Neumann U67 Reissue and Flea 48 Superfet

Good And Gracious King (feat. CityAlight) Raw Mix from Raw Tracks
Olivia Vocal simultaneous capture to 2 mics, each with 2 preamp chains

Neumann U67 Reissue to Pueblo Audio JR4
Neumann U67 Reissue to Pueblo Audio JR4 > Coil Audio 70 > 286
Flea 48 Superfet to Pueblo Audio JR
Flea 48 Superfet to Pueblo Audio JR4 > Coil Audio 70 > 286

https://soundcloud.com/user-62615386...acks-96-24-wav

Edit: Selected the U67 RI > JR > 70 > 286 vocal track, then compressed with 176 > Sta-Level and parallel M7. Added to Playlist

Another song from the same session - Your Promises, 1) Final Mix Candidate and 2) Raw, both peak @ -.5dB

https://soundcloud.com/user-62615386...tion-worship-1

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 1 week ago at 09:56 PM.. Reason: Addition
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
Neumann U67 Reissue and Flea 48 Superfet

Good And Gracious King (feat. CityAlight) Raw Mix from Raw Tracks
Olivia Vocal simultaneous capture to 2 mics, each with 2 preamp chains

Neumann U67 Reissue to Pueblo Audio JR4
Neumann U67 Reissue to Pueblo Audio JR4 > Coil Audio 70 > 286
Flea 48 Superfet to Pueblo Audio JR
Flea 48 Superfet to Pueblo Audio JR4 > Coil Audio 70 > 286

https://soundcloud.com/user-62615386...acks-96-24-wav

Edit: Selected the U67 RI > JR > 70 > 286 vocal track, then compressed with 176 > Sta-Level and parallel M7. Added to Playlist

Another song from the same session - Your Promises, 1) Final Mix Candidate and 2) Raw, both peak @ -.5dB

I actually really like either mic with the extended coil chain. How are you using the coils after the Pueblo preamp? The final vocal sounds very finished. As a matter of taste I would personally prefer the final vocal level pulled down a little bit in the mix. And I feel like I would have opted for a different reverb, maybe a shorter tail. But ya know, who am I?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

"But ya know, who am I?"

And who am I as well. I do aim to improve my sound daily, appreciate your observations.

"How are you using the coils after the Pueblo preamp?"

This is all personal preference, musing, seems complicated and overdone but the proof to me comes in my listening. BTW, I spent four hours yesterday trying to dial-in my Sta-Level as vocal compressor on Olivia before concluding, the 176 alone was better on Olivia's vocal for Your Promises. The 176 was best on piano and vocals, Sta-level on Single was best on bass.

A few years back I was intrigued by Eric Valentine's description of the reasons behind the tube design of the master section of his console, decided I wanted to try the concepts applied to tracking and mixing, spent a year looking at variations, options I could use in my setup, and selected the Coils as they are obviously excellent preamps and offer a lot of flexibility as both preamps and line level shapers for all sources. In this shootout, if you download the files, run them in a DAW, you can see that the Coils are actually filtering some sounds from the mic and Pueblo, even at zero negative feedback.

The Pueblo Audio preamps are very detailed and accurate, my personal preference is to capture this version with Aurora(n), take a mult from the Pueblo (*detail below) and use the Coils to beautify. Both are indispensable in my setup. I currently have 12 channels of Pueblo, 3 Coil 70 PS6 and 2 Coil 286 PS6, my 286s have tube upgrades and transformer options.

*The Pueblos have an aux out @ -6dB from primary output, In this case, I ran this aux to a second Pueblo, which adds 7dB, sent this to a calibrated line level input Coil 70 and then to a calibrated line level input Coil 286 level matched to the volume of the Pueblo as the Coil line level input allows me to use significant gain on the 70 and the 286.

Pardon my descriptions, I post samples for a reason, the 70 with zero negative feedback adds weight and smoothing, while the 286 with Tele tube, 110 input transformer and 41 HN output transformer adds tube sheen. Adjustable negative feedback is extremely useful and having low and high adjustable enhancement of the negative feedback is seldom used but can really make a difference when wanted.

"I would personally prefer the final vocal level pulled down a little bit in the mix. And I feel like I would have opted for a different reverb, maybe a shorter tail. But ya know, who am I?"

I agree, have made adjustments like these as I have continued the mixing process on another song, Your Promises, as a template which I will later apply to this song.

As a practice, given time, I like to compare the peak levels of compressed individual elements. It can be surprising. My preferred current mix of Your Promises has instruments @ -4.5 dB and vocal @ -4.3 dB. Parallel 100% M7 Vienna Hall wet reverb on piano is -48.6 dB and on vocals -25.8 dB. I don't seek these values while mixing but like to compare them afterward on each song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainofjars View Post
I actually really like either mic with the extended coil chain. How are you using the coils after the Pueblo preamp? The final vocal sounds very finished. As a matter of taste I would personally prefer the final vocal level pulled down a little bit in the mix. And I feel like I would have opted for a different reverb, maybe a shorter tail. But ya know, who am I?

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 5 days ago at 05:52 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Love the 67+coil chain. That softness/body balance is perfect for the song.

Enjoyed V2 mix. Cheers for sharing :¬)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search