The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lynx Aurora 16 vs Behringer ADA8000 Audio Interfaces
Old 15th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
This thread is a prime example of why many who think they are engineers need to find themselves another job. If you picked the Behringer over the Lynx, engineering is not your thing.
...and modesty isn't yours.

It takes a creative mind to do a good a job and not the same old attitude you showed there.

..and here's the bad news, the work of a mixer is not judged just by the audio engineers community but the big public too, so everyone has say. If 80% of people prefered the behringer there's a good chance the ears that are not "good" are yours.
Old 15th May 2011
Lives for gear

If you think that the converter is sooo important in mixing music and think that anyone who cant hear the difference shouldnt be an engineer, then you should not be allowed to mix anyone elses music. You obviously pay too much attention to the wrong things and judge a mixer by his technical ability over his his musical ability.
You could do a great job in forensic audio tho.
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

ADA8000 MOD by BLA

just recieved mine!!! HaHaHa
Unbelievable selling my RME800....
Don't miss this mod, by Black Lion Audio..
I do not work for them, i'm blessed to live a few hours from Chicago!
Old 15th June 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
just recieved mine!!! HaHaHa
Unbelievable selling my RME800....
Don't miss this mod, by Black Lion Audio..
I do not work for them, i'm blessed to live a few hours from Chicago!
What mods does BLA do to this unit? I can't find any info on their website.
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
What mods does BLA do to this unit? I can't find any info on their website.
With the Premium ADA8000 Mod, we upgrade the analog stage I/O much like the standard mod. We also perform converter decoupling along with power filtering and noise reduction on the analog and digital rails. This Premium Modification provides a much richer sound with a wide clean soundstage and dramatically improved frequency response. This mod costs $450 plus return shipping.

Again, we offer the MicroClock at a discounted price with the Premium Mod as well. We strongly recommend getting the MicroClock.

This mod teamed with the MicroClock mkII will easily outperform an RME FF800, high end Apogee gear, and Lynx Aurora converters.

Call them, they are a awesome team!!!
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
With the Premium ADA8000 Mod, we upgrade the analog stage I/O much like the standard mod. We also perform converter decoupling along with power filtering and noise reduction on the analog and digital rails. This Premium Modification provides a much richer sound with a wide clean soundstage and dramatically improved frequency response. This mod costs $450 plus return shipping.

Again, we offer the MicroClock at a discounted price with the Premium Mod as well. We strongly recommend getting the MicroClock.

This mod teamed with the MicroClock mkII will easily outperform an RME FF800, high end Apogee gear, and Lynx Aurora converters.

Call them, they are a awesome team!!!
I think the Analog mod is $250, and the premium mod is $450, but the ADA8000 has to be built after 2009 I believe...
Old 2nd July 2011
Lives for gear

Old 28th July 2011
Lives for gear

If the mod is that good, why don't these more expensive brands shape up and do it as well? Are their engineers that clueless?
Old 28th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
If the mod is that good, why don't these more expensive brands shape up and do it as well? Are their engineers that clueless?
Profits....
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos30 View Post
I've modded 2 of these units. The frequency responce does improve when you change the opamps. I've beaten the rme specs across the board with my units. This is a solid piece from behringer and on the graph if you look the diffrence measured is .1 db if you can hear changes of .5 db id be amazed. In this unit changing the output opamps only improved crosstalk specs. The input stages are really the only concern. I switched to a smd tle2072 type chip and the unit cleaned up very nicely.

doulos30

Could you show frequency response plots after/before mod ?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Frequency response is just one out of many parameters. Even worse, converters tend to dynamically alter a signal, and sinewave sweeps don't reveal that.
Old 1st October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
I've got mine clocked to my RME HDSP9652.

They sounded alright when clocked to my MOTU 2408MKI.

They sound WAAAAY better with the RME. I have them clocked via ADAT sync. I may plug in the wordclock cable one day and see what happens but they sound great right now.

