The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drawmer 1968ME & Speck ASC-T - light mix-bus compression & EQ (WAV's posted)
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Drawmer 1968ME & Speck ASC-T - light mix-bus compression & EQ (WAV's posted)

I'm posting these samples which were originally created in reply to this thread, where the Original Poster provided a short loop and invited us to process it with the Drawmer 1968ME.

I think the OP has long since gone AWOL, but I thought maybe the loops I did might be useful to you for evaluative purposes.

My I/O chain here is Metric Halo 2882 D-A >> Speck ASC-T EQ >> Drawmer 1968ME >> Metric Halo 2882 A-D

I set the Drawmer more or less to how the OP wanted it - ie about 2dB of reduction, relatively slow attack and fast release and +2dB of make-up gain. "Big' switch remained off.

The Speck ASC-T pair were connected via the XLR's which means the transformers are active even when the EQ circuit is bypassed and you can clearly hear they already warm up and add a bit of weight to the low end. So the fairest test of what the Drawmer alone is doing is really Vanilla Chain vs Comp1968. The EQ I added was extremely minimal - couple of cuts at 500 and 1k - you're really hearing more of the circuit than the EQ!

Original.wav The original file - unaltered by me
Vanilla Chain.wav Metric Halo 2882 D-A >> Speck ASC-T EQ BYPASS >> Drawmer 1968ME BYPASS >> Metric Halo 2882 A-D
Comp1968.wav Metric Halo 2882 D-A >> Speck ASC-T EQ BYPASS >> Drawmer 1968ME ENGAGED >> Metric Halo 2882 A-D
SpeckEQ.wav Metric Halo 2882 D-A >> Speck ASC-T EQ ENGAGED >> Drawmer 1968ME BYPASS >> Metric Halo 2882 A-D
SpeckEQ>Comp1968.wav Metric Halo 2882 D-A >> Speck ASC-T EQ ENGAGED >> Drawmer 1968ME ENGAGED >> Metric Halo 2882 A-D
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Nice!
The original sounds very weedy after listening to the final version..
I do like the what the 1968ME is doing.
Sounds like something I should invest in
Old 1st November 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for the test!
Couldn't dig the results that much cause i find the Original Wave a little muddy.
But I can hear and imagine what the gear is doing to the audio.
Old 5th January 2009
Gear Head
Hello James

Is there any chance you could put those sound files back up? I'd love to hear them.
Old 8th January 2009
Lives for gear

Links Fixed!
Old 9th January 2009
Lives for gear

Question

this test file has too much odd harmonics for my taste.
... use the dry file in the tubetech tube compressor shoot out,
and try to A/B

apogee vs. mh
tube tech vs. dramwer

also the gyraff & gml files vs. Speck ASC-T
Old 9th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuewi View Post
Couldn't dig the results that much cause i find the Original Wave a little muddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2012 View Post
this test file has too much odd harmonics for my taste.
Yes - I agree! Just to confirm though THIS IS NOT MY ORIGINAL LOOP!

As explained in Post #1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
I'm posting these samples which were originally created in reply to this thread, where the Original Poster provided a short loop and invited us to process it with the Drawmer 1968ME. I set the Drawmer more or less to how the OP wanted it - ie about 2dB of reduction, relatively slow attack and fast release and +2dB of make-up gain. "Big' switch remained off.
But thanks for pointing me in the direction of those far more revealing dry samples - I'll ask those guys if I can maybe use these files in some tests of my own!

The Drawmer and the Speck certainly are deserving of much better source material to show off their capabilities!
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Head

I was only using cheap HD433 headphone but I could not hear much of a difference in any of the clips. Maybe I am too new at this. Can someone share a difference they can hear e.g. the stereo spread might have changed a little for the snare in one of the takes.
I think I can hear the hi-hats being tamed a little in the last one and I think the original has maintained the transient response of the snare but I could just be imagining this as it all sounds quite the same.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search