The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Dimension D Comparison
Old 29th August 2020
Gear Addict

Roland Dimension D Comparison

I am attempting to compile a comprehensive comparison of all emulations and clones of the original Roland Dimension D SDD-320 Analog Chorus.

This is the original dry test file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pv3f2oj23p...20Dry.wav?dl=0

Current comparisons:

Hardware
Boss Waza DC-2w set to SDD-320 mode (Thanks to user Andrew Klimek)
Klark Teknik 3rd Dimension BBD-320 (Thanks to user Oxix52)
Roland Dimension D (Thanks to Benjamin Dehli)

Hardware comparison files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hx80p3sm3...TJYa?dl=0&lst=

Software
Acon Digital Multiply (Technically a doubler but it was requested)
Arturia Chorus D
ERS Dim D
Native Instruments Choral
Overloud TH-U Dimension (I believe this is actually an emu of the Dimension C pedal)
Plug & Mix Dimension 3D
Sknote DDD
UAD Roland Dimension D (The old Roland branded version, I don't know if there is a sonic difference with the current "Studio D Chorus")
Valhalla UberMod
Wampler Terraform Dimension (Free plugin)
Xils Lab Chor'X

Software comparison files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j9armkh21...mKZa?dl=0&lst=

I do want to remind people please do not listen to these files in the dropbox webplayer! Dropbox doesn't stream the original wav files. It converts them to lossy compressed Opus format versions which tend to have weird artifacts. The best thing to do is download the the proper .wav and listen in your daw.

Other versions that I'm looking for:
Roland RSP-550 (I have one and will run it soon I promise!)
Roland SDX-330

This is an ongoing project and I will update this post. If you have any suggestions for others to compare or can supply a run through from any of the missing gear that would be great!

Last edited by btfnk; 20th September 2020 at 12:40 AM..
Old 30th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Nice. At first listen the ERS stood out to me, but then again its almost bed time and my ears are fried. I will check it again after I have some rest.
Thanks for the comparison.
Old 30th August 2020
Lives for gear

The free Wampler Dimension chorus plugin definitely has that sound and I really like the low cut control.
Old 30th August 2020
Here for the gear

Haven’t tried any of these myself but at a first listen the UAD sounds best. Which is surprising since it’s 15 years old.

I saw a YouTube clip where a guy compared the Klark with an original dimension d. The Klark didn’t sound that good in that clip. But to be honest, the guy that tested it didn’t seem to want it to sound good either. Almost like he drove the Klark hot so it distorted, on purpose.

Would like to see a good comparison, like the one in this thread, between Klark and original.
Old 30th August 2020
Gear Addict

I've put out word to a few people who have the KT. Should have at least one comparison through that coming in the next few days. Still haven't been able to source someone who can run an original. If you have one or know someone please reach out.

Going to run Wampler Dimension and Native Instruments Choral plugins today.
Old 30th August 2020
Lives for gear

In my own tests, I think the Wampler and new Arturia sound great. Ubermod can have a tendency to feel like it's panning back and forth more than I usually want.
The Soundtoys Microshift even though not a DDD, seems to make the track pull back while the DDD is more subtle and keeps tracks forward. Both are useful just different.
Old 31st August 2020
Gear Addict

Ubermod is hit or miss for me. I tend to find it does more extreme chorusing best beyond the subtle sound of the dimension effect.

The Wampler is very good. I had not tried it before this test and I am definitely impressed, especially with it being free.

Just added a KT 3rd Dimension to the comparison thanks to Oxix52. He included a file of the unit in bypass so we have a run with just the DA-AD loop. Converter used was the UA Apollo x8p.

Out of the software we have so far, I would say the UAD sounds the most similar to the KT.
Old 1st September 2020
Lives for gear
I think you need to get a sample from the Roland original for a full comparison. Otherwise you're just comparing copies and you have no baseline. The file you prefer could be even further from the original.
Old 1st September 2020
Gear Addict

In terms of finding the most accurate emulation, I agree completely. Unfortunately I have been unable to source someone who has an original unit and is willing to help out.

