The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What is this noise?
Old 24th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Angry What is this noise?

How about a thread where we post the noises, hums, and anomalies that we're having problems with, I think it would be extremely helpful If there was a database of audio samples of these problems with possible causes and solutions, people could listen to examples until they find one that sounds most like what they're experiencing and start narrowing down the problem...I'll start first!!

I have this noise coming from every speaker in my Brooklyn Apt. I've learned to deal with it as far being the little bit of editing I do at home. I've tried ground-lifting and that did nothing. It comes out my monitors, my practice bass amp, and home stereo.

I recently had to do some V/O work and to my frustration the noise was all over the recording. The file was recorded from my Heil PR30 into my mbox2 into my g4 tower onto an external drive.

Thanks in advance to anyone that want to weigh in.
Attached Files

BUZZ-1.wav (1.37 MB, 130 views)

Old 5th March 2008
Gear Nut

PETSAFE dog collar transmitters (the unit that sits in your house that talks to the dog's collar) puts out a huge 18690Hz signal that is easily picked up by high impedance guitars, unbalanced audio lines and some microphones. It took me a long time to figure that out. I finally put 200' feet of cable on a high impedence mic and walked around the house. We have two units, one at each end of the house, so I had a signal big enough to trip compressors.

If your close neighbor has one you could be affected.

By the BTW (monk...) that signal is different from the 15750 hz signal your TV could be outputting from the horizontal oscillator.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search