The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Test your ears! PodXT or Tom Scholz (Rockman) Soloist?
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Addict

Test your ears! PodXT or Tom Scholz (Rockman) Soloist?

I put two songs in my music website: "Sanctity", which is the song on top, and "Are You There?" is the next song down. One song uses the Tom Scholz Soloist (a version of the Rockman; don't laugh, famous people have used them: IK is supposed to come out with a Joe Satriani Amplitude guitar amp modeling thing that will include the Rockman, this month), and the other song uses the PodXT for guitar amp modeling. Can you tell which is which? Please tell me how you like the music, and how it can be improved. Here is my link:

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/de...&content=songs
Old 16th February 2020
rbc
Gear Head

I'm not completely sure, but I'd say "Are You There" was recorded with the Soloist.
Old 19th February 2020
Gear Addict

rbc,
You are absolutely correct! Congrats to rbc for getting it right!
Old 19th February 2020
rbc
Gear Head

I didn't know how much effort you might have put into obscuring the Rockman sound, but the chorus and tone definitely stand out unless an effort is made to change it. That's some great playing there. Thanks for posting it.
Old 20th February 2020
Gear Addict

rbc,
Thank you for replying again! No effort was made to hide the Rockman sound; though I think I might have added some delay effect at times to the guitar. Are you from a particular state or country?
Old 20th February 2020
rbc
Gear Head

I live in Mississippi. I have some Rockman gear, so I'm always interested when I notice other Rockman users out there.
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Addict

rbc,
That's cool, not everyday you meet someone from Mississippi on the internet. Often, my wife is watching the TV show "Home Town", where this couple fixes up houses in Mississippi. What Rockman items do you have? Ever wonder how Def Leppard sounded so good using Rockman stuff?
Old 21st February 2020
rbc
Gear Head

I have a Rockman Sustainor, Distortion Generator, Chorus/Delay, a couple of Guitar Ace headphone amps and a Bass Ace. I am aware that Def Leppard used Rockman gear over the years, but I don't know any of the details. I'd be curious to hear about it.
Old 22nd February 2020
Gear Addict

rbc,
You were/are really into Rockman stuff! I watched a video regarding the Sustainer on youtube; I don't recall hearing about that product. Couldn't find a video on the Bass Ace. I wonder how Tom Scholz's personal "Rockman" (OK it was actually something different) items that he used on the first Boston album compared to the Rockman commercial products.........OK, I answered my own question by watching this video, and Scholz starts talking about it at 26:00 and beyond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrEzoa9-I8g

Last edited by aaron aardvark; 22nd February 2020 at 07:53 AM..
Old 22nd February 2020
rbc
Gear Head

Here's a video of the Bass Ace:

Old 23rd February 2020
Gear Addict

rbc,
Thank you for sharing the video, is that you? Sounds pretty good, if not as distinctive as the Boston guitar sound of the Rockman. Though I would imagine all (or most) of that Rockman gear came out before the digital guitar amp modeling gear. So are you a big fan of Boston, or more of a thing where you like the Rockman gear? What are your thoughts regarding Rockman gear as opposed to digital guitar amp modeling? Curious how the IK Joe Satriani Amplitude (modeling a Rockman) thing will compare to the real Rockman?
Old 23rd February 2020
rbc
Gear Head

That's someone else in the video. I'm mildly a Boston fan, "Third Stage" is probably my favorite album of theirs. I'm actually more of a fan of SR&D (Rockman) equipment though.

The way Tom Scholz uses compression, pre/post-distortion EQ, chorus and delay with guitar has stuck with me. Andy Summers use of phaser, flanger and delay is also an influence.

I do like digital amps/effects for the flexibility and precision. On the other hand, the thought of the hardware/firmware/software treadmill being attached to my music is a turn off. I'm not scared of the technology, so much as being exhausted by the upkeep at times.

Once I've decided I like some effects, I go out and pick up analog implementations where possible. That's a personal choice. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that digital can get really close to the Rockman sound. You just have to get the right blend of compression, distortion harmonics, doubling and echo to nail it.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Addict

Thank you for replying!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search