The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lynx Aurora 16 vs Behringer ADA8000 Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

File set 2 of 3

Attached Files

Dredge - Original.wav (4.63 MB, 6348 views)

Dredge - A.wav (4.63 MB, 6869 views)

Dredge - B.wav (4.63 MB, 6422 views)

Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

File set 3 of 3

Attached Files

Live - Original.wav (4.64 MB, 5669 views)

Live - A.wav (4.64 MB, 6049 views)

Live - B.wav (4.64 MB, 6368 views)

Old 22nd October 2008
A sounds more open both spacial and in tonal range.
The highs/hi.mid on B sounds nasty and grainy. Doesn't sound that bad the first time you hear it, bur after a while you'll be ripping off your hair in despair
Also B seems to be missing parts of its transients.
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

I guess "B" is the Aurora
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

i liked conversion A best.
more details/high end and dynamics than B.
curious to the result
Old 22nd October 2008
Gear Guru

no idea which converter is which, but blindly switching amongst the 3 i consistently kept preferring the originals. of the converters, B shows up as more hyped around 8-10k, which is not the kind of hype i dig.

so if i had to choose converters from these 2 i'd go with A.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

So obviously there are going to be some people here who get this wrong. I can't wait to see the results revealed.

I tallied the votes so far:

A=Aurora: 10
B=Aurora: 3

Then there were 4 additional people not included in my count above that didn't state which was which but preferred the sound of A.

Out of curiosity, what kind of monitoring are people using to evaluate these files?

Brad
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

I'd also be curious to know what people are monitoring through....
Old 22nd October 2008
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad View Post
I'd also be curious to know what people are monitoring through....
Is that a disguised hint there perhaps...?? heh

Haven't listened yet, but will do soon.....kind of joining the hopeful gang wanting to find what turns out to be the Beastinger a workable sound. Not immensely hopeful, but hope is good.....and a deskful of outputs for ****e money would be such a sweet thing......
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Is that a disguised hint there perhaps...?? heh

Haven't listened yet, but will do soon.....kind of joining the hopeful gang wanting to find what turns out to be the Beastinger a workable sound. Not immensely hopeful, but hope is good.....and a deskful of outputs for ****e money would be such a sweet thing......
No hint, I just think knowing the monitoring chain adds to the conversation.

Please listen and post your impressions! I like to know what people are hearing and how they hear it. So far the descriptions have been very interesting to me!
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

I also greatly prefer the originals. Neither of these converters is that impressive to me.

Something you can do easily with these converters is a generation test...daisy chain AD and DA down the 8 or 16 channels, finding the level that they are most transparent at first.

Doesn't the Behr have variable gain stages in the circuit (i.e. mic preamps)? That would be an instant disadvantage.

I'm just monitoring on my old Gennie 1029A's that I have hooked up to a computer via a cheap interface. The studio rig doesn't have Internet.
Old 22nd October 2008
Gear Addict
Well, this is interesting. The other day a very respected mixer in my country brought in Behringer Ultramatch SRC 2496. For test we tracked voice through:

- Apogee Rossetta 200
- RME ADI-8
- Behringer Ultramatch SRC 2496

We agreed that Behringer is very good AD/DA converter. Their conversion technology is probably stolen but this unit is really cheap (130 euros new). This shows how other pruducts are overpriced..
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

I would like to hear the M audio 2526 fireface compared to others.
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
I also greatly prefer the originals. Neither of these converters is that impressive to me.
No offense, but it's pretty easy to say "I like the originals best". It leaves you with an easy out: If you're right, you've got good ears; if you're wrong, well then neither of them sounded good to you in the first place.

I highly encourage you to take the wav samples and post your own loop back test. Feel free to post them in this thread. It would be illuminating.

Quote:

Something you can do easily with these converters is a generation test...daisy chain AD and DA down the 8 or 16 channels, finding the level that they are most transparent at first.
Considering most won't daisy chain a signal that much I don't know how useful that would be.... however, that didn't stop me from doing that exact test about 2 years ago. heh Ada8000 - Sound samples - You vote!

Quote:

Doesn't the Behr have variable gain stages in the circuit (i.e. mic preamps)? That would be an instant disadvantage.
Sonic disadvantage? You tell me. All the Behringer files went through that preamp circuit. If there was a sonic disadvantage it should be pretty easy to tell, don't you think?
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Well when you factor in the quantities produced then you realize that price is actually appropriate. The Behringer prices are a result of huge quantities. The Apogees I would suspect are made in far fewer quanities at a time. If Honda made 5000 cars a year then I'm sure you'd be paying a lot more than $20k for that Accord.

