-10s, and I immediately noticed a difference.

Converter A sounds much more clean, balanced, and big in the sound.
Converter B sounded unbalanced, sounded like the tracks were blending over each other. Also, sounded like that, sometimes in between, the vocal would get sucked out a bit.

A = Aurora
B = Behringer
Old 25th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad

I took a song that I had mixed entirely ITB and spread 16 channels of inserts across all the tracks as you might if mixing OTB. There was no outboard in the signal path however, so this is simply a 16 channel in/out test.
Hi!
I'm a beginner and I don't understand how you exactly routed the signal. Could you explain it to me step by step? I suppose you connected the TOS-Link-Output of your RME to the TOS-LINK-Input of the Behringer. And of course you had the TOS-Link-Output of the Behringer connected to the TOS-Link-Input of the RME. But how did you get the signal to flow back to the RME? I assume, that you had to connect the analog Output of each Behringer-Channel with the analog Input of the same channel. Am I right? Or completely wrong?

Everybody is welcome to chime in if you can help with the question.
Old 4th December 2017
Here for the gear

any internal photos of Aurora, folks?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Last edited by goom; 2 weeks ago at 06:53 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Even after knowing which was which, I preferred the Behringer unit. It seemed to have a much nicer low end, the Lynx seemed thin and brittle.

One indisputable fact I have learned over the years is. Good song, good performers trump any piece of equipment.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search