The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rap Vocal Shootout! 16 Mics Including Slate VMS, Lewitt LCT 840, WA-87...
View Poll Results: Which of these mics do you like MOST for my voice?
A
1 Votes - 33.33%
B
0 Votes - 0%
C
0 Votes - 0%
D
0 Votes - 0%
E
0 Votes - 0%
F
0 Votes - 0%
G
0 Votes - 0%
H
0 Votes - 0%
I
0 Votes - 0%
J
2 Votes - 66.67%
K
0 Votes - 0%
L
0 Votes - 0%
M
0 Votes - 0%
N
0 Votes - 0%
O
0 Votes - 0%
P
0 Votes - 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th May 2019
Here for the gear

Rap Vocal Shootout! 16 Mics Including Slate VMS, Lewitt LCT 840, WA-87...

Good day fellow GS'ers...

Today, I decided to do a mic shootout on my voice featuring a handful of different "mics". I am a rapper/emcee and think I have somewhat of a unique voice so I was hoping to get some opinions on what mic(s) you all think sounds best on my voice.

This test features a combination of mics from the Slate VMS system (Classic Tubes 1 & 2 + Blackbird Expansion) and a few other condenser and dynamic mics.

Here is a rundown of the mics I am testing out today...

Slate VMS Mics:
B-47 (Blackbird's Neumann U47)
B-251 (Blackbird's Telefunken 251)
B-67 (Blackbird's Neumann U67)
B-12 (Blackbird's AKG C12)
B-49 (Blackbird's Neumann M49)
FG-47 (Slate's Neumann U47)
FG-800 (Slate's Sony C800G)
FG-251 (Slate's Telefunken 251)
FG-67 (Slate's Neumann U67)
FG-12 (Slate's AKG C12)
FG-M7 (Slate's Shure SM7b)
FG-800m (Slate's Sony C800G - modified)
FG-269 (Slate's Neumann M269)

Other Mics:
Lewitt LCT 840
Warm Audio WA-87 (Neumann U87i model)
Shure SM58

For the purpose of keeping the shootout as consistent as possible, I ran all of the mics (even the non Slate mics) into the Slate VMS One preamp which captures a transparent/flat signal and inside my DAW I decided to use the FG-73 preamp set to -40 on the virtual drive.

So essentially, you're hearing all of these mics through a Neve 1073 preamp with moderate gain.

None of these takes have an ounce of processing whatsoever. No eq, no compression, and no reverb/delay. Completely dry. I placed the capsule just below my lip (very slightly off-axis), with the pop filter 6 inches away and my distance from the capsule was 6-8 inches on each take.

The signal path is as follows:
MIC -> FG-73 (Neve 1073) -> Line In on Presonus Firestudio (DAC) -> FL Studio 20.

Acoustics are important and I've been subject to "comb filtering" in the past.
So my vocal booth is 100% by GIK Acoustics -- shout out to Glenn and James for helping me set it up. If you're curious, it's 3 GIK PIBs (Portable Isolation Booths) and 2 GIK 244s installed on the ceiling as a cloud with a 4 inch air gap. The advice given by GIK was to record with the PIBs behind the mic, but I decided to place two of them behind me and one of them behind the mic. I feel like that has given me better results so far vs. the other way around but YMMV.

I wanted to conduct this test completely blind to eliminate any kind of pre-conceived bias (e.g. I should like the C800g most because it's expensive and everyone uses it now) with a beat in the background for context. I have decided to just letter each of the takes and present them here. I think I will reveal the mics after about 10 responses with my personal thoughts.

Please help me figure out which mic(s) work best on my voice!

A few more notes...

1. This is my very first mic shootout of any kind or magnitude. I have been rapping for a while, but currently don't have a go-to mic for my voice.

2. Mic shootouts, while a lot of fun, are very difficult to do (as I've learned today)! I have gained so much more appreciation for those who have gone before me with these!

3. I realize this shootout wont be the most scientific of shootouts. I only have two mic stands. More importantly, I only have one VMS One Preamp. So I could only record one mic at a time. That's fine with me; I'd actually rather place the mics in the same area and compare tone than ache and moan that they didn't come from the same performance. That being said, luckily all of the Slate Mics are from the same take as I just swapped out the emulations. The other three mics are separate performances. If you listen closely, that may give away the other three, but please treat each mic "anonymously" if you can. I tried my best to level match the takes to remove volume as a factor, but it's far from perfect. Please give me some grace!

Hope this provides further education for everyone. And I'm looking forward to all of your thoughts and experienced ears!
Attached Files

A.mp3 (388.5 KB, 420 views)

B.mp3 (388.5 KB, 406 views)

C.mp3 (388.5 KB, 395 views)

D.mp3 (388.5 KB, 398 views)

E.mp3 (388.5 KB, 400 views)

F.mp3 (388.5 KB, 395 views)

G.mp3 (388.5 KB, 408 views)

H.mp3 (388.5 KB, 399 views)

I.mp3 (388.5 KB, 392 views)

J.mp3 (388.5 KB, 404 views)

K.mp3 (388.5 KB, 391 views)

L.mp3 (388.5 KB, 399 views)

M.mp3 (388.5 KB, 392 views)

N.mp3 (388.5 KB, 398 views)

O.mp3 (388.5 KB, 401 views)

P.mp3 (388.5 KB, 397 views)

Old 11th May 2019
Here for the gear

Bump.
Old 16th May 2019
Here for the gear

Bump.
Old 19th May 2019
Here for the gear

Bump. Would really love to get some outside opinions...
Old 8th June 2019
Here for the gear
which mics are A & C?
Old 4th July 2019
Here for the gear

I'm so sorry you put so much work in it and no response...
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear
I liked C and O the best.
Did not like(Weaker sounding) B, E, K, L, N
The rest were inbewteen.

I did not spend long. Using sony 7506 headphones.

I would pick O

The choice could change of the vocals were lower in the mix.

The differances were not drastic. However I could tell there were two primary flavors. One of them is not as clear as the other. I have never used either system. I would guess that B E K L N were all one of the two systems. Did not like that one as much. I would guess the one I did not like is slate. Typically the more promoted the system is, the lesser quality it is. Good stuff gets word of mouth.

Last edited by elegentdrum; 5th July 2019 at 06:56 AM..
Old 9th July 2019
I voted.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search