The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
General sonic quality and what do you hear ?
Old 9th February 2008
Gear Maniac

General sonic quality and what do you hear ?

Here are 3 files of the same tune :

http://www.harmo.com/sons/rip/07r.MP3

is the rough tracking direct ITB no processing at all. All faders to O so no real balance, just a few pans.

http://www.harmo.com/sons/rip/07mi.MP3

is the mix

http://www.harmo.com/sons/rip/07m.MP3

is the master.

if you have any artistic and mix, master, tracking comments I'll be glad to hear them but my main question is :

based on those three files what do you think could be improved in the overall gear or acoustics. I'd be glad to give comments after some people answer such as what gear was used. So please just shoot out and give your impressions sound quality wise about pre, mics, comp, converters, acoustics. It was recorded and tracked in the same studio and mastered somewhere else.

I'm not directly related to the band so no problem about the music, they wanted it loud, they are not pro but we tried to the do it the best way.

Thanks !
Old 9th February 2008
Gear Nut

In my opinion the weakest thing is the hazy bass guitar. Maybe the bass strings were not fresh? Beside of that, it sounds very good to my ears!
Old 9th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Other opinions please

Other opinions please
Old 10th February 2008
Gear Addict

Quick first impression....

A lot of potential here...recognizing that these are just mp3's, etc,etc:

"Tracking" mp3 sounds hazy. Were the drums tuned? The snare sounds like a dead shoebox. Also, where is the stereo separation and 3-D soundstage? As well, I don't think the drum intro was nailed...it was good, but had some dodgy moments. It should kick ass and flow right into what follows without attracting any performance considerations.

"Mix" mp3 sounds the best -- snare a bit livelier and you were able to EQ more definition out of the guitar tracks and vocals, but it then suffers from a kind of thin haze, a lack of air/mass and dimensionality.

"Master" appears slammed to (and beyond) the max, making everything sound harsh and one-dimensional.

Suggestions: The drum sound is the foundation -- get it sounding right in the room and mic accordingly to capture that during tracking. Go direct on bass--and get some fresh strings. Need some definition in the highs and lows.
Smaller amps driven might be better for the guitars-- what you tracked sounded muddy, driven but thin.

See if you can rely less on EQ fixes and more on getting it down right during tracking. Think of EQ more as subtractive rather than additive and you get my drift. If you are always punching things up that aren't adequate in the track, in my experience you pay for it in other ways.

I have no clue as to what you are doing or using, but I think this project is worth an investment in time. Go back to square one and get the sound right from the gitgo. Gives you more to work with as, famously, you can't fix everything in the mix.

And, as an aside, watch your levels during tracking-- in the digital domain, don't go anywhere near the red. "Yellow is the new red."

This has the added benefit of giving you some dynamic headroom in the mastering phase.
Old 10th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Thanks,

The rough mix is not a rough mix it's faders to O and a few pans.
The guitar was recorded more brighter than what you hear but the mix of mics makes it darker than it really was.

True the bass should have been brighter.

Guys are not pro.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search