The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
sexy chocolate!!
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

sexy chocolate!! (actual protools session)

sexy chocolate!! sexy chocolate!! heh LMAO "that boy's good"

Preamp Mic comparison. @ 44.1k/16bit.

Aurora GTQ2mkIII(thanks Tthumbsup), API 3124+, Avalon VT-737spII(Mullard tubes)
Soundelux U99, Neumann U87ai, AKG C414B-XLS,
Akai MPC2500, Yamaha Motif ES6
Digi-002r, Apogee Rosetta 800, mogami cables

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QWU5AHBY

This is only a comparison, nothing else. I have always believed that audio samples may be better than an opinions. But having them both would be great too. Folks get to compare their own thoughts abbout the actual sound with others. Protools session of audio from the MPC 2500 and Motif ES6 into the front panel instrument inputs of the 3 preamps with a single TS to TS cable(unbalanced).
Click the link and wait for the countdown on the webpage(top right). You may have to close "X" the ad that pops up. The download link is right behind it exactly where the count down was. Unzip the file and take a listen. No Protools, just import the audio files into your DAW, there are all labeled. post what YOU think.

oh and I almost forgot..... sexy chocolate!!fuuck heh

additional link http://www.sendspace.com/file/ddnyv6
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

oh, I have to find that ground loop. but this is only a temp setup for the time being.
Old 1st March 2006
Gear Nut

good look nuk!
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Bar-b-do-bar, Bar-b-do-bar, beep-bop-bom-bar.....

GTQ sounds nice

Props for sharing man.
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat
Bar-b-do-bar, Bar-b-do-bar, beep-bop-bom-bar.....

GTQ sounds nice

Props for sharing man.

sexy chocolate!! sign that boy!
Old 1st March 2006
Gear Addict

Damn... and I always thought it was Sexual Chocolate...
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface_finsta
Damn... and I always thought it was Sexual Chocolate...

I'm his brother, Roy Watson...heh Sexual is into movies now.
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

Which pre is number one and which pre amp is number two?
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

don't know what you mean. Plus all the audio files are labeled(named) with what gear was used.
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

When I download the files the first file is labeled _01 and the second _02.. Although the third file is labeled gtq..
bass_01.wav
bass_02.wav
bass-gtq_01.wav
c414_01.wav
c414_03.wav
c414-gtq_01.wav
motif_01.wav
motif_02.wav
motif-gtq_01.wav
mpc_01.wav
mpc_02.wav
mpc-gtq_01.wav
u87_01.wav
u87_02.wav
u87-gtq_01.wav
u99_01.wav
u99_02.wav
u99-gtq_01.wav
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.N.s
When I download the files the first file is labeled _01 and the second _02.. Although the third file is labeled gtq..
bass_01.wav
bass_02.wav
bass-gtq_01.wav
c414_01.wav
c414_03.wav
c414-gtq_01.wav
motif_01.wav
motif_02.wav
motif-gtq_01.wav
mpc_01.wav
mpc_02.wav
mpc-gtq_01.wav
u87_01.wav
u87_02.wav
u87-gtq_01.wav
u99_01.wav
u99_02.wav
u99-gtq_01.wav
dam. converting the session copy from 7.0 to 5.1-6.9 must have changed the file names. I'll make a note.
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

you can see what the gtq is. all the _01's are the Vt-737 and the _02's are the API 3124

this is a pic of the 7.0 session
Attached Thumbnails
sexy chocolate!!-preamp.jpg  
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

Cool!

Thanks a lot Nuk...

Nice!
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

Nice!!

Very cool Nuk, thanks.
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

ok folks, what do your ears have to say?

my 2cent:

the pres were similar. the 737sp....LOL I don't know where the "It Sucks" opinions come from. the mullard tubes only added a bit of low end and opened the top up more.

the 3124+ had more punch on drums, but the GTQ2 had a bit more detail overall.

the c414bxls was close to the u87ai. the u99 sounded smoother on the 3124+ I thought the u87/737 combo was nice. i have too take another listen for more comments.
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

I also have the vt737sp and it certainly does not suck, it's just overhyped (the compressor does suck) so I found that pairing it with a Distressor was a big improvement.

I do use my Neve 1073dpd as the pre of choice but my Avalon gets it's fair share of use.
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

i have to babyface mod, that gives tha compressor a faster attack. it sounds smooth to me.
Old 2nd March 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
i have to babyface mod, that gives tha compressor a faster attack. it sounds smooth to me.

yep, that babyface mod makes a world of difference on the 737 compressor.
Old 3rd March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Who does this mod?
Old 3rd March 2006
Lives for gear

Avalon makes nice pre amps. I also like the u87 and 737 combo. I understand why people debate on the price tag-considering its high end gear. Compare a 737 to mackie's pre amps, then compare a 737 to an Art pre.. If it's not better than they sucks! For the price, its built like a tank and it looks like a million bucks. Everyone that comes to the studio, keeps looking at the 737 like its a trophy. The 737 does not have that in your face sound or color the signal too much. It's all about taste! I like the 3124 on drums, but it has more of a rock feel. The GTQ2 is a amazing pre, kind of reminds me of the great river or neve pres. Honestly, after hearing so much high end gear form Avalon, Neve, Manley, Api, Focusrite Blue/Red, Great River, BA, BA, BA and etc! I'm not really that amazed from high end in comparison to low end gear. High end gear usually sounds good. I'm mostly impress when low end gear or plug-ins-comparing wise-give the high end gear a run for their money. %$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$$$$$...

Although I always wondered about the GQT2 sound and how it stood up again other pre amps...
Old 3rd March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riad
Who does this mod?

http://www3.telus.net/thewitt/index.html
Old 3rd March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool, thanks.

Did you replace any of the tubes?
Old 3rd March 2006
Lives for gear

Mullard Nos from www.audiotubes.com I'll post newer clips of the diiferences.
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mullard Nos from www.audiotubes.com I'll post newer clips of the diiferences.

havent forgotten. School been kicking butt. but here are the old clips with 002r A/D

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-and-production/58184-preamp-comparison-clips.html
Old 9th May 2006
Here for the gear

I am not an expert as you guys , to be honest this is my first time comparing pre but for my 0,00002 cent i think the api hast the most in your face sound. could not hear much different for the other 2. thanks so much for posting the audio files :-)
Old 2nd August 2006
Lives for gear

Ok, i have listened for almost an hour to these samples and these are my findings:

Bass: This was an easy choice for me. Avalon. I just loved it. Never knew it, but this is a great bass tool! The other two were good, but not great.

Drums: API. For pop/rock stuff i'd choose the API all the way, it sounded Great. Now i know why some sluts here always rave about api on drums. Nice, punchy and present! Maybe for R&B the avalon, which had a nice low punch. The GTQ was ok/good overall.

MPC acoustic guitar: GTQ came out best. with the api the long notes were too obvoius but the rest was good, and the Avalon had a distinctive toppy end, but i didn't prefer it over the GTQ which sounded most balanced.

414 vocals: GTQ was best, with avalon as a solid 2nd. API was imo horrible.

87 vocals: I liked the GTQ most if i'd do pop/rock stuff. The Avalon came also very close and was a very close 2nd to me. Hard to decide. Maybe the Avalon is better on a female voice. Really R&B/Rappish. If you do rap, get tis combi. The API wasn't special.

99 vocals: Again the GTQ, but now with more distance between the gtq and the avalon which also came 2nd. On such a mic with such a distinctive high end, the api sounded very harsh, and wasn't a competitor.

In general regarding these 3 pre's:

The 87 mic samples sounded best at all the vocals, the 414 was imo a bit boring and the u99 not really my taste. If you do drums, get the api. After chosing the right pre for bass, choosing the api for drums was the most easy decision. What a sound! Too bad that the api is not nice on vocals.
The hardest decision were the acoustic guitars where every pre shined in a different region.

I'd recommend the avalon if you do stuff with bass / grooves and lots of vocal tracks. If you record drums, i think api is a no-brainer and if you do pop/rock vocals and guitars, the GTQ is a very nice tool.

YMMV ofcourse. and Nukmusic, thanks for your work!
Old 3rd August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogervandeberg
Ok, i have listened for almost an hour to these samples and these are my findings:

Bass: This was an easy choice for me. Avalon. I just loved it. Never knew it, but this is a great bass tool! The other two were good, but not great.

Drums: API. For pop/rock stuff i'd choose the API all the way, it sounded Great. Now i know why some sluts here always rave about api on drums. Nice, punchy and present! Maybe for R&B the avalon, which had a nice low punch. The GTQ was ok/good overall.

MPC acoustic guitar: GTQ came out best. with the api the long notes were too obvoius but the rest was good, and the Avalon had a distinctive toppy end, but i didn't prefer it over the GTQ which sounded most balanced.

414 vocals: GTQ was best, with avalon as a solid 2nd. API was imo horrible.

87 vocals: I liked the GTQ most if i'd do pop/rock stuff. The Avalon came also very close and was a very close 2nd to me. Hard to decide. Maybe the Avalon is better on a female voice. Really R&B/Rappish. If you do rap, get tis combi. The API wasn't special.

99 vocals: Again the GTQ, but now with more distance between the gtq and the avalon which also came 2nd. On such a mic with such a distinctive high end, the api sounded very harsh, and wasn't a competitor.

In general regarding these 3 pre's:

The 87 mic samples sounded best at all the vocals, the 414 was imo a bit boring and the u99 not really my taste. If you do drums, get the api. After chosing the right pre for bass, choosing the api for drums was the most easy decision. What a sound! Too bad that the api is not nice on vocals.
The hardest decision were the acoustic guitars where every pre shined in a different region.

I'd recommend the avalon if you do stuff with bass / grooves and lots of vocal tracks. If you record drums, i think api is a no-brainer and if you do pop/rock vocals and guitars, the GTQ is a very nice tool.

YMMV ofcourse. and Nukmusic, thanks for your work!
no prob.
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

flash back http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-89b1WNgME

LMAOoooo
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah man!

"if lovin' Jesus is a crime, then i wannabe BAD!"

Just hilarious!
Old 16th August 2006
Lives for gear

Mr. Randy Watson and The Sexual Chocolate Band

That boy is good !!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search