I listened to the MP3 files on crappy $5 headphones through the soundcard output of my computer.

Brad
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Owwkay. I will try to get these up in the next coupla days.

'cept I have only a few AD/DA units. Mostly I have dedicated DACs or ADCs. Not sure which cells on the matrix I want to post, or how exactly.
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post

Out of curiosity, what kind of monitoring are people using to evaluate these files?

Brad
Benchmark DAC-1
BlueSky System 1
PMC TB-1's

and:
Digi 002R stock D/A's
Mirage bookshelves

I haven't listened to the 'newer' files - no time yet - maybe later...
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Owwkay. I will try to get these up in the next coupla days.

'cept I have only a few AD/DA units. Mostly I have dedicated DACs or ADCs. Not sure which cells on the matrix I want to post, or how exactly.
Once I reveal the results, we can post your files as a reference comparison... If you want to send them to me, I can post them in the existing cells... or we can create a new cell with all of the files labeled.... maybe a new cell makes more sense so there's no spoilers for future readers...
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad View Post
Once I reveal the results, we can post your files as a reference comparison... If you want to send them to me, I can post them in the existing cells... or we can create a new cell with all of the files labeled.... maybe a new cell makes more sense so there's no spoilers for future readers...
I figured I'd take your "original" ITB WAVs and run them through a single AD/DA loop for each of a few combinations. For instance, I can do 2192 out and in, ADI-2 out and in, and 2626 out and in as requested. But I'm wondering if I ought to add, say, DA10 to 1073DPD, which is a pretty nice sounding loop...
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I figured I'd take your "original" ITB WAVs and run them through a single AD/DA loop for each of a few combinations. For instance, I can do 2192 out and in, ADI-2 out and in, and 2626 out and in as requested. But I'm wondering if I ought to add, say, DA10 to 1073DPD, which is a pretty nice sounding loop...
Yes... that's what I meant.... use the original ITB Wavs and/or Original Commercial CD tracks...

I think any combo is fair game... I'm personally interested in what converter is capable of being the most transparent... but it would also be good to know which converter is the most flattering...
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Transparency can be a matter of gain structure of course. I may adjust the original level to a point where it's more transparent if that's the case.

Oh and I'm just going to do the stereo mixes. I don't have 16 matching converters anyway.
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Transparency can be a matter of gain structure of course. I may adjust the original level to a point where it's more transparent if that's the case.

Oh and I'm just going to do the stereo mixes. I don't have 16 matching converters anyway.
Sure thing... just tell us your methods so we know what you did to get there...
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm just monitoring on my old Gennie 1029A's that I have hooked up to a computer via a cheap interface. The studio rig doesn't have Internet.
you can't or won't guess which is which? it's 50/50 at worst. flip a coin if you have to. no ego here.
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovisceral View Post
you can't guess which is which? it's 50/50 at worst. flip a coin if you have to.
I already guessed that A stands for Aurora. If A is the Behr, I said I'd buy one!

Now if you really want transparency, I might calibrate via nulling as opposed to test tones.

Oh and nomad don't hold this thread up waiting for me sometimes I get too busy to get anything done.
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

I haven't a clue as to which clip is which, listening on my dell computer speakers I simply guessed heh.

In my own studio however I could tell a big difference when I got rid of my MOTU converters for the Lynx Aurora 16.

Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I already guessed that A stands for Aurora. If A is the Behr, I said I'd buy one!
cool. missed it. me too. heh

i just think people get too stressed out over these shootouts. who cares. it's not like there's a penalty for being wrong. (or is there?)
Old 22nd October 2008
No results yet? i am curious, i am in the market for new convertors, upgrading from RME FF800 to aurora 16, i listened to the wav files through desktop computer speakers, i will have another listen on my adams when i get to the studio, A is a bit better in the upper mids/highs, if thats the aurora then i will not pay the extra money tutt i will keep my RME and buy something else, maybe some microphones
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Yes, the penalty is you lose credibilty with people that think more expensive gear is the answer to the question "how do I make my recordings sound better".

Brad
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_Jordan View Post
No results yet? i am curious, i am in the market for new convertors, upgrading from RME FF800 to aurora 16, i listened to the wav files through desktop computer speakers, i will have another listen on my adams when i get to the studio, A is a bit better in the upper mids/highs, if thats the aurora then i will not pay the extra money tutt i will keep my RME and buy something else, maybe some microphones
There's 30+ people viewing the thread right now... I want to give those people a chance to weigh-in. Results will come soon enough!
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_Jordan View Post
My advice would be to put the money into live room and listening room acoustics.

Brad

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search