The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Honors Degree: Comparison between the compressor and EQ of the Neve 88RS and the UAD-
Old 27th July 2008
Gear Head

Honors Degree: Comparison between the compressor and EQ of the Neve 88RS and the UAD-

As part of my final research project at SAE Institute Berlin, I made a comparison between the compressor and equalizer section of the analogue Neve 88RS console and the digital emulation of the UAD-1 DSP card. Apart from measurable quantity, the differences that can be heard are of main interest. I prepared some audio examples which are analogously and digitally processed. To take part in the survey, please download them from :

www.online-mixing.de/peer/hoerbeispiele.rar

link to the survey:

Hörvergleich zur Abschlussarbeit „Analoge Kanalzüge und ihre digitalen Emulationen..."

When preparing the samples, I generated equal settings of compressors, equalizers and RMS-levels in order to avoid loudness differences. I highly recommend using a multitrack sequencer to skip and compare between the files directly. For the comparison it is also advisable to take time to distinguish slight differences between the files.

The survey is anonymous and the use of data is strictly confidential. It will not be given to any third persons or parties. If you take part, you agree that the data can be used for research purposes.

At the bottom of the first page you have the option to switch to English language. If you have any questions or problems with the survey, please contact me under the following address:

peer [ät] online-mixing.de

Thanks for your effort,

Peer.
Old 2nd August 2008
Gear Head

hey, this survey is still hot like halle berry :D

greetings from germany
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Head

push push push
Old 8th August 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer View Post
As part of my final research project at SAE Institute Berlin, I made a comparison between the compressor and equalizer section of the analogue Neve 88RS console and the digital emulation of the UAD-1 DSP card. Apart from measurable quantity, the differences that can be heard are of main interest. I prepared some audio examples which are analogously and digitally processed. To take part in the survey, please download them from :

www.online-mixing.de/peer/hoerbeispiele.rar

link to the survey:

Hörvergleich zur Abschlussarbeit „Analoge Kanalzüge und ihre digitalen Emulationen..."

When preparing the samples, I generated equal settings of compressors, equalizers and RMS-levels in order to avoid loudness differences. I highly recommend using a multitrack sequencer to skip and compare between the files directly. For the comparison it is also advisable to take time to distinguish slight differences between the files.

The survey is anonymous and the use of data is strictly confidential. It will not be given to any third persons or parties. If you take part, you agree that the data can be used for research purposes.

At the bottom of the first page you have the option to switch to English language. If you have any questions or problems with the survey, please contact me under the following address:

[email protected]

Thanks for your effort,

Peer.

Hey I did the survey, when & where can I see the results?

Thou it sounded quite close to me.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearz_head View Post
Hey I did the survey, when & where can I see the results?

Thou it sounded quite close to me.
The survey ends this week, next week i can tell the results
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Head

3 days left
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Addict

A bit hard to judge on this, with a better chain the difference would be more obvious.
But thanks in anyway, had a nice lissen.
Btw. I kinda like that base drum sample on drum with eq B heh
Old 11th August 2008
Here for the gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
The survey ends this week, next week i can tell the results
Great looking forward to that.
Old 13th August 2008
Gear Head

imageupload.com

^^ the diagramms

right answers: 1b, 2a, 3a, 4b, 5b, 6a, 7b
Old 13th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
imageupload.com

^^ the diagramms

suprise, suprise
Old 13th August 2008
wow...
the only one that I thought I could really distinguish was the complete song, and I had it wrong! I thought for sure that 'a' was the console. I did really poorly on the Waves SSL console test too!

I've done one similar test: (song a)recorded and mixed a song on my Tascam 388, with no eq or processing and recorded the stereo mix into my firepod. (song b) recorded the sends from each channel(on my 388) separately into the firepod and mixed itb. The ITB mix can't touch the 388 mix, and I've found no plugins that will restore the thickness and depth of the 388 mix. maybe it's because the Firepod has poor conversion, I don't know.
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecasterrok View Post
wow...
the only one that I thought I could really distinguish was the complete song, and I had it wrong! I thought for sure that 'a' was the console. I did really poorly on the Waves SSL console test too!

I've done one similar test: (song a)recorded and mixed a song on my Tascam 388, with no eq or processing and recorded the stereo mix into my firepod. (song b) recorded the sends from each channel(on my 388) separately into the firepod and mixed itb. The ITB mix can't touch the 388 mix, and I've found no plugins that will restore the thickness and depth of the 388 mix. maybe it's because the Firepod has poor conversion, I don't know.
Maybe. On the other hand it "could" be possible when you turn all plug ins to zero and mix again you'll get a better mix, maybe!?

Last edited by Doc No; 14th August 2008 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: Have to learn English.
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Head

I´m trying to understand the codes here....which was the real one on the full song? I thought A was much more pleasing and consistent in the soundscape, the other felt too brittle and nervous.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
imageupload.com

^^ the diagramms

Hi,

great test, thanks for this.
How do i decrypt the answers?

the diagramms are gone...

If you say 6, do you mean example 6 is komplettsong, cause it´s on position 6 of the alphabetical index?
Do you mean "a" is the UAD, so answer 6a means: komplettsong-a is uad?
Old 5th November 2008
Gear Addict
link is not working..? would love to see the results
Old 5th November 2008
Lives for gear

Anyhow, komplettsang A sounds a lot better than the B one almost like it was mastered. Has to be that A=desk.
Old 7th November 2008
Lives for gear

the most obvious one was 1b akustic song..right when it plays you can hear the compressor attack and grab and its sounds like hardware unlike 1a which sounds thin.. althought komplete song got me i liked a for its clarity but thought b was it a sound more itbish.
Old 7th November 2008
Lives for gear

So, where can I find the results? I completed the survey only to find out it is closed...
Old 7th November 2008
Lives for gear

Originally Posted by Peer
imageupload.com

^^ the diagramms

post 9

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search