In terms of finding the best piece of (available) gear that does an effect like a Dimension D, I think this still has value even without the original. What works best in a mix is always going to be heavily weighted by the source material. But for me, when listening to this comparison there are clearly ones that are better at the sound than others.
Old 1st September 2020
Gear Addict

I use Blue Cat's Chorus on Preset Chorus II for this kind of stereo widening. Don't know how it compares to the Roland, but it does the trick for me.
Old 2nd September 2020
Gear Addict

Based on quick testing (I only have the bluecat chorus that's included in Patchwork, but it has a preset with that name so I'm assuming it's the same one you're talking about) I believe that preset is much closer to a Boss CE-2 topology implemented in stereo. It doesn't have the same subtle yet complex modulation pattern of the Dimension. It reminds me somewhat of the chorus presets in Soundtoys Echoboy.
Old 2nd September 2020
Gear Addict

Happy to report we now have a proper original Roland Dimension D to compare. All credit is due to Benjamin Dehli you can find his youtube page here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMj...FfsO71urBY1E4A

Converters used on this are from an RME Fireface 800 and there is a run through the unit in bypass so you can hear the DA-AD loop.
Old 3rd September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by btfnk View Post
Happy to report we now have a proper original Roland Dimension D to compare. All credit is due to Benjamin Dehli you can find his youtube page here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMj...FfsO71urBY1E4A

Converters used on this are from an RME Fireface 800 and there is a run through the unit in bypass so you can hear the DA-AD loop.
I think the Proxima D plugin by Babelson Audio is a Dimension D clone.

https://babelson.com/shop/proximad/

Old 3rd September 2020
Gear Addict

I just grabbed the demo. It seems to be a pretty different topology. I couldn't get it to sound like a Dim D. Not bad for other types of chorus sounds though.
Old 3rd September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
I just grabbed the demo. It seems to be a pretty different topology. I couldn't get it to sound like a Dim D. Not bad for other types of chorus sounds though.
Sorry, I guess I was just going by the name, “Proxima D.“ Now that I look at it closer, I see you’re completely correct; it has a flanger mode and other traits unrelated to a Dimension D.
Thanks for checking it.
Old 3rd September 2020
Lives for gear

I kind of liked UberMod here. Could not open the DAW at the moment to test it properly, but I'll do soon.

The original unit seems to have more spaceness and movement them most of the softwares, that are more 2D. I know, buzzwords, but with this kind of modulation and reverbs, that's where I feel plugins lacks the most.
Old 4th September 2020
Gear Addict

Thanks for all the files! I think I am generally no chorus fan, but I like the Dimension D chorus sometimes because it ...does not sound much like chorus.
And from the files I totally get the love for the original. It sounds great! Klark and UAD comes second for my ears.
Old 4th September 2020
Lives for gear

damn. the Arturia seems to sound better than the rest to my ears. I guess its a buy for me.
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
damn. the Arturia seems to sound better than the rest to my ears. I guess its a buy for me.
What he said 👆🏻

Also, the Klark box was a disappointment compared to the OG.
Old 9th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
What he said 👆🏻

Also, the Klark box was a disappointment compared to the OG.
That's exactly what I thought. Guess I'll be picking up the Arturia while it's on sale.
Old 9th September 2020
Lives for gear

I picked it up. it is good. i think the $50 price tags is pretty accurate good intro price. I can't see it going 50% off that (but I may be wrong.) IIRC , I picked up pigments when it was $69 at intro. I dont think its gotten cheaper than that so far.
Old 13th September 2020
I have the wazacraft pedal if you'd like me to run a test. Absolutely love that thing!
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Klimek View Post
I have the wazacraft pedal if you'd like me to run a test. Absolutely love that thing!
That would be great if you could run it set to the SDD-320 mode on the pedal.
Old 16th September 2020
Quote:
That would be great if you could run it set to the SDD-320 mode on the pedal.
ok here you go:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rv6yxw2o7...x9NB68mea?dl=0
Old 20th September 2020
Gear Addict

Amazing! Thanks.

I added your files to the main comparison post.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have the SDX-330 but I'm currently moving to a new studio, so everything is stored in boxes.
I'll probably have it running in a couple weeks... I'll gladly do it if no one else come up with one before me!
Old 2 weeks ago
Did you try the new Eventide chorus?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadumansur View Post
I have the SDX-330 but I'm currently moving to a new studio, so everything is stored in boxes.
I'll probably have it running in a couple weeks... I'll gladly do it if no one else come up with one before me!
That would be great! I'm lagging behind here though. I still haven't run my RSP. But whenever you have a chance I would love to hear the 330. Especially to see how it compares to the RSP. I've heard some say it's the same algo. But I bet that isn't true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Klimek View Post
Did you try the new Eventide chorus?
I've been demoing it. I saw people in the thread say they were getting Dim D sounds out of it. But I haven't been able to get anything like that. It seemed more like a digital version of a Dyno Tri Chorus with some extra controls like detune. I wasn't that blown away by the sound and didn't find the controls that useful, to be honest.

But... I've just barely tried it. So maybe I need more time. If you have a Dim D preset for it please share or screenshot your settings and we can easily compare to the others.
📝 Reply