The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prism Sound Atlas VS RME UFX+ SHOOTOUT
Old 24th October 2019
Here for the gear

Prism Sound Atlas VS RME UFX+ SHOOTOUT

Hi everyone,

Here I share a shootout I made in my own studio, I wanted to compare the stock preamps and converters of

- Prism Sound Atlas
- RME Fireface UFX+

For the test I used (apart from the two interfaces):

- Sennheiser e914 Mic
- ART S8 Mic splitter
- Taylor 314CE
- 3 new identical XLR digital Cables

Both interfaces were operating on their own clocks, I matched the projects settings in two different computers and levels were matched on Wavelab 10 Pro, the DAW used was cubase and it was recorded 24 Bit/44,1KHZ

You will need this ABX app ----> http://lacinato.com to make a blind comparison, I used the ABX test and I played 20 rounds. please share your opinions.

Thank you so much

Ruben
Attached Files

ATLAS FINAL.wav (8.08 MB, 1164 views)

UFX FINALwav.wav (8.23 MB, 915 views)

Old 27th October 2019
ULA
Here for the gear

Hi Ruben,

This is personally a very interesting comparison for me because both of these (actually Lyra 2 or Titan not Atlas but same converters/preamps in all of these as far as I understand) are on my shortlist of interfaces that I am looking to upgrade to from an old UAD Apollo.

I really put some effort into doing a blind comparison of your files in different listening environments - laptop/earbuds, studio monitors, and studio headphones. I was in the range of 60-70% accurate in identifying the difference between the two, scanning between sections as not to learn too well a short section and be able to consistently identify just that. So really not much better than random chance... when I could hear the difference they were the clearest on my studio monitors. I thought the RME was maybe "brighter/clearer" in the top end but in a more harsh/strident way compared to the Prism which may have been a tad smoother and more "controlled" across the entire frequency spectrum especially when some of the low notes on the guitar are hit. But again they were very close and my results tell me I could not really tell the difference on the guitar recording...

I'm curious if you also have any shootouts of other instruments or drums - something with more low end information?

The Prism is at the top of my list because in other comparisons I've been able to find, the Prism seems to show a nice "extension", clarity and depth in the low end. Something I've been annoyed and feel is lacking with my current UAD Apollo interface...

I don't want to distract from the intention of your thread so I may pm you some questions around latency between these two interfaces as this is one of my only concerns with the Prism if that would be ok...
Old 1st November 2019
Interesting comparison. I hear more detailed information in the Prism. I have a Lyra and I love its sense of detail

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search