I have 24 channels of ADA8000 on my Reaper workstation. On the PT workstation we're using the BLA modded 002. To be honest I really like my ADA8000s

Peace
Illumination
Hey,

Did you have any problems with using your HDSP9652?
I'm thinking of running one of the ADA8000 alongside my RME ADI8 DS.

Best
G
Old 1st October 2011
I've been looking for some green light to upgrade my RME ADI8s, basically because I want a further 8 outputs and the Aurora 16 really looked interesting plus I had heard great things about them.

When first listening to the A/Bs I instinctively chose B, but then immediately became convinced that in fact A must be the Auroras, because A (listening on ear bud headphones) seemed to have more clarity.

As far as I was concerned I just wanted to find out the answer and confirm my beliefs, it seemed obvious that A would be revealed as the premium converter.

So, now I'm in the studio and am listening on proper monitoring and I have to say, I cannot consistently choose or prefer the premium priced product.
I am...yep, seriously thinking that if an ADA8000 will run happily alongside my RME from the HDSP9652 card, then its a no brainer, I'll order up mine later today.

There are though other considerations I think. When I first upgraded from my Maudio converters back in 2002 I rode the crest of a massive wave of improvement, the bass response and top end was clearly improved from the outset, but also my monitoring, tracking and mixing improved exponentially over the following month, making what might have seemed to some a minor upgrade into something far more life changing.

My only reservation might be that the Aurora might offer the kind of quality that reveals itself the more you use it and it may effect how you make mixing or tracking decisions, the cumulative effect being very significant.

I think that influence is impossible to measure and may be significantly important to the user who knows how much they have improved while an objective listener may have no preference either way.

The difference is though that back in 2002 I am sure of the improvements the RME upgrade made straight out of the box, I'm not sure I can justify spending 2K on the Aurora when I hear no significant difference compared to a £200 behringer unit.
Old 8th October 2011
RiF
Lives for gear

Does anybody know how to do a mod for the ADA8000 (production date after 12/2009), that eliminates that documented mute bug on the outputs that really make the unit unusable (unusable at least if you want to use the outputs)?
Old 8th October 2011
Hi Rif,

Did you see the workaround posted earlier?
Just insert a dither plug on the software outputs you have configured for the Behringer.
I had the same problem, fixed it up good.

---
Old 8th October 2011
I wanted to post a reply for specifically for Norman Nomad.

Terrific post and a great example of the power of forums like this, especially when it is organised so well.

I was about to spend £1200 on a second RME ADI8.

I've been an RME user for the last 10 years now and am really familiar with their sound but I was pretty conflicted about sinking this much into a second set, especially since I have done this once before and sold them a couple of years ago.
Cue the Behringer - I'm no stranger to what this company represents but I can find no performance difference between the two, in fact the ADA8000 sounds just like the RME - cannot detect any tone, spatial or dynamic difference when listening on my monitoring system.

So, I bought a set and figured for £150 I can afford to be wrong.

The problem of the fade in audio is disconcerting and disappointing but the dither plug in work around has fixed that.
Ok, the build quality is typical Behringer and it might only last a couple of years but so far, I am absolutely made up and saved a fortune.

For anyone considering this, my needs were I needed additional converters, so for me it is fine. While I feel confident about using the ADA8000, I still will give preferential RME converter space to the important audio such as drums, vocals and bass.
I don't need the mic pre's on the front, I'm pretty sure this will be functional if not especially interesting.

Thanks!
G
Old 8th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiFF View Post

Terrific post and a great example of the power of forums like this, especially when it is organised so well.

I've been an RME user for the last 10 years now and am really familiar with their sound but I was pretty conflicted about sinking this much into a second set, especially since I have done this once before and sold them a couple of years ago.
Cue the Behringer - I'm no stranger to what this company represents but I can find no performance difference between the two, in fact the ADA8000 sounds just like the RME - cannot detect any tone, spatial or dynamic difference when listening on my monitoring system.

