The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prism Sound Atlas VS RME UFX+ SHOOTOUT
Old 24th October 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Prism Sound Atlas VS RME UFX+ SHOOTOUT

Hi everyone,

Here I share a shootout I made in my own studio, I wanted to compare the stock preamps and converters of

- Prism Sound Atlas
- RME Fireface UFX+

For the test I used (apart from the two interfaces):

- Sennheiser e914 Mic
- ART S8 Mic splitter
- Taylor 314CE
- 3 new identical XLR digital Cables

Both interfaces were operating on their own clocks, I matched the projects settings in two different computers and levels were matched on Wavelab 10 Pro, the DAW used was cubase and it was recorded 24 Bit/44,1KHZ

You will need this ABX app ----> http://lacinato.com to make a blind comparison, I used the ABX test and I played 20 rounds. please share your opinions.

Thank you so much

Ruben
Attached Files

ATLAS FINAL.wav (8.08 MB, 4911 views)

UFX FINALwav.wav (8.23 MB, 3889 views)

Old 27th October 2019
ULA
Here for the gear

Hi Ruben,

This is personally a very interesting comparison for me because both of these (actually Lyra 2 or Titan not Atlas but same converters/preamps in all of these as far as I understand) are on my shortlist of interfaces that I am looking to upgrade to from an old UAD Apollo.

I really put some effort into doing a blind comparison of your files in different listening environments - laptop/earbuds, studio monitors, and studio headphones. I was in the range of 60-70% accurate in identifying the difference between the two, scanning between sections as not to learn too well a short section and be able to consistently identify just that. So really not much better than random chance... when I could hear the difference they were the clearest on my studio monitors. I thought the RME was maybe "brighter/clearer" in the top end but in a more harsh/strident way compared to the Prism which may have been a tad smoother and more "controlled" across the entire frequency spectrum especially when some of the low notes on the guitar are hit. But again they were very close and my results tell me I could not really tell the difference on the guitar recording...

I'm curious if you also have any shootouts of other instruments or drums - something with more low end information?

The Prism is at the top of my list because in other comparisons I've been able to find, the Prism seems to show a nice "extension", clarity and depth in the low end. Something I've been annoyed and feel is lacking with my current UAD Apollo interface...

I don't want to distract from the intention of your thread so I may pm you some questions around latency between these two interfaces as this is one of my only concerns with the Prism if that would be ok...
Old 1st November 2019
Interesting comparison. I hear more detailed information in the Prism. I have a Lyra and I love its sense of detail
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Cool, thanks for posting this. The test proves the difference in the top interfaces is really neglible. The frequency response of both tracks is almost identical. The biggest difference is in the area of 45Hz Atlas is -0.1db compared to RME, and everything else is almost identical with a difference of less than 0.01db.

I definitely don't hear any "more detailed information" in any of the recordings, they practically sound identical.
Old 22nd January 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily111 View Post
Cool, thanks for posting this. The test proves the difference in the top interfaces is really neglible. The frequency response of both tracks is almost identical. The biggest difference is in the area of 45Hz Atlas is -0.1db compared to RME, and everything else is almost identical with a difference of less than 0.01db.

I definitely don't hear any "more detailed information" in any of the recordings, they practically sound identical.

They are indeed extremely close, and I haven't used any kind of precision measuring tools to compare the specs, just my Mk1 ears - I just like how the Prism sounds more
Old 22nd January 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Used Lacinato,

Couldn't discern a difference between the two, initially favored the Prism 60% of the time after 20 rounds, then favored the UFX 70% in accompanying 20. Interested in seeing the users that "like how the Prism sounds" more, to have some fun and see if they can actually identify with north of 90% accuracy which one the Prism is.

cheers,
Ham
Old 22nd January 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamTheGuy View Post
Used Lacinato,

Couldn't discern a difference between the two, initially favored the Prism 60% of the time after 20 rounds, then favored the UFX 70% in accompanying 20. Interested in seeing the users that "like how the Prism sounds" more, to have some fun and see if they can actually identify with north of 90% accuracy which one the Prism is.

cheers,
Ham
Agree 100%.

One thing which could be useful is if instead of a single instrument, we run a full & tight mix through the loop. This would be slightly more revealing, as you have instruments playing across all the frequency range. However, I am pretty sure the difference even in that case would be similar to what we have here.
Old 10th July 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
TME the Prism is balanced and natural, the RME is high forward and not as full in the mids.

Old 23rd July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine Pierce View Post
TME the Prism is balanced and natural, the RME is high forward and not as full in the mids.

Sorry mate, I don't think you can describe the difference of 0.01db as balanced and natural versus high forward and not as full in the mids. Take a look at the frequency analyzer output for both converters (red & green lines) attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Prism Sound Atlas VS RME UFX+ SHOOTOUT-comparison.jpg  
Old 27th July 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Just mixed this two files (one phase inverted) and it turns out that they are out of sync.
But in a small chunk they are nearly identical (50db difference) as has already been said
Old 2nd August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily111 View Post
Sorry mate, I don't think you can describe the difference of 0.01db as balanced and natural versus high forward and not as full in the mids. Take a look at the frequency analyzer output for both converters (red & green lines) attached.
Hi Vasily111,

Good point yes but I'm sharing what the two samples sound like to my ears. I'm hearing a difference bt the two.

Old 2nd August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine Pierce View Post
Hi Vasily111,

Good point yes but I'm sharing what the two samples sound like to my ears. I'm hearing a difference bt the two.

Ask someone to play them for you, so you could guess it blindly. I bet the accuracy will be equal to coin flipping
Old 20th September 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I can hear details in the top highs/brilliance of the Prism that is missing in the RME. Maybe possibly a cleaner signal path/hardware path? The Prism I can hear every guitar string being played separately and the RME sounds like they are all kinda blended together and have a slight roll off at around 11k.
Old 27th September 2020
Here for the gear
I wanted to hear no difference, or like the RME better (as I am considering that unit), but ultimately I like the Prism better. I do hear a difference; the Prism sounds more natural and realistic to me through my monitoring system. The RME more flat. No measurement, just blind A/B.
Old 5th November 2020
Gear Nut

I did a blind test with a friend switching it between either. I feel the RME sounds a tad darker compared to the prism. The prism seems to have more air and sheen to it, but at first I just assumed it was some kind of a high-pass filter. Then I realized it was my ear perceiving extra high end as reduced mids and lows.

But wow... I knew the difference should be small but I really.. REALLY love how the prism sounds.

Edit- DEFINITELY hear some extra air and overtones on the prism. I thought it was placebo but I was able to pick out the prism 8/10 times.
Old 14th November 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I prefer Prism. To me it feel that RME has more "squared" sound if that's right expression. Don't know though if this is only converter comparison or converter + preamps. If latter maybe then also preamps plays important role.
Old 20th November 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I just did the abx test 10 rounds and scored 50% for both Amazing. Now I see how this things work. Just saw that Mark Knopfler uses Prisms and were immidiatlly sounded better

Second time after 10 rounds I got 8 for Prism 2 for RME.

Third time I did 20 round and I got 10 for Prism, 10 for RME

I'm very happy now, cause I'm intending to buy RME UFX+.

Last edited by Viennaconcert; 20th November 2020 at 01:40 AM..
Old 1st December 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I just hear slightly lower mids in the prism. There may be other details but its not apparent with the acoustic guitar. There may be more detail present but it is not apparent on my adams.
πŸ“ Reply