The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avedis MA5 vs. API 512c Direct Recorded Rock Guitars Comparison
Old 14th April 2008
Gear Addict

Avedis MA5 vs. API 512c Direct Recorded Rock Guitars Comparison

Hey guys, finally got my Avedis MA5 and my friend's API 512c pres. I don't know what do you all do when you get new gear but I personally improvise whatever comes to mind and record to compare the new results.. heh

I just did a rock guitar improv using same settings. All with raw signal (no EQ, Compression or effects), two tracks for guitar hard left and right, one for bass and 12 tracks for my standard unprocessed drums:

Custom Ibanez w. Active EMG's > Mesa Mark IV > Palmer Speaker Simulator PDI-03 > 512c or MA5 > RME FF800

For this particular situation I think the API 512c worked better letting the drums cut through the mix. What do you think:

NEW LINK AT: Digital Musicians » Blog Archive » Avedis MA5 vs. API 512c vs. Pacifica P1 Preamps DI Rock Guitars

1. Guitar and Bass on MA5

2. Guitar on API 512c, Bass on MA5

3. Guitar and Bass on API 512c, different improv.

I can post the same settings with my A-Designs P1 if you'd like.

**EDIT - I turned up the bass on all of them so you can hear the MA5 on bass but sorry no processing or mixing so the bass its a bit muddy

Last edited by DreamSound; 23rd December 2008 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: Use the new link as the old links won't work!!
Old 14th April 2008
Gear Guru

The MA5 Guitar stuff sounds real, has great life, however i cannot hear the bass period in any of the tunes.
I think it could be mixed better before making any statement. imo
But what you did with the guitar/MA5 , put it this way i can tell that its a MA5.

btw i have not tired a MA5 on bass.
Old 14th April 2008
Gear Addict

Yeah P1 would be cool if you have the possibility to add!
Will check the files out as soon as I'm at home.
Old 14th April 2008
Gear Nut

Thank you!

P1 would be nice too!!!
Old 14th April 2008
Gear Guru

I have already did my own MA5/P-1 A/B test, the MA5 excels far better on guitars and vocals, the bass i cannot speak for, i have not had time with any other instruments.

Do the test yourself to decide for feelings between the 2.heh
Old 14th April 2008
Lives for gear

the p1 rock them all on guitars.

i´m a little disappointed about the ma5. it´s ok on some sources, but i thought it would be near to a 1073...

the 512c really suck for my needs compared to p1, mono gama and lachapell 583s.
Old 14th April 2008
Gear Addict

A-Designs P1 !!

OK guys below is your request for the Pacifica:

4. A-Designs P1 version, MA5 on bass (NEW LINK AT: Digital Musicians » Blog Archive » Avedis MA5 vs. API 512c vs. Pacifica P1 Preamps DI Rock Guitars)

I'll be more than happy to post other requests

Last edited by DreamSound; 23rd December 2008 at 12:29 AM.. Reason: New Link Posted
Old 14th April 2008
Lives for gear

ouch the P1 really kills on guitar.....not very fond of the MA5.
the API sounded more like a record too.

Thank you very much for the test..
Old 15th April 2008
Gear Addict

Umm... the M5 Guitar sounds very cool and "in the face". The API is a bit smother and easier to listen. P1 has more highs than the others and the sound feels a bit more hifi and not as tight in the mids/lows.
Bass is hard to judge cause the performences are very different.
Generally for modern sound i'd go with the M5 for oldschool the API is the way to go. P1 maybe for intro uses heh

if you want to make some more I'd suggest a bass comparison (only bass playing)
Some drum comparison with thight kicks and snares would be also interesting :D

Thanks
Old 19th April 2008
Gear Addict

Zuewi, right on, that's what I hear too. It's funny when you listen to a clip so many times you can't hear that much of a difference but after five days I hear CLEAR differences on each one.

I will make some bass per your request soon. I'd like to do some vox comparisons too.

My pleasure guys
Old 20th April 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks for sharing the clips. It's really hard for me to get past the speaker simulator box though. It just sounds so fuzzy and cheap compared to miking a real cabinet. Do people actually use those things on records?

Brad
Old 20th April 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah... I'd love to hear an SM57 pressed into the grill cloth straight in... and no bass... just to really isolate variables.
Old 12th May 2008
Gear Nut

the mix matters

i hope to try the MA-5 soon....i gotta say, though, i LOVE my 512c's
Old 12th May 2008
Gear Guru

for guitars the API is the weaker link on this shootout and my own with P-1s and MA5s, its just not the best preamp for guitars, it can be thin sounding. However the OSAs are much better then API for me. Better sounding harmonics.
Old 22nd October 2008
Gear Addict

Yes the API does sound 'thinner' BUT that to me can also be an advantage so everything else comes through. I gave the API back to my buddy Zorran but here is a video I made two days ago using the Pacifica with direct recorded guitars:

Digital Musicians » Blog Archive » Silent Outcry (Original Song)
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSound View Post
OK guys below is your request for the Pacifica:

4. A-Designs P1 version, MA5 on bass (http://www.atilanoart.com/dreamsound2/4adesignsp1.mp3)

I'll be more than happy to post other requests

one vote here for the 4adesignsp1.mp3
Old 26th October 2008
Lives for gear

sick video

video was awesome bro can't wait to hear the vox

what pre did you use for the v-drums?
Old 31st October 2008
Gear Addict

For the V-Drums on the video I used BFD 1.5 with Deluxe drums. Now I'm using BFD2 with other expansion packs and they sound killer bro. I haven't got to the vocals yet because I've been working on drums samples and mixing for other songs but as soon as I get to it I'll let you know
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

i like the ma5 sound on the guitars. p1 sounded a bit too bright. ma5 sounded colored in the right way.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search