The problem of the fade in audio is disconcerting and disappointing but the dither plug in work around has fixed that.
Ok, the build quality is typical Behringer and it might only last a couple of years but so far, I am absolutely made up and saved a fortune.

For anyone considering this, my needs were I needed additional converters, so for me it is fine. While I feel confident about using the ADA8000, I still will give preferential RME converter space to the important audio such as drums, vocals and bass.
I don't need the mic pre's on the front, I'm pretty sure this will be functional if not especially interesting.

Thanks!
G
I paired one of these babies with a BLA MicroClick MKll !! Oooo wiii
Old 8th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks!
G
No prob... amazed to see this thread still bump to the top every once in awhile.
Old 8th October 2011
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Rif,

Did you see the workaround posted earlier?
Just insert a dither plug on the software outputs you have configured for the Behringer.
I had the same problem, fixed it up good.

---
This or putting a Waves plugin with "analog emulation" will probably do the job. Still, I'd prefer a hardware fix.
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

First of all
It is well known the lynx sounds a lot better at higher sample rates than lower, I would like to hear them both at 192, even thou I wouldn't use them that high.

Second, I feel the behringer sounds over excited, might be ok for some stuff, but I would want to eq that in, not have it there to start with. I feel like the lynx would be a little more neutral so I could shape my mixes, not have it shaped for me.
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrimsdream View Post
First of all
It is well known the lynx sounds a lot better at higher sample rates than lower, I would like to hear them both at 192, even thou I wouldn't use them that high.

Second, I feel the behringer sounds over excited, might be ok for some stuff, but I would want to eq that in, not have it there to start with. I feel like the lynx would be a little more neutral so I could shape my mixes, not have it shaped for me.
The Lynx doesn't sound its best at 192 either, the sweetspot is 88,2 khz somehow. Much better than 96khz, too.
Old 10th October 2011
leg
Gear interested

the behringer tops at 48k, so cannot compare at higher rates

Luis
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

thanks for this thread guys, imma score myself a ada8000 to hookup to my fireface. epic home recording win!
Old 8th December 2011
Gear interested

Here is the same orig song continuously assembled from all 3 posted files
and rendered in WL6

Live - Original.wav
Live - A.wav (Behringer ADA8000)
Live - B.wav (Lynx Aurora16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
A sounds more open both spacial and in tonal range.
The highs/hi.mid on B sounds nasty and grainy. Doesn't sound that bad the first time you hear it, bur after a while you'll be ripping off your hair in despair
Also B seems to be missing parts of its transients.

with all the respect but i'm not going 2b ripping anything soon in order to get Lynx

Just my +2c

tutt
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear interested

to be honest there is no a big difference... these days A/D D/A converters from cheap stuff are of excellent quality.
Old 26th December 2011
To be honest there is a huge difference. More audible then between 7 "sound close" summing devices.

First of all thank you all who pronounced your opinion loud and made this result possible. Especially you, DPile!

Digital audio messed up music industry last 15 years. The huge influence of plugs did their work and audio became ... "bla bla".. non charismatic or "dead". Its quiet audible in ITB example that all aspects of the song has no "attitude" at all (please be assure I’m talking about sound delivery, mix and the song are great) and just reproduce "ones and zeroes" in near perfect way.

Les Paul said an amazing thing to Rode CEO: "What we hear in our head......is very hard to explain."

How to explain? Just get that 3 same records and "hear". I mean feel and understand the message. Vibes that you hear (should) make your body move or dance (Bob Katz loudness war presentation). In other words should anyhow force to keep listening.

1) I rather switch.
2) Nice drive
3) Mushy, 1 is better.

WHY?

1) You will find out that ITB bothers you and simply is just "too much information to understand" so our brain says "no" - stop hearting me by that "concrete" tuff linear information. That’s why best ITB songs has only 4 tracks - vocal, kick, snare, simple bass or melody. But in this particular situation we hear tons of information. Did you notice "by-your-self" that you didn’t want to listen more than 10 seconds to the original and rather listen to converter test to the almost end to find out which sounds better? It’s not because you exactly know what are you hearing but it makes you be interested in sound. In this example our psychology is not familiar with a song - so any aggressive aspect would mean reject and it would take time and push our knowledge to enjoy the song.

