The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Peluso P12 and 22 251 comparison.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Peluso P12 and 22 251 comparison.

Which one do you think is which? Both recorded mic - great river - AD (Ramsa/Panasonic) - Samplitude 10.

Which one do you prefer?

Files are 192bit .mp3's
Attached Files

Female 1.mp3 (1.08 MB, 6017 views)

Female 2.mp3 (1.08 MB, 5830 views)

Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

I prefer the 22 251 (Female 2). Far more natural without that sizzling top of the p12.

(Update: turns out, it appears, the mics are actually the other way around...)
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear
number 2 for me too. Number 1 sounds thin and harsh on this voice.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Keep them coming!
Old 24th January 2008
Gear Addict

Female 2 for me.
Although I can very well imagine female 1 to be better in the whole mix from the start (without EQing that is). That of course depends on the mix.
Old 24th January 2008
Gear Addict

Both sound good, but I prefer number one. Sounded more lifelike on my $29.99 computer speakers.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

on my headphones, i like female 2
i'm also guessing its the 22 251
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Well folks...

Female 1 is the 22 251

Female 2 is the P12

I personally think the Peluso line mics is really misrepresented on gearslutz. Probably like a lot of things, it's from people that haven't really listened in person to the mics. That being said the 22 251 is more bright but you can't say that it doesn't also add some more low mids to go with the brightness. In my book Bright can be a good thing, but harsh is a bad thing and I don't find it harsh. Now the P12 is more scooped but I will say that it does have more presence peak and sometimes those can be difficult when adding Eq. So I would characterize the 251 as being more bright but it is a much broader and wider Q so it effects more frequency bands. The P12 has a much more narrow bump at somewhere around 10K or 12K...this sometimes can add a bit of sizzle. That all being said I liked the 251 but bought the P12 first. I have every intention of going back and getting the 251 but I will shoot it out with a 2247 and 2247LE before I do. This will be a bit but I will post my results here when I do.

I have some drum clips as a FOK with these mics but I didn't post because I am not a drummer and I have found that a drummer makes all the difference in the world when choosing mics for a kit.

Thanks all and hope this helps someone.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunard View Post
Well folks...

Female 1 is the 22 251

Female 2 is the P12

I personally think the Peluso line mics is really misrepresented on gearslutz.
I think people get mics switchered around in their shootouts postings. They play a shell game on themselves as well as everyone else. (It might not be you doing it, it may have been prior shootouts that did it.)

Either that or Peluso's consistency is all over the map.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
I think people get mics switchered around in their shootouts postings. They play a shell game on themselves as well as everyone else. (It might not be you doing it, it may have been prior shootouts that did it.)

Either that or Peluso's consistency is all over the map.
I can understand this. However I was very careful as to which mics were which and cut some vox again later and all clips show this. They are different but 1 is definitely 251 and 2 is the 12. I can say that I hear the P12 as it is represented by Peluso...the graph shows 1 to 2K being scooped and a little boost around 12K...that's what mic 2 sounds like to me. My surprise was the 251, from what I have read on GS I would have thought this mic is really the least favorable. I personally liked it the best for my taste (I like mid range on a vox) but I needed something a bit different. However, I can say with great certainty that the mics in the clips are both what they are listed as.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Well I've just given up on Peluso mics in general.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I've just given up on Peluso mics in general.
Because of this one shootout? Do you have a Peluso, do you like it? I'll take your 22 251 off your hands cheap! Better yet I will trade you one of my AT4060's...I've got two. I think the examples sound way different but I think they are what Peluso advertises them to be. I am in Nashville and next Thursday the same singer comes in again. I will try my new P12 (not the demo I used), a 4060 and anything anyone else wants to give me for the day. I don't really want to try more than 5 mics...she might charge me for a whole other song! I don't really have a clean pre just Great River MP2NV, API 3124, and A Design Pacifica. Let me know.
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

No not because of this shootout but because of the sum total of them. I can't really get a fix on how any of these mics sound, and most of them have this scoop and sizzle thing (and slower, "sweet" transient response). The P12 clearly comes out ahead here, but it is unnatural as well...the low mids are kinda twisted up in a bunch.

