The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves QClone Comparison
Old 2 weeks ago
Waves QClone Comparison

Hello,
I have taken the time today to create comparison files for Waves QClone, that sampled an SSL 292 EQ.

I have created two examples, Snare and Distorted Guitar. For each example you find the unprocessed and processed version with QClone, the processed version directly through the SSL EQ (..._HWEQ), the difference of both (..._PhaseCancel), and a screenshot for the QClone curve.
I used an RME ADI-2 PRO FS to do the conversion.

The source recordings are quite old and not the best quality. I hope the comparison has value anyway, to spot relative differences. Also, the EQ settings were chosen quite extreme, in the hopes to make differences more pronounced.

Watch out when listening on headphones, the volume difference between the files is quite big (especially for the phase cancelled one).

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Christian
Attached Thumbnails
Waves QClone Comparison-snare_qclone.png   Waves QClone Comparison-git_qclone.png  
Attached Files

Snare_PhaseCancel.wav (1.83 MB, 266 views)

Snare_HWEQ.wav (1.83 MB, 284 views)

Snare_QClone.wav (1.83 MB, 260 views)

Git_PhaseCancel.wav (1.83 MB, 275 views)

Git_HWEQ.wav (1.83 MB, 294 views)

Git_QClone.wav (1.83 MB, 293 views)

Git_unprocessed.wav (1.83 MB, 265 views)

Snare_unprocessed.wav (1.83 MB, 284 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
I have created another example, this time with an acoustic guitar, and named the processed files "A" and "B", with the order randomized. Could be like it was before, or different. The "unprocessed" file this time is a bit reduced in gain, to avoid clipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Waves QClone Comparison-acousticgit_qclone.png  
Attached Files

AcousticGit_unprocessed.wav (2.38 MB, 245 views)

AcousticGit_PhaseCancel.wav (2.38 MB, 215 views)

AcousticGit_B.wav (2.38 MB, 234 views)

AcousticGit_A.wav (2.38 MB, 245 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sounds quite close, but I find HW maybe a little more polished/natural.
Is B HW for acoustic? You can PM me for that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertius View Post
Hello,
I have taken the time today to create comparison files for Waves QClone, that sampled an SSL 292 EQ.

I have created two examples, Snare and Distorted Guitar. For each example you find the unprocessed and processed version with QClone, the processed version directly through the SSL EQ (..._HWEQ), the difference of both (..._PhaseCancel), and a screenshot for the QClone curve.
I used an RME ADI-2 PRO FS to do the conversion.

The source recordings are quite old and not the best quality. I hope the comparison has value anyway, to spot relative differences. Also, the EQ settings were chosen quite extreme, in the hopes to make differences more pronounced.

Watch out when listening on headphones, the volume difference between the files is quite big (especially for the phase cancelled one).

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Christian
Snares similar to API test..the example with guitars is not the best for the test
HW sound open-clear highs->more space between micro textures of sound/
higher resolution.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertius View Post
I have created another example, this time with an acoustic guitar, and named the processed files "A" and "B", with the order randomized. Could be like it was before, or different. The "unprocessed" file this time is a bit reduced in gain, to avoid clipping.
B-win
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Not in my control room today..but through my old smartphone (galaxy s4) and a cheap pair of cans (€30 Chinese closed HP) I prefer B!
Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Thanks for listening and commenting on the acoustic guitar example.
I´m attaching the results in a txt file, so people can choose again to click it and read (spoiler prevention).
Please do not mention the results directly in the thread, thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt QClone acoustic guitar result.txt (49 Bytes, 14 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search