3) Aurora is definitely hi-end build and its delivery is close to original. But the bottom end boosted and squashed at the time (take a listen to entering of bass guitar in the beginning) - sound like there is something "strange" and makes you ask yourself "what was that?.. Wired".. Then the first snare sounds like mosquito bite..and then our incalculable „custom build-in equalizers and compressors made by best architecture in the universal" ear solve the problem by simple adjusting to the source we listen. We know what we are going to hear and can relax a bit. It’s important to say that overall image is really good. The mids are better than B and it has its moody flavor. The character sounds like BMW X5 ride.

Benefit:
- brand name for studio
- good mid and hi-mid translation with pleasant sound.

Cons:
- overall mushy sound
- boosting low end
- lost def in top end
- overwhelms in a bad way (overwhelms can be sweet for example on Fat Bustard summing device but definitely not in this case).
- lost of quality

Average: One of the top 8 channel ADDA converters money can buy. Good stereo image and mid definition. Suitable for country, jazz, blues RnB music console thing purpose.

2) The first 5 sec. test was obvious that this converter is better, smoother, louder and more dynamic. After long comparison can talk about only few cons:

- the whole image and depth is bit smashed
- the definition is bit lost in mids (audiable data lost in quiet singer pronunciation passage)
- the top end is boosted
- lost of quality

and the best part is benefits:

- transparency
- very suitable character for rock, pop, hip-hop, classic, and electronic music!
- DAAD sounds like nasty effect I want to use
- Hi end sounds like "song is done".

Average: I cant imagine this song without that particular sound colour. It has that LA2A flavor and that lovely distortion on siblings or aggressive high parts. Sounds like final version of the song. Love to listen again and again. Even 32 times DAAD converted audio sound is audible and emotional (means more than listenable). Where I want to share that tone? Nissan GT-R with 850hp.

Guys.. sorry to say that. I guess I am that MTV generation dude. But still half life experienced 23 year old engineer hearing signals above 18 kHz and I’ve done thousand of recordings. My ear is more sensitive than would be after 25 or even 5 years. And I don’t have a problem with monitoring neither. I also don’t have a problem with old guys recommending me opposite because I trust my ears first.

Problem of most SE is materialism. Sometimes you should be above multimillion studio brands and just "create". That is our job 2 do.

Why did ADA8000 beat Aurora? Almost everyone would tell you it sounds better. He would not know why or how.. what brand is it.. what compressor is used or how much times track is converted.. It’s just "better" ( in this particular situation ) because we have a better feeling of listening. And that’s what counts - first 5 seconds.

In this review, I was not focused on the price of units.

Thank you
Just my 2¢
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

The Aurora mushes up the low end and the high end needs 88/96 to sound good, but with the Behringer device you get that signature JRC45xx upper mids dynamic high end distortion and loss of low level detail. The Aurora signal still mixes itself well with other tracks and takes processing easily, whereas with the Behringer you can't dial in much high end without uncovering the artifacts and the harshness behind it.
Old 1st January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
The Aurora mushes up the low end and the high end needs 88/96 to sound good, but with the Behringer device you get that signature JRC45xx upper mids dynamic high end distortion and loss of low level detail. The Aurora signal still mixes itself well with other tracks and takes processing easily, whereas with the Behringer you can't dial in much high end without uncovering the artifacts and the harshness behind it.
I think only con of Behringer is digitality in some way. But it can be used in different types of music.
Old 1st January 2012
Lives for gear

So what would you say, use Behr as DA or M-Audio 2626? (I have both)
Old 1st January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
So what would you say, use Behr as DA or M-Audio 2626? (I have both)
Profire2626...
I have both and modified both with BLA!!!!
Amazing improvements... Night and Day...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search