The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My little 2-bus compressor shootout Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

My little 2-bus compressor shootout

We've got three bus compressors here in the studio and I recently bounced a song through each of the, so see which we preferred. I thought I'd post a link here, in case any of you were interested in checking it out. Of course, there are more 2-bus comps out there, would love to try Portico 5043 and others...but this is what we've got.

VOCOMOTION's Little Bus Comp Shootout

I'm curious to hear if any of you prefer one compressor over the other (based on these bounces). I'm leaning towards the API right now.

Thanks guys!

--> freddie
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

API best of those for me. The EMT is the worst to me. Nice song. Wish I understood the words. But my foot was moving, so that's all that matters really.
Old 13th September 2007
LOVE the tune and GREAT mix. I really dig it.

So not really making a scientific listen here. Just going on how the mix moves me I like the API a little better. I don't know if it's the glue or the low end, again this was not a scientific thing, more of a gut reaction. The API just has a little more depth and weight to it that I like on this track.

It's really a toss up because they all sound good. Again, nice work man. Very cool.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

API>GSSL>EMT.

The API makes it pump very well on the low end which drives this type of hiphop style song. The GSSL brings out a nice mid range on the vox and seems to glue well. The EMT wasnt appropriate for the song IMO.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting your files...but bus compression comparisons never really tell you anything because the compression is part of the mix. The compressor will not only affect dynamics but the 'spectral' balance of the track too so really if you mix with one compressor in place and then swap it out for another, you would be most likely to expect something to be slightly wrong. It's a very difficult thing. The only real way to compare is to use each compressor on a few different mixes and make a judement call on which one you liked. I have to say that you cant go too far wrong with the API 2500. Provided you keep a close eye on the level coming into it, it's a very good sounding box.

At the moment I'm LOVING the portico

J
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Yeah, I was gonna say that I mixed the whole thing through the G-SSL first, then swapped out the bus comp. I think the EMT would sound better if I had mixed the song through it.

I still prefer the API so far. On that track, I had it riding at about 6dB reduction the whole time, nice sweet spot.

Thanks for listening guys! I appreciate you taking the time!

--> freddie
Old 17th December 2009
Gear Maniac

I really loved the way it sounds thru the Api just my opinion i dont like the SSl on this one. and i also liked the EMT 266.

Good Compression cant be heard that much lol.
Old 17th December 2009
Lives for gear
Cool stuff.

EMT was the winner for me.

The API was too forward.
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I was gonna say that I mixed the whole thing through the G-SSL first, then swapped out the bus comp. I think the EMT would sound better if I had mixed the song through it.
..........Yip I only listened to the uncompressed, api and the SSl and was just about to post that I thought The SSL sounded "right" in a way that the api didn't before I saw this, so there you go....eh. I often get into this scenario myself with things that I have listened to a lot and re-mixed. I was going to say that the settings on the api sounded off but I think it's just you have shoved a mix comp on a mix that was mixed through another comp...............doesn't always work.
Old 18th December 2009

funnily enough I liked the API and the uncompressed ones best!
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
funnily enough I liked the API and the uncompressed ones best!
me too
cheers
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Did the SSL have the turbo installed (for proper stereo image)? Doesn't sound right...
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

I didnt get past the API mix but I wanted to say I enjoyed the track. I guess I can go back and listen to the others now
Old 18th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano View Post
Cool stuff.

EMT was the winner for me.

The API was too forward.
EMT blends the the parts together, glues everything...****, I'm impressed...I'm less and less drawn to the API comp all the time, for mixbuss anyhow.

Very cool style!
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

emt is very soft, but it´s good for this music
great song, got a record release? i would get it!
Old 18th December 2009
the api is clearly the winner here. it sounded natural, warm and with no pumping effects. the others sounded smeared and too compressed.
Old 18th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius.media View Post
Did the SSL have the turbo installed (for proper stereo image)? Doesn't sound right...
I wonder as well, that just does not sound like a SSL, the also effects were used in some of the 2 busses like the api and not on some others, I might have to take the 5th here.
Old 19th December 2009
Gear Maniac

To my ears, any of them would work just fine. If any(or none) of these options had been in the chain for the duration of the mix process(which makes a huge difference), I think the differences would be pretty minor...
Old 15th April 2011
SSL by a long way

Awesome track Man, love it. I personally thought the API sounded a touch over compressed in a "just got home from a night club and need to take the cotton wool out of my ears kind of way". The SSL tended to convey a better sense of space whilst still maintaining good density and pump in the low end. I would choose the SSL for sure on this one because i think the API would become fatiguing very quickly from a consumer listening point of view. Particularly in vehicles or through cans etc. Just one opinion though.
Old 16th October 2011
Here for the gear

Dope Track!!!

What a dope track! Vocals are excellent!

Just wanted to add my 2cents:

I Like what the SSL is doing in the lower end of the spectrum.
punchier overall mix.

The API is nice and even through out. works well.

EMT sounded a bit muddy.

Im no expert though but thats what I hear. PEACE, Ceez

UniversolBeats.com
Old 17th October 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocomotion View Post
I think the EMT would sound better if I had mixed the song through it.

--> freddie
YES !!!!!
The EMT is the best, reminds me of my Rolls, I can tell you have not mixed to/with the 2 buss correctly, different 2 buss's do different things to the mix.
The API is ok, it has the mid push but I really don't like the 2500 in rock and roll, the low end always bugs me, if the 2500 had a tighter low end it would really be sweet.
But for this song the EMT is the best, just need a better mix /effects etc.
This is my 2nd listening...lol
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

EMT 266 is great for certain things. Quality.
It's really a broadcast limiter though so a little unfair when compared to fully featured compressors...
Old 4th August 2012
Gear Addict
am i the only 1 who thinks that differences were very subtle and the uncompressed track sounded the best?
Old 4th August 2012
Gear Head

Yep I like the uncompressed track too but its lacking the depth without the comp. I think the SSL has too much pump in it the release and attack need slightly tweaking for this song, its driving it a little too much, unlike the first two that are just kissing the needle! However, I like the SSL, it has the most 'soul' and mid-range/coloration to it. But if I had to choose from the 4 for this type of music, the API is the most consistent and produces the least amount of coloration for this song, so I'd go with the API. Great song btw!
Old 5th August 2012
Baz
Lives for gear

Hmm, I'm in the minority about the API and think it was WAY too heavy handed *shrug* It killed the reverb tails for starters and made everything small. But this said, it sounded more "modern" and what appears to be the norm these days, which is copious use of compression. I liked the Giraffe and uncompressed the most..
Old 5th August 2012
Lives for gear

Listening on ****ty speakers only, I can hear that the API setting causes the drum transients to fight with the compression too much for my taste. 6dB gain reduction with 10ms attack time and pretty fast release (I think those are the PW suggested starting point settings) would certainly explain that. I think that for such music the mixbuss compression should be set up in a different way, like 30ms attack, 100-300ms release and 3dB gain reduction. It is supposed to make the mix dance, not to even out the dynamics between the single elements (which can't be done anyways by mixbuss compression) imho.

ps the EMT handled the transients in a better way from what I could hear, more punch, less destruction.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search