I have a 4060 as well, but mostly I use the M149 now on vocals and things, and the Mojave MA-200 on acoustic instruments when I want a fast tube LDC on them. Retubing the 4060 can help smooth it out quite a bit.

I'm not in Nashville otherwise I'd be happy to hang out. Thanks for the shootout.
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

I own a 251 and P12, and use the 251 almost every time over the p12. The p12 is a bit too bright for me, and scooped in the mids compared to the 251. With the numerous singers I have recorded with both, I preferred the 251 in every instance. Great mic, though. Well worth the money in my opinion.
Old 25th January 2008
Well first off there's nothing scooped about a 2247. Second did you ever think that a 192
encoded mp3 might not be the best representation. Personally I own a 2247 and it gets used 99 % of the time on lead vocals. I would like to check out the p12 and 22 251
for myself. Anyone in NY got them
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

I agree that a 192 mp3 isn't the best...but if all are at 192 I think it's a fair shake. The only reason I posted was because the 22 251 doesn't get much love here on GS and it is often characterized as harsh. I just didn't find this in my humble test.
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
No not because of this shootout but because of the sum total of them. I can't really get a fix on how any of these mics sound, and most of them have this scoop and sizzle thing (and slower, "sweet" transient response). The P12 clearly comes out ahead here, but it is unnatural as well...the low mids are kinda twisted up in a bunch.

When I put these into protools and balanced the levels (1 is a few db louder overall) they weren't as different as I originally thought. I don't think either mic gets the "esses" right and I find that annoying. I prefer #2, but only barely. I wouldn't use #1. IMO, just not great mic choices for this singer.

-R
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
When I put these into protools and balanced the levels (1 is a few db louder overall) they weren't as different as I originally thought. I don't think either mic gets the "esses" right and I find that annoying. I prefer #2, but only barely. I wouldn't use #1. IMO, just not great mic choices for this singer.

-R
I couldn't agree more. This singer has that Mava Staples type resonance and I think a darker mic LDC or a RE20, SM7 might be better. Hell my 4060 might be better for her.
Old 1st February 2008
Gear Maniac

I agree that neither mic is the best choice for this singer but I wouldnt use an RE20 or and SM7. I would try a plain old U87 or the 2247 LE on her voice.
The 22-251 works well on many female Vox tho and I do like it over the P1.
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk View Post
I agree that neither mic is the best choice for this singer but I wouldnt use an RE20 or and SM7. I would try a plain old U87 or the 2247 LE on her voice.
The 22-251 works well on many female Vox tho and I do like it over the P1.
I really want to try a 2247LE. I think if I had it and the P12 I could cover alot of bases. I also have AT4060's as well.
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really want to try a 2247LE. I think if I had it and the P12 I could cover alot of bases. I also have AT4060's as well.
I really don't suggest it...they don't sound very far apart compared to how any of the Peluso LDC's sound vs. other brands. Most manufacturers have a "house sound" and Pelusos certainly do..."sweet" transients, scoop and sizzle from what I've heard. You would be much better off expanding your locker into other manufacturers rather than getting several variants of one line. Just pick the most useful member of that line, if there is one, and move on to the next.
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really don't suggest it...they don't sound very far apart compared to how any of the Peluso LDC's sound vs. other brands. Most manufacturers have a "house sound" and Pelusos certainly do..."sweet" transients, scoop and sizzle from what I've heard. You would be much better off expanding your locker into other manufacturers rather than getting several variants of one line. Just pick the most useful member of that line, if there is one, and move on to the next.
So what would you recommend for a 47 sound under $2K?
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
So what would you recommend for a 47 sound under $2K?
You might be able to find a Neumann M147 for that. Some people don't like that mic, it has a big proximity effect (sorta like the 47, huh ) and isn't particularly versatile, but it works. An M149 is a big step up and you might swing one for $2500 or so used. That's what I use. Above there pricewise is the Wunder CM7-GT which is a far closer 47 clone than the 2247 certainly. There is also the Red B7/Blue Cactus but I'm not fond of those either. You might find things from Gefell that work.

I'm not really excited about any LDCs at the moment. I'm kinda spent on that topic. The M149 plus some EQ/compression gets the job done for me on vocals.

At this point I might just bite the bullet and order one of these if I couldn't find a real one in good shape.
Old 1st February 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I agree.. between the three you should be able to cover allot of bases.

