The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Schoeps MK 2h vs Sennheiser MKH 8020 Vs Telefunken M60 on Cello
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Schoeps MK 2h vs Sennheiser MKH 8020 Vs Telefunken M60 on Cello

Hello All,

I recently picked up the new master stereo set offered by Telefunken on the new SDC FET series the M60's, I had a cello session that night and after we packed up most of the mics I decided to put the M60's to the test up against some Schoeps MK 2h's and MKH 8020's. Now I must apologize for a slightly unscientific test as I used different preamps (the MKH's ran through a Millennia HV 3 while the rest of the mics ran through the mic inputs of a Apogee Symphony io (there were reasons for this but basically it would have been a major inconvenience to re-route stuff... (perhaps soon I shall do a new test with piano using all millennia pre's) but here are the 3 audio files, Right now I'll upload them with just a descriptor name so that you all can discuss and debate which is which!
Attached Files

Audio File C.mp3 (8.18 MB, 147 views)

Audio File B.mp3 (8.18 MB, 136 views)

Audio File A.mp3 (8.18 MB, 132 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hello,

Thanks for the test. Is it M60 cardio or M61 omni ?
Note that C is near 2 dB RMS below B. This is likely because you have normalized the peal levels and C has larger dynamic range than B.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
Hello,

Thanks for the test. Is it M60 cardio or M61 omni ?
Note that C is near 2 dB RMS below B. This is likely because you have normalized the peal levels and C has larger dynamic range than B.

Sorry for the confusion, as Telefunken markets the microphone system under the name M60 (which does refer to the capsule which is cardioid but is also used to describe the microphone preamp) I decided to go with that as the descriptor.
I did use the M61 capsule

Also yes, I chose to normalize the audio files at a peek of -0.3 dB rather than RMS as the dynamic range of the microphone is also what would be in question here when comparing the microphones, an interesting point however, and one that I did not test for.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
C is Schoeps
B is Telefunken
A is Sennheiser
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
Because of dynamic range compression from the transformer of the Telefunken mic ?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I'm not entirely sure what caused the greater RMS values on the Schoeps. I doubt it would be because of the transformers used in the Telefunken's specifically, All 3 microphones were FET mics, and the sennheisers and the telefunkens were quite close in their RMS values

-- Though I do not find the RMS change to be audibly measurable and I wouldn't find it a deciding factor in using any of these mics

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search