The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Blind Test - Hive vs Diva (Preset Copied)
Old 14th June 2019
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
alexishere's Avatar
 

Blind Test - Hive vs Diva (Preset Copied)

I love Hive's workflow but I love Diva's sound more.

When reading through gearslutz forums, it makes me feel as if everyone can hear the differences which are so glaringly obvious.

So, which one is Diva and which one is Hive?

I picked two of my favourite diva presets and copied over in hive. Obviously they don't sound exactly alike. No external plugins were used. Overall Loudness was matched (LUFS)

See for youselves and post your answers below and I’ll pm you the answers!

EDIT(15 June 19): ADDED PAD PATCHES WITH MOVING FILTERS
Attached Files

a Pluck.wav (1.71 MB, 731 views)

b Pluck.wav (1.71 MB, 673 views)

a Bass.wav (3.41 MB, 682 views)

b Bass.wav (3.41 MB, 692 views)

a Pad.wav (3.67 MB, 611 views)

b Pad.wav (3.48 MB, 604 views)

Old 14th June 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Pictus's Avatar
 

I do not know who is who, but prefer:
"a Bass.wav"
"b Pluck.wav"
Old 14th June 2019
  #3
Here for the gear
I think the particular type sound chosen for the pluck is not the kind of sound where the difference is going to be so apparent. I think more high frequency and phase drifting sounds are where the differences are going to be more audible. I think the type of bass chosen is where the difference could be more obvious, except that the filter is not moving much. If the filter was moving more, I think it would become more apparent.

Having said that, I prefer and think that bass A sound is Diva, though I think it could be Hive with careful programming.
Old 14th June 2019
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
alexishere's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniphonic1 View Post
I think the particular type sound chosen for the pluck is not the kind of sound where the difference is going to be so apparent. I think more high frequency and phase drifting sounds are where the differences are going to be more audible. I think the type of bass chosen is where the difference could be more obvious, except that the filter is not moving much. If the filter was moving more, I think it would become more apparent.

Having said that, I prefer and think that bass A sound is Diva, though I think it could be Hive with careful programming.
Thats true, i’ll do a pad patch and add it in!
Old 15th June 2019
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
alexishere's Avatar
 

Pad patches added.
Old 15th June 2019
  #6
Deleted 4adc64a
Guest
Not sure which is which, but preferred

B - Pluck
A - Bass
B - Pad

Never used Hive, use DIVA daily. Interested to see result!
Old 15th June 2019
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
alexishere's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthonymusic View Post
Not sure which is which, but preferred

B - Pluck
A - Bass
B - Pad

Never used Hive, use DIVA daily. Interested to see result!
Thanks for participating, sent you the pm!
Old 15th June 2019
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
Amroth's Avatar
Pluck - neither sound better. A has more attack if you like that.

Bass - B. A has more in-your-face power but B has more confident relaxed presence

Pad - B. But they are quite close
Old 15th June 2019
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
alexishere's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
Pluck - neither sound better. A has more attack if you like that.

Bass - B. A has more in-your-face power but B has more confident relaxed presence

Pad - B. But they are quite close
Exactly my findings, except I prefer the Pad A sound. Would you wanna take a guess which one is which? wonder if people can hear the ‘analogness’ of Diva

Anyway, i’ll pm u the answers!
Old 15th June 2019
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
Amroth's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexishere View Post
Exactly my findings, except I prefer the Pad A sound. Would you wanna take a guess which one is which? wonder if people can hear the ‘analogness’ of Diva

Anyway, i’ll pm u the answers!
Well, I listened to the pads again with headphones when the final chord fizzles out, A does sound more controlled and less harsh than B actually
Old 15th June 2019
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
Amroth's Avatar
Hold on... I just googled and Diva is also a u-He product! I didn't know that... so can this be considered an updated version or something?
Old 15th June 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
With just casual listening, I found A to be more sharply defined with deeper bass across all three samples, while B seemed a little more "tamed" and soft somehow. I preferred A for Pluck and Bass, but B for Pad.
Old 15th June 2019
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
alexishere's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
Hold on... I just googled and Diva is also a u-He product! I didn't know that... so can this be considered an updated version or something?
So basically they are two entirely different synths by uhe.

Diva is modelled after a few legendary synths and insanely CPU hungry and people are going nuts over its sonics.

Hive is not an emulation though inspired by some analog synths. It’s very CPU efficient and people say it’s best for Trance or House music which i think is absolutely bollocks.

After the Hive 2 update, it’s probably the sweet spot in terms of workflow, sound and cpu.
Old 15th June 2019
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
alexishere's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
With just casual listening, I found A to be more sharply defined with deeper bass across all three samples, while B seemed a little more "tamed" and soft somehow. I preferred A for Pluck and Bass, but B for Pad.
pm’ed you the answers!
Old 15th June 2019
  #15
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
With just casual listening, I found A to be more sharply defined with deeper bass across all three samples, while B seemed a little more "tamed" and soft somehow. I preferred A for Pluck and Bass, but B for Pad.
I agree, but to me the resonance sounds higher in pad A, which I don’t like as much. I think if the resonance was turned down a bit in that one I might prefer it over B.
Old 15th June 2019
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
alexishere's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniphonic1 View Post
I agree, but to me the resonance sounds higher in pad A, which I don’t like as much. I think if the resonance was turned down a bit in that one I might prefer it over B.
Resonance was a differentiating factor with the pad patch. oscillators can sound identical using minimg wavetable in hive but resonance, there was no way it could match the sound.
Old 16th June 2019
  #17
Gear Nut
 

I prefer:
Pad: A
Bass: B
Both sound heavier.....So which is which ?
Old 17th June 2019
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
alexishere's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjeudy View Post
I prefer:
Pad: A
Bass: B
Both sound heavier.....So which is which ?
Pm’ed you!
Old 18th June 2019
  #19
Gear Maniac
 
alexishere's Avatar
 

Okay. Here’s the answers!

A Bass - Diva
B Bass - Hive
A Pluck - Diva
B Pluck - Hive
A Pad - Hive
B Pad - Diva

Thanks everyone for participating

On a sidenote, I learnt while patching that it Diva in general is so easy to make it sound dirty with detune/instability and had tons of bass (+4.5db boost with EQ inside hive) and needs saturation to get the ‘in the face’ sound like in Diva.

Hope you guys found this useful!
Old 18th June 2019
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
I find it fascinating that I attributed common characteristics to A as compared to B, perhaps on the mistaken assumption that each letter represented the same software throughout. It shows that even in a blind test it’s possible to allow preconceived notions to play a role.

It turns out, however, that I consistently preferred Diva in all three examples. One of these days I really should buy it...
Old 20th June 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Diva is edgier in all examples. I really like it, has more character.

But Hive 2 is very close, good too.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump