The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beesneez BU87i C and Serrano 87
Old 10th October 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Beesneez BU87i C and Serrano 87

Samples are recorded with the preamps on the Audient ID22. Microphones were side to side, and I tried my best to match the levels during tracking. Will compare these with a Vintage Neumann U87 next week, and also individually with a MA5. Sorry, I only have one MA5. Please donสปt mind my voice. I am the song writer and the tracking engineer for the family band. Next week I will be using the Vintage Neumann U87 that we used on this video, to compare with these these two clone mics. Peace
Attached Files

Serrano Audient.wav (13.55 MB, 1834 views)

BeesNeez Audient.wav (13.55 MB, 1789 views)

Last edited by Bradahman; 11th October 2020 at 12:19 AM..
Old 10th October 2020
Deleted 6833614
Gotta say, Serrano wins this easily. Damn. Almost makes me want to return my Warm. It's probably way brighter than even the 87ai, but I really love how it sounds. Not sure if it'd be too much in the mix, but it sure sounds impressive.

Would like to hear a comparison with the u87 of both, kind of like Angus did in his shootout, record both in pairs.

I hope you don't mind (if you do, please let me know asap, I'll delete them) but I took the liberty of EQ'ing the BN to match the Serrano to see if they can be made equal when mixed. You draw your own conclusions. But to me even when eq-matched the Serrano just sounds significantly more open, detailed and just "richer".

Btw your voice sounds amazing with the Serrano. If you bought it, keep it.
Attached Thumbnails
Beesneez BU87i C and Serrano 87-serr.jpg  
Attached Files

BeesNeez 87 eq-match.wav (13.55 MB, 1744 views)

Serrano dry.wav (13.55 MB, 1730 views)

Old 10th October 2020
Here for the gear

The Serrano is nice indeed but I like the weight the BN has idk
Old 10th October 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Right on Greg. That's cool. Really appreciate it. When I first started the comparison, I was really surprised with the contrast in sound. Much more than what I heard in the big U87 shootout. I like the sound of both. The Serrano really cuts through. I think it's a great mic. Visually, it is quite appealing as well. Beautiful piece.
Old 10th October 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 6833614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradahman View Post
Right on Greg. That's cool. Really appreciate it. When I first started the comparison, I was really surprised with the contrast in sound. Much more than what I heard in the big U87 shootout. I like the sound of both. The Serrano really cuts through. I think it's a great mic. Visually, it is quite appealing as well. Beautiful piece.
It is gorgeous.
Old 11th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 6833614 View Post
It is gorgeous.
It is. A lot better looking than it is in online photos. Very well crafted. He has one Mic to choose from at the moment, so it doesn't seem like he is wanting to cut any corners.
Old 12th October 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Seems eventually someone was going to build the most perfect replica. Where the BeezNeez manage to build an excellent sounding microphone that is very true to it's homage, they also completely fail to build an attractive microphone, void of any taste or refinement. Beezneez are quite possibly the ugliest mics on the market,but they do sound the part.
BeezNeez could learn a heap from Serrano about taste and class in design.
The Serrano is remarkable to look at sounds awesome. Visually it demonstrates refined taste and the bold conviction and vision to design a mic that refines the classic U87 chassis in a very natural almost evolutionary way. I love it's sound just as much or more than the BN, and would easily justify having both.
I would be honoured to stick the Serrano in front of any source, especially singers!! (and my Fender Deluxe!)
The Serrano really reveals just how cheap and clumsily designed the Warm 87 really, and it sounds like a 87 where the Warm just sounds like a microphone. Thanks so much for turning me on to the Serrano. I hope you can get your money back on the Warm and put that dosh towards the sophisticated upgrade of the cost effective Serrano 87. ****ing cool ass mic!!

Oh me oh my I love this Serrano 87. When I can sort it, I'm buying me 1, maybe 2.

Last edited by GeneHall; 12th October 2020 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: hell yes Serrano!
Old 12th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradahman View Post
It is. A lot better looking than it is in online photos. Very well crafted. He has one Mic to choose from at the moment, so it doesn't seem like he is wanting to cut any corners.
Thanks for steering me towards the Serrano Brad, I'm in love. It's perfect. Must have.

Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsteve View Post
The Serrano is nice indeed but I like the weight the BN has idk
Thats one of the key attributes of BN copy. Fantastic sounding mic.
I really like the Serrano sound too, I'm guessing gtrs and voxes will sound really awesome through. A stereo pair of the Serrano would be a very frugal consideration.
If the builder is reliable and has a good reputation for working to customer needs rather than asking customers to fit into a self serving model of long waits with dosh up front. But I venture to guess anyone who has invested the amount of time it would have taken to develop this Serrano 87, is also going to be a very reliable purveyor of refined goods.

From the samples, the Serrano seems to nail the paystreak.
Deleted 6833614
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
The Serrano really reveals just how cheap and clumsily designed the Warm 87 really, and it sounds like a 87 where the Warm just sounds like a microphone.
So, I can't really figure it out.... how do you really feel about the WA87?
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
So, I can't really figure it out.... how do you really feel about the WA87?
Thing is, I may not think highly of this Warm mic but to me the reasons are abundantly obvious to anyone assessing the mic objectively.
I really do enjoy the sound of their 251, I don't know what a real 251 sounds like up close or probably at all, but judging the Warm 251 for the mic it is only, I dig it, and it's not ridiculous looking . It does look kind of budget to me but in an unobtrusive way.
One look and listen to the Serrano is a perfect example of what a compromise the Warm 87 purchase is. I was looking at the Warm with realistic expectations and it falls short of even that. Serrano put the time and effort into an amazing sounding handsome microphone for a song.
In Australia, the Warm sells for just a dash more than the Serrano shipped.
The difference in quality and design is undeniable.
So for pretty much the same money, it's a choice between a drive thru Happy Meal or fine dining.
YMMV

Stay safe and well kind folks
Deleted 6833614
Quote:
Thing is, I may not think highly of this Warm mic but to me the reasons are abundantly obvious to anyone assessing the mic objectively.
I really do enjoy the sound of their 251, I don't know what a real 251 sounds like up close or probably at all, but judging the Warm 251 for the mic it is only, I dig it, and it's not ridiculous looking . It does look kind of budget to me but in an unobtrusive way.
One look and listen to the Serrano is a perfect example of what a compromise the Warm 87 purchase is. I was looking at the Warm with realistic expectations and it falls short of even that. Serrano put the time and effort into an amazing sounding handsome microphone for a song.
In Australia, the Warm sells for just a dash more than the Serrano shipped.
The difference in quality and design is undeniable.
So for pretty much the same money, it's a choice between a drive thru Happy Meal or fine dining.
YMMV

Stay safe and well kind folks
So do you think if someone swapped the u87 for WA87 anyone in a studio would notice?
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
So do you think if someone swapped the u87 for WA87 anyone in a studio would notice?
In all seriousness, I can not imagine that scenario ever playing out, anywhere ever.
To me the Warm is too blurry to be completely convincing [as an 87] outside a mix. In a mix, I don't think how each mic cuts through a mix is going to resemble each other at all.
I'm not hearing the tonal potency of the Warm to even dare that comparison.
I'm not up close with the Warm though, maybe its all there and I'm the only one not hearing it.
Deleted 6833614
Quote:
In all seriousness, I can not imagine that scenario ever playing out, anywhere ever.
To me the Warm is too blurry to be completely convincing [as an 87] outside a mix. In a mix, I don't think how each mic cuts through a mix is going to resemble each other at all.
I'm not hearing the tonal potency of the Warm to even dare that comparison.
I'm not up close with the Warm though, maybe its all there and I'm the only one not hearing it.
I'm sure you've had plenty of experience to judge it dispassionately.

Do you think highpassing would rid the WA87 of that extra low end body you heard (blur) and make it open and bright to match the u87?
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post

Do you think highpassing would rid the WA87 of that extra low end body you heard (blur) and make it open and bright to match the u87?

I suppose I do believe that to be true, yes.

No

Deleted 6833614
Quote:
I suppose I do believe that to be true, yes.

No

Do you think WA87 R3 will finally beat the u87?
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Do you think WA87 R3 will finally beat the u87?
Oh without a doubt, for sure. 100%
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Seems eventually someone was going to build the most perfect replica. Where the BeezNeez manage to build an excellent sounding microphone that is very true to it's homage, they also completely fail to build an attractive microphone, void of any taste or refinement. Beezneez are quite possibly the ugliest mics on the market,but they do sound the part.
BeezNeez could learn a heap from Serrano about taste and class in design.
The Serrano is remarkable to look at sounds awesome. Visually it demonstrates refined taste and the bold conviction and vision to design a mic that refines the classic U87 chassis in a very natural almost evolutionary way. I love it's sound just as much or more than the BN, and would easily justify having both.
I would be honoured to stick the Serrano in front of any source, especially singers!! (and my Fender Deluxe!)
The Serrano really reveals just how cheap and clumsily designed the Warm 87 really, and it sounds like a 87 where the Warm just sounds like a microphone. Thanks so much for turning me on to the Serrano. I hope you can get your money back on the Warm and put that dosh towards the sophisticated upgrade of the cost effective Serrano 87. ****ing cool ass mic!!

Oh me oh my I love this Serrano 87. When I can sort it, I'm buying me 1, maybe 2.

Aloha, Thank you for your response. You called it on the BU87 last month. You are the reason I got it. And the Serrano is a stunner. Pictures donสปt do it justice. I donสปt have the WARM. Never considered the Rev 1. Would love to hear the Rev2... Have a good one. Aloha
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

I have it on good authority that Warm has been watching this thread intently... And is soon coming out with the new/improved Warm Wa-87 R2 D2 Model.

I've listened to so many Classic 70's records, gotta go with the Beesneez 87, for my preference overall. Just my taste.
But still think the Warm R2, is an excellent mic too. Why it's a U87ia! (somewhere between U87i & U87ai)

BTW why did the Hobbit set his cellphone, on vibrate?
He was afraid the ring might give him away!

Greg always appreciates a good LOTR/The Hobbit reference
Chris
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 6833614
Bradahman

Did you get my PM? I can't tell if GS is glitching right now cause once I send it jt just disappears, no confirmation, nothing in the sent folder.
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post
Bradahman

Did you get my PM? I can't tell if GS is glitching right now cause once I send it jt just disappears, no confirmation, nothing in the sent folder.
Go it. Just sent a return message. Thank you
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I agree with you. Feels like the BU almost caputures more of the performance
๐Ÿ“ Reply