The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ribbon mics comparison session: r84 BIV-1 R121 4038
Old 7th July 2019
Ribbon mics comparison session: r84 BIV-1 R121 4038

Check out this Ribbon mics comparison session. Alto saxophone with AEA r84, Bash BIV-1, Royer R121, Coles 4038 via Sytek MPX-4 preamp (3&4 with BurrBrown).

Mic placement about 18-22 inches away. Check the photo for how the mics were arranged.

Sax player is my 17yo son who is 10 lessons to the instrument. Here is a video (mix using r84) to show that he stayed steady in position to center the mic array.

Audio files are raw, no eq or comp, level matched via preamp gain. Download from this link https://we.tl/t-DUUFq0lo6a

I'm most familiar with r84 and r121, 4038 I've had for 2 years now, BIV-1 I got just a month ago. I'll share my impressions later though I would say I'm pleasantly surprised by the Bash mic's performance on the alto sax.
Attached Thumbnails
Ribbon mics comparison session: r84 BIV-1 R121 4038-p_20190707_195638_vhdr_on.jpg  

Last edited by SoundWeavers; 8th July 2019 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: added DL link and more info
Old 8th July 2019
Link to audio files posted.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Thank you for this.
Really liking AEA R84 here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search