In the end you want to put up a mic that’s going to give the sound that says "there it is.. that’s how i want it captured" Doesn’t matter if its the most popular mic that costs a gazillion dollars or the Mic everyone says is sh#t that costs $25.

I have both the 22-251 and the 2247 LE and find they sound very different from each other. If you have the opportunity to try before you buy, I think you will see instantly what I mean. Try both on this singer and post the results, Im pretty sure the 2247le would work well on her voice.

I also have an e47, u67, p12, c12 reissue, 4050, u87ai, and others that i like very much but i find myself using the 22-251 on soft sweet airy female vox the most.
Does the 2247 LE and the e47 sound close to an original U47? I have no idea as I have never tried one but they both give me the sound I’m looking for and that’s all i care about.

Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk View Post
I agree.. between the three you should be able to cover allot of bases.

In the end you want to put up a mic that’s going to give the sound that says "there it is.. that’s how i want it captured" Doesn’t matter if its the most popular mic that costs a gazillion dollars or the Mic everyone says is sh#t that costs $25.

I have both the 22-251 and the 2247 LE and find they sound very different from each other. If you have the opportunity to try before you buy, I think you will see instantly what I mean. Try both on this singer and post the results, Im pretty sure the 2247le would work well on her voice.

I also have an e47, u67, p12, c12 reissue, 4050, u87ai, and others that i like very much but i find myself using the 22-251 on soft sweet airy female vox the most.
Does the 2247 LE and the e47 sound close to an original U47? I have no idea as I have never tried one but they both give me the sound I’m looking for and that’s all i care about.

I really want to try the lawson 47 as well. Where do you find yourself using the p12?
Old 1st February 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I really want to try the lawson 47 as well. Where do you find yourself using the p12?
Dont have a Lawson so I can comment on that one.

Well I bought the C12 before I bought the p1 then a friend of mine bought a p1 and wanted to AB it with my c12. When we did that we heard a difference right away but couldn’t decide which one we like better. We tested it on his voice which is kinda of a Jonny cash style sound. I ended up buying one as I thought It would give me an alternative if my c12 wasn’t quite cutting it. My thought was if I found myself using way more than the C12 I could sell the c12 as it is a fairly expensive mic compared to the p1. In the end I kept it cause I found myself using it about 40% of the time over the c12.

To answer your question, when I hear a male vocal that has kinda of a low mid thing going on that I want to capture but not have to predominant Ill try the C12. If it is close but is lacking in the air at the top ill try the p1 and it usually works for me.
Since I have both I can afford to be picky but if I could only have 1, I would take the p1 and save some scratch. You and others may hear things differently tho so choose the mic that you think best suites your source. Bare in mind that the pre you use changes things somewhat as well.

All the best
Old 2nd February 2008
if you're looking for a 47-ish mic try the AK47. A bit brighter but very close.
Old 25th February 2008
Gear Nut

feck

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I own a 251 and P12, and use the 251 almost every time over the p12. The p12 is a bit too bright for me, and scooped in the mids compared to the 251. With the numerous singers I have recorded with both, I preferred the 251 in every instance. Great mic, though. Well worth the money in my opinion.
Do you have the recordings to hear the differencesof the c12 and the 251?
I'm looking around for an all purpose mic. I'm a baritone and I'm looking for a well balanced mic that really has detail in the mids. Mainly acoustic recordings. Mainly looking for smooth mids.
Old 12th March 2008
Gear Addict

Female 2 !!! (22 251 natural & more airy sound)
Old 11th February 2009

I was on a shootout in a local studio and they were testing Peluso 2247SE vs Neuman from TLM series to M149, I own the M149 btw. All in all, Peluso completly destroyed Neumanns, ALL OF THEM!, then a Brauner VM1 came into scene and Peluso outshined, but hey it's 7000$ vs 1600$, I think Peluso makes awesome mics and they're really underated, Although I must agree with peeder on that they kinda sound alike, sizzle but (to me) on a pleasant way. I'd get a different brand if necessary, but not based on the same capsule.

I'd take Pelusos over the Neumanns I heard anyday, especially the M149, Horrible, cold, digital sounding, lacking of character mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search