The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help! Mic shootout
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Help! Mic shootout

Hi there, I am a professional voice over in Australia. I've used just the one mic in my home studio for ages and its served me really well, but I thought I'd like to try and find another one which might suit my voice even better.

I noted the name of a mic I used in a studio a while ago which sounded fantastic, and after reading amazing reviews about it, (especially for sibilant people like me), I went and bought it.

But I just don't think it's as great as I was hoping it would be. (Maybe the studio had incredible pre-amps??) I'd be really interested to hear what you guys - with better ears than me - think.

Here's the file (hopefully): https://soundcloud.com/robharding/mi...arch20/s-gLxMQ

I won't tell you what the two mics are just yet just for a bit of nail-biting suspense - only A and B. I've read the same 3 scripts with mic a then with mic b, so not identical delivery but hopefully close enough to get a vibe. (So all one track with Mic A Script 1,2,3 then Mic B Script 1,2,3.) I'll try and remember to check back in and let you know what the two mics are!

Both mics are running through a Focusrite Scarlett. No treatment, EQ, compression, etc. Mic B is a fair bit softer in level so I have boosted it a few db.

Would love your feedback! Which one do you prefer? Is there a style of read which suits one mic over the other? All feedback greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Rob.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
[. . .] I've used just the one mic in my home studio for ages and its served me really well, but [. . .]

[. . .] Which one do you prefer? Is there a style of read which suits one mic over the other? [. . .]
From listening to the scripts in isolation, I don't prefer either mic on your voice as configured.

All three scripts seemed very, very similar - too much, so, for me - even if you were evaluating just one mic.

Where exactly are the end listeners hearing your VO work. . .and on what devices are they listening?

Are these scripts - as presented - representative of your finished product? Or, is your VO generally integrated with music, Foley, dialog by other voices, incorporating a wider dynamic range material [excitement, laughing, yelling], filtered, compressed, etc.? If the latter, can you describe or [better] provide examples?

Do you ever need to record on location, rather than just in your home studio? If so, try in those extreme environments.

Have you tried your normal processing & post-processing - filters, compression, etc? If so, can you speak to how one one mic's signal compared to the the other at the end of that process?

Clearly, a different preamp, or post processing, can take the edge off of - and fatten up - either mic if appropriate - assuming cases where there is only the sound of your voice, and no integration with other audio. . .cases where that would benefit the listener's experience. How a preamp and mic response to each other can differ significantly, of course, from that same preamp and a different mic. . .etc.

For reference, I only listened on a modern MacBook Pro. I did not download the file and compare waveforms, noise floor, etc.

Best wishes,

Ray H.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for listening Ray. The three scripts were indicative of the kind of work I get booked for - reasonably conversational TV / radio ads and corporate reads. If I do a read that requires a lot more energy, I definitely know which mic I will go for, so I really only wanted to compare for this style of read.

I supply most of the work I do untreated as it gets mixed by an engineer and they want a ‘clean’ sound. Often mixed with music. No I don’t record on location.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search