The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neve 8816: The Real Test
Old 7th October 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I just read the whole damned thread

For the people who didnt read , there was 4 mixes posted. 1 rough itb , 1 summed itb but passed through 8816, 1 vicoden influenced rough otb, and 3 years later a polished otb 8816 mix

The final polished mix far surpassed the others imo, new to this thread please listen to the 4th mix

I personally dig the sound of summing mixers, and im thinking about getting one. I know i love the sound of the 8816, but i am keeping a close watch on the sigma. ( it will come down to the sound quality)

Can anyone comment on the a/d option for the 8816? How does it compare to other converters?
Old 11th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerchunis View Post
I just read the whole damned thread

For the people who didnt read , there was 4 mixes posted. 1 rough itb , 1 summed itb but passed through 8816, 1 vicoden influenced rough otb, and 3 years later a polished otb 8816 mix

The final polished mix far surpassed the others imo, new to this thread please listen to the 4th mix

I personally dig the sound of summing mixers, and im thinking about getting one. I know i love the sound of the 8816, but i am keeping a close watch on the sigma. ( it will come down to the sound quality)

Can anyone comment on the a/d option for the 8816? How does it compare to other converters?
I hear it to man!! you cant make people hear what they cant hear, and they will try to tell those who can its just placebo and so the story goes....
Old 26th October 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vato View Post
Sorry to put up a new thread but there seemed to be some wandering topics in that other one. Anyways THIS is a REAL test of what seemed to be the majority vote.
I want yall to know I didnt use ANY external hardware for this exept for the NEVE 8816. In the case of the ITB mix it is just bounced to disc. I also would like to give a disclaimer for being in a hurry to do this mix. This is not how this mix is going to sound. I have the Neve not only for its sonic watermark but for these other reasons:
1. outboard integration
2. Inserts- there is a standard one on as well as a mix insert that allows me to "dial in" the amount of iserted signal
3. Control Room Section ( the people in the booth never heard it so good)
4.Width Control- this is handy but you can get carried away.
5.A/D--this option is one of the best converters Ive heard and will allow DSD

So here it is. I tried to get the levels the same. they seem to be. I will again leave them unidentified untill later. Note that I still think there is more benefit from the Neve when you sum more that just a stereo track which is what I did here.
Vatoheh
Man, nice work, i've just got the album on itunes. Very, very nice production, mix and musicians. Did everything made in Neve 8816?
Old 6th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We're can I find Nebula MWC??
Old 10th May 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Wow but… It doesn't surprise me at all that some people can't hear the difference. To me the difference is Very noticeable. Think about when when you make a change in the mix that your client can't hear. You perceive it very clearly but they can't differentiate at all and they just say " whatever you thinks best go with it cause I can't tell you did anything." It happens all the time. Some people just can't hear it! to some people it comes across as a feel. I own a MixDream and a Dangerous 2bus and they both very clearly impact the sound of the mix in different ways.
Old 26th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Really there hasn't been a valid comparison here, and I have no idea how this summing mixer sounds as a result.

Let's review: First the OP posted an ITB mix, then and ITB mix sent to the mix buss of the device. Note: both mixes were SUMMED ITB. Then the OP revised the mix, added outboard gear and actually summed through the device, guaranteeing a totally different result with WAY more variables changing than just the one we needed for a valid comparison.

Google Todd Burke Recording Engineer. He does a brilliant shootout that gets to the heart of the matter and posted it in on his blog. he had no agenda - he was using borrowed devices and wasn't trying to prove anything one way or the other.

The differences are not subtle.

I'd post a link, but GS might ban me for doing so.

You first have to make an ITB mix. Then you have to calibrate all the I/O of the summing devices involved such that level changes are not introduced. Then you have to send stems out and actually have the summing mixer sum the ITB stems without changing any other variable. If you want to push the mixbuss and reduce the output, I suppose that's fair, but the internal balance between the stems has to stay put.
Old 20th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnscalia View Post
B is the Neve. A is the ITB mix.
Thanks to so many of you who had simply used their ears and made a conclusion,
I would also like to note that I DID NOT use the width control on this test. If I had it would have been more obvious. I just wanted yall to hear the diference of what JUST sending the main outputs to the Neve would do. I read that some of you were concluding that I should have filled up the Neves channels for the OTB track.
I still have to finish mixing that song and I will post the final product later.
I only had so much time last night. The final mix will slam when I get the Neve filled up and also get my outboard involved.
Thanks to all- Vato
Interesting old thread. I heard an obvious difference on an iPad mini.

Last edited by animix; 20th February 2020 at 06:42 PM..
Old 28th October 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Neve 8816 Integration

Hi guys.

i got the unit a few days ago thinking it would fit nicely into my setup.

Found myself doing a 4 day connectivity research which has led me to doubt if this thing is worth the effort of not.

I kinda like the idea of having the analog hands on feel and sound (although a midi controller is necessary anyway) and the CR section which i wanted to get anyway. Also it may be possible to expand i/o to 16 using the Neve D/A converters with and option card. Has anyone tried that?

Contacted Lynx as well as AMS Neve in regards to setting up the unit.
Lynx were not sure and AMS no reply...

Specs:
Lynx AES16e + Aurora 8
AMS Neve + 25pin HD to 25pin cable
3 pairs of monitors
Preamps and stuff
PC Windows 7/ Cubase 10.5/Mixbus/Ableton

Any insights on how to make this easier integration?
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydaffan View Post
Hi guys.

i got the unit a few days ago thinking it would fit nicely into my setup.

Found myself doing a 4 day connectivity research which has led me to doubt if this thing is worth the effort of not.
I own one. It's worth it. It sounds great. You'll need at least 16 outputs on your audio interface, preferably 18 the way I use it. The extra 2 outputs are for your monitoring setup. The 8816 has outs for speakers BUT you really want to hear the return back to your computer and software monitor that. That way you really hear what you're getting and not the pre A/D sound and can put on buss plugins if you want.

Dsubs are expensive, converter channels are expensive, but summing is one of the few things you can do that takes NO subjective skill and not much time to get a better sound. People might argue that, whatever. You have it, might as well try. You can still get a feel for it with 8 outs if thats all you got.
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
I own one. It's worth it. It sounds great. You'll need at least 16 outputs on your audio interface, preferably 18 the way I use it. The extra 2 outputs are for your monitoring setup. The 8816 has outs for speakers BUT you really want to hear the return back to your computer and software monitor that. That way you really hear what you're getting and not the pre A/D sound and can put on buss plugins if you want.

The extra 2 outputs are for your monitoring setup. - So do you use the alt speaker function on the 8816? why more monitoring setup?

The 8816 has outs for speakers BUT you really want to hear the return back to your computer and software monitor that. - Are using the speaker outputs for return to A/D and DAW?

Dsubs are expensive, converter channels are expensive, but summing is one of the few things you can do that takes NO subjective skill and not much time to get a better sound. People might argue that, whatever. You have it, might as well try. You can still get a feel for it with 8 outs if thats all you got.
Dsubs are expensive - Do you have the ADS option card on the 8816? How do you connect you converter to it? XLR, optical? Does the card enable getting the full 16 channel i/o with an AES connected?

You can still get a feel for it with 8 outs if thats all you got. - Right now i cant get anything as the 25pin mogami connector i got with the unit does not go into XLR.

Thanks for the kind words,
Working on it!
Old 6th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use a Phoenix Nicerizer for analogue summing. Couldn’t live without it.. but it’ll be living with a Little Red Bustard from now on..

Haven’t tried the Red Bustard yet...

Summing otb makes a lot of difference to my ears here..

Etto

OneLove.

Zz.
📝 Reply