The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
metal guitar sound : V30 and Greenbacks comparison
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

metal guitar sound : V30 and Greenbacks comparison

Hello guys,

I reamped some guitars for a 5 songs project a few days ago. The band makes a Rammstein meets Meshuggah meets NOFX kind of music lol.

We used an Ibanez RG7620 with Lundgren M7 passive pickups.
I used my 5150 Mk1 on the lead channel with sometimes a Maxon OD-808 tubescreamer on some parts, and a Custom Audio Amplifiers cab loaded with two V30 and two Greenbacks, and miced one of each with a 57 on the "what I thought be right" spot
Mic pres are Great River.

Here is the result :

Celestion V30 speaker (one take per side, each panned 100%) :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/V30.wav
Celestion Greenback speaker (one take per side, each panned 100%) :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/Greenback.wav

I think this is quite cool for a totally raw sound. Anyway :
- the low mids sound a bit flabby but it seemed to be the guitar sounding like that (we tried to reamp a Gibson SG signal with the same amp settings and sounded MUCH more tight in this area, same with Jackson & EMG). We tried to lower the bass on the amp or increasing the "drive" on the Maxon to minimize this, but it ended up in sounding too thin, I think because the guitar doesn't really have a thick and meaty midrange like a Gibson for example. The bass has a pretty good amount of low mids in it so I will highpass the guitars pretty high (100-150 Hz maybe).
- as you hear, the sound has a lot of high end presence, which is not bad, it's just that you like it or not. For the style I think it is quite cool. Presence was cranked to 8,5 or something on the Peavey too, gives a bit of a Pantera feeling.

Greenbacks sound really airy, creamy and wide but does not cut through the mix sufficiently for that kind of music : that may be due to the fact that we began to find the amp sound with the 57 put in front of the V30. When I listen to the V30 only into the mix it sounds really cool, great stereo and midrange grit.
Do you think all that should end up cool with some slight EQ here and there ?
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

My vote goes for the V30 sample. Compared to the greenback I can here a mid boost at around 3-4K and then a gentle roll that makes the tone more agressive and smooth at the same time. Did you try to crank the amplifier up to see what happens ?
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah my vote goes to the V30 too, sounds more "in the mix" to me, but that may be because of the fact that we began searching the tone listening to the 57 in front of the V30.

The amplifier was already quite loud (pregain on 4, postgain on 3), but I heard Greenbacks react nicely if they are pushed more, do you have experience with that ?
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

I don't have greenbacks around here otherwise I would give them I try right now. Cranking the amp very loud is something that I normaly do when I'm searching for a smoother but yet aggressive tone, and when I say "cranking" I mean.. deliberate final amp distortion, like 60-70% of the gain achieved with the preamp and the rest pushing the volume with the final amp. Being in front of a 100Watt head with a 4x12 Cab at that voulme is really insane so I often stick a volume control (and eq) on the effect loop of the amp so I can go to the control room and find the sweet spot. With this procedure I can get rid of most of the unwanted air (especially for solo's I find everything above 12k annoying) and that's what I'd have tried to do with the greenbacks.
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLy_drums View Post
Yeah my vote goes to the V30 too, sounds more "in the mix" to me, but that may be because of the fact that we began searching the tone listening to the 57 in front of the V30.

The amplifier was already quite loud (pregain on 4, postgain on 3), but I heard Greenbacks react nicely if they are pushed more, do you have experience with that ?

Doesn't seem to be "THAT" loud , looking at my settings ( pre 4 , Post 7-8 ) heh
Old 25th April 2008
Lives for gear

You could always do what I did.........bought a cab (VHT) with 2 Vintage 30s and 2 Greenbacks. Sounds great to me.........
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLy_drums View Post
Hello guys,

I reamped some guitars for a 5 songs project a few days ago. The band makes a Rammstein meets Meshuggah meets NOFX kind of music lol.

We used an Ibanez RG7620 with Lundgren M7 passive pickups.
I used my 5150 Mk1 on the lead channel with sometimes a Maxon OD-808 tubescreamer on some parts, and a Custom Audio Amplifiers cab loaded with two V30 and two Greenbacks, and miced one of each with a 57 on the "what I thought be right" spot
Mic pres are Great River.

Here is the result :

Celestion V30 speaker (one take per side, each panned 100%) :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/V30.wav
Celestion Greenback speaker (one take per side, each panned 100%) :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/Greenback.wav

I think this is quite cool for a totally raw sound. Anyway :
- the low mids sound a bit flabby but it seemed to be the guitar sounding like that (we tried to reamp a Gibson SG signal with the same amp settings and sounded MUCH more tight in this area, same with Jackson & EMG). We tried to lower the bass on the amp or increasing the "drive" on the Maxon to minimize this, but it ended up in sounding too thin, I think because the guitar doesn't really have a thick and meaty midrange like a Gibson for example. The bass has a pretty good amount of low mids in it so I will highpass the guitars pretty high (100-150 Hz maybe).
- as you hear, the sound has a lot of high end presence, which is not bad, it's just that you like it or not. For the style I think it is quite cool. Presence was cranked to 8,5 or something on the Peavey too, gives a bit of a Pantera feeling.

Greenbacks sound really airy, creamy and wide but does not cut through the mix sufficiently for that kind of music : that may be due to the fact that we began to find the amp sound with the 57 put in front of the V30. When I listen to the V30 only into the mix it sounds really cool, great stereo and midrange grit.
Do you think all that should end up cool with some slight EQ here and there ?
Would you mind reposting the clips?
I'm in the market for a guitar cab right now and that would help.
thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search