The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AT4040 drum clips
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

AT4040 drum clips

Hi all,
just got me a pair of AT4040 yesterday. Decided to test them out as overhead on a drum set. I set them sort of Glyn technique, with the first one hangin' above the snare, the other equidistant from the snare but on the floor tom side. The drum set is a Gretsch Catalina Rock with 26" kick, 12" tom, 16" & 18" floor, 14"x6,5"(?) snare, Zildjian cymbals all around (the ride is an old 22" from the 70s, quite dark and sort of jazzy). Drummer is a bummer and that's me.

Two clips, one flat the other lightly EQed (URS N) and compressed (don't remember, about 1.5, 2dB GR).
Recorded with D&R Triton pres into Logic 8. Room is around 40sqm with hardwood floor and absorbent ceiling. Diffusion on the back of the drummer.

I normally use Oktavas MC012 for overheads and lately tested SE S3A. The latter being completely useless in this application in my opinion. With this setup I'm always looking for kick and toms too not only snare and cymbals, maybe you have different taste.

Enjoy and tell me what you think.
Attached Files

OVER 4040 RAW.mp3 (1.97 MB, 1707 views)

OVER 4040 EQ+COMP.mp3 (1.97 MB, 1455 views)

Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Wow, 61 views, a few downloads and no reply....
Old 27th February 2008
Gear Maniac

I think they sound great! You have a very nice sounding drum kit and with these mikes and setup it sounds very big, warm and nice to me. One more mic in front of the bassdrum and your done. It would be interesting with some comparison to other mikes like your Octava's if possible?
Welcome to Mikael Wikman Drumstudio
Old 27th February 2008
Gear Head

Sounds great to me. I may be just being dense, but how many other mics were being used apart from the AT 4040's? Also, you mention you usually use the MK012's, do you prefer those or the 4040's for overheads?

I'm looking at getting a stereo pair of something for upright piano and overheads. I'd be very happy if I could get drum sounds like this.
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks Faderix & Trousers, you only hear the 4040s in the clips I posted. The drumset was fully miked up as follow:

Kick, D12 + DIY Subkick
Snare, M201
Bottom snare, 57
Tom, 545
Floor 1, 545
Floor 2, 57

I found the 4040 to be quite similar to Oktavas especially in the lower range and much muhc much better than those crappy SE3A from the mids up. I'm still experimenting with it but they sound pleasent to my hears. I'm just anxious to record a real drummer. I'm so tired of bangin' on drums just to test things out, especially because I'm no drummer and it annoys the hell out of me to run from control room to tracking room back and forth endlessly.
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderix View Post
I think they sound great! You have a very nice sounding drum kit and with these mikes and setup it sounds very big, warm and nice to me. One more mic in front of the bassdrum and your done. It would be interesting with some comparison to other mikes like your Octava's if possible?
Welcome to Mikael Wikman Drumstudio
I'll have to wait to test the 4040s along with the Oktavas because one of them died last week. It's no big deal 'cause I was goin' to send them to Michael Joly for an upgrade. As soon as I'll have them back I'll give it a try. So far my comparisons has been only by hear. I know the Oktavas quite well after using them for the last 6 years.

Mikael, I took a look at your website and it sounds damn interesting. I got a couple customers that might be interested. Let me see if I can work it out and hopefully I'll contact you in the near future.
Old 27th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Sounds great! Thanks' for checking my website. Looking forward to hear from you about some drumming.
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Sounds really interesting and usable. Nice.
Old 27th February 2008
Gear Addict

The mics sound good, but I think that's mainly because the kit seems to sound nice too. Not too much highs though, but nice.

The stereo information isn't very good in my opinion, kick mainly on the left side, and snare a bit to the right, I wouldn't go for it that way.
Old 28th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibvee View Post
The mics sound good, but I think that's mainly because the kit seems to sound nice too. Not too much highs though, but nice.

The stereo information isn't very good in my opinion, kick mainly on the left side, and snare a bit to the right, I wouldn't go for it that way.
The kit sounds is fair at best, and the drummer sucks big time.

I found the 4040s to be not hyped at all on the upper frequencies range and that was a nice surprise. Compared to the SE3A I'm testing, well there was no comparison at all. The SE lacks so much bottom that you barely hear the tom and floor toms in the big stereo picture, teh cymbals gets thin ad hyped in a very unpleasant way....

Have to say that so far I'm very happy with AT. I recently got a 4047 too and that's a very usable mic too. Might pull the trigger on a 4050 too.
Old 28th February 2008
Gear Addict

The SE's indeed have 'special' highs. I always call it chinese 'highs'. Although they make some fine mics which can be really the right mic for the job sometimes (I own the 5600a MKII), I often wish for a less bright mic. The 4040 seem to do this really nice. I believe they're not that expensive either.
Old 3rd March 2008
Gear Nut

i think your snare is a little to the side. not